• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Rebounding (defensive in particular)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

priceFTW

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
We were supposed to be a dominant rebounding team and simply haven't been. We knew the offense would take a while to gel, but felt that we would ameliorate for that initial awkwardness with crazy rebounding. It HASN'T happened. We knew we would have defensive issues but felt we could ameliorate for that with stout defensive rebounding. THAT hasn't happened either.

Earlier in the year, we had James leaking out more in transition expecting that Andy/Tristan/Love would clean up the boards. Didn't happen so James has gone in to rebound more and leaked out fewer times.

Currently, we are 15th in offensive rebounding and 15th in defensive rebounding and 12th in overall rebounding. We're simply a little above average. I don't think there is anyone on this board who thought we would be average on the boards 11 games in.

Honestly, as bad as we have been in so many areas, if we were the type of rebounding team we thought we were going to be, we would have at least 2 more wins right now. We've given up too many crucial points off of ORebs that have hurt us against the Knicks, Utah, Portland (in the first quarter, if we had rebounded well, we would have been up at least 10-12 in the first quarter as Portland was missing but getting ORebs), San Antonio, etc.

We all knew our defensive would have challenges, but thought that great defensive rebounding would help. We're currently 24th in defensive efficiency, but with elite defensive rebounding, we could get ourselves in the 18-19 range which would be really tremendous when the offense finally gets rolling.

So, what's the deal? Lack of effort? Not boxing out? Too much penetration allowed and subsequent reaction leaving opponents in good position to get ORebs? Nothing else has really surprised me other than our pedestrian rebounding.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."