1. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Resume Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jonmchugh, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jonmchugh

jonmchugh In the Rotation

Hey guys. Iwas thinking this could be a resume help / job searching thread because I know a lot of you on here own your own business or are in charge of the company that you work for or hire your own workers.

So what do you look for on resumes? I've done a lot of research on this and want to get my resume as good as it can get. So Ive read that it's bad to put an objective, dont list any references etc etc. So I guess my question is what makes a good resume. Which ones do you throw out within 10 seconds of reading and which ones do you take a real look at?

Thanks.

2. cavman

cavman I need your wifes number

With the amount of people looking for jobs companies have switched over to software that filters resumes by keywords. You should look up online some of the top keywords that are used and try to use those in your resume a few times. My sister did this and it worked for her.

3. jonmchugh

Yeah. I didn't realize they had software to filter those out. I'll have to go through mine and edit it some of those word.

As far as format goes what is the best way to format. On mine I have
    My work history listing my last 3 job, education and the last section I liat the computer skills that I have

4. Lord Mar

Lord Mar Master

Resume's suck ass. Do the best you can to gloat about yourself - anything you can think of, and try to tailor resumes to individual jobs or job markets. NEVER LIE on resumes.

Indeed.com

Google Drive has been awesome in my mission to find employment (management of documents).

Anyone will tell you (unless you're in the tech field or a contractor) that you should keep your resume to 1 page only (and really just the front page, even though I love double sided printing). Keep it simple.

Don't include references; they will get those if they need them (have 2 or 3 available).

Always include a cover letter, as short as it may be. Take a minute (or copy and paste) to explain your interest and involvement.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. FiveThous

FiveThous Redeux

Ive just taken a couple work offered resume shops, if you wanna pm me I can give you some tips.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Sixth Man

Your resume should be flexible in a way that you could change the words and list skills that would matter to the line of job you are applying for (highlights), they should show why you are qualified for the job. Long-winded resumes IMO are not as effective because a lot of employers do not look forward to reading most of the content, if anything the interview process is more important because you can truly show how you would handle yourself specially when given on-the-job scenarios.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lord Mar

Lord Mar Master

Interview process is definitely more important. But if you can't pass the initial corporate screening, you'll never get that interview.

1 person likes this.
  8. Lionheart

Lionheart Sixth Man

That's true, which is why I recommend a short, highlight-filled resume that fits the job description best. It is better to be able to conversate about details that may be left out of the resume than appear like the interviewee is just reciting what is ON the resume.

9. FiveThous

FiveThous Redeux

Heres how I breakdown my job duties

CSS Agent
    • Hired as Temp in November 2011 then hired in as permanent employee in April 2012
    • Recognized in February, March, April & August 2012 for outstanding customer reviews
    • Responsible for providing top of the line support and knowledge when assisting customers in the sales process
    • Active member of the activities committee in which we plan events to maintain a positive work environment
    • Ability to multi task by communicating through telephone, online chat support and email simultaneously
    • Daily use of Excel for maintaining and reporting sales

10. Lee

Lee Golden Shower Member

Dont forget to mention that you are a big fucking deal on RealCavsFans.com. That is how Max got his nacho job.

11. jonmchugh

yeah resumes can be a bitch sometimes. I have a decent job now but I don't make shit. it seems like all the call backs are from temp agencies and I don't want to leave a decent / permanent job for a temp agency. thanks all for the advice. my wife and are both having problems finding a decent job. i'm thinking about going back to school in January but I have no idea what on earth for. i'm thankful for the job I have now but it don't pay worth a damn. thanks guys for all the advice I really appreciate it

12. jonmchugh

I like how you use that. I work as a customer service rep for first energy now and don't really know how else to describe what I do. Here is what I have for my work history:

Sept 2012 - Present First Communications Fairlawn, OH
    Customer Service Professional
    • Answer phone calls concerning electric utility bill
    • Handle customer disputes in a timely manner
    • Assist supervisor with escalated customer complaints

Aug 2010 – Sept 2010 Donor Care Barberton, OH
    Customer Service Representative
    • Place 100s of outbound calls on an automatic dialer
    • Persuade customers to donate money to non-profit organizations
    • Follow scripts accurately and adhere to QA guidelines

Nov 2010 – July 2012 Javitch, Block & Rathbone Fairlawn, OH
    Electronic Docs Team
    • Receive in documents such as credit card statements, applications etc.
    • Determine if the right docs are present to sue a delinquent file
    • Classify court documents

I know it probably sucks. but that's what I got. thanks guys.

13. FiveThous

FiveThous Redeux

Were you ever recognized, did you ever move up or gain access to more duties?

Perhaps the assist supervisor with escalated customer complaints was something they decided to entrust you with and could be reworded:

Gained trust of supervisors to assist with customer complaint escalations.

Do you use excel, outlook, access? When they mentioned keywords for scanning excel tends to be a big one. I have it sprinkled in for a couple of my previous jobs for that reason alone.

14. Northstar

Northstar Gold Star Member

If you are a customer service rep you should put down some points like "always put the customer first," "represent employer professionally."

I think a good idea would be to try to find something that is not too defined in what you will do. I was hired as an mechanical engineer and was given an assignment in our shipping department, which was a mess when I took over. I slaughtered that assignment and now our shipping department is one of our top departments. I was rewarded with a promotion and now I am in charge of my own department (not engineering, and I don't need to be an engineer to have my current position). I only worked there for 15.5 months before being promoted.

I guess what I'm saying, is don't be afraid to take something that might mean you are given random assignments at time. If you show the aptitude to perform a wide variety of tasks, that will only help you. I can almost guarantee you that I would not have gotten the promotion if I did not accept the project and shown that I can do more than I was being asked to do.

I'll go ahead and PM you my resume that has all my personal info taken out of it. I had a pretty good rate of being called back for an interview to the places I sent it to.

15. jonmchugh

thanks northstar. i appreciate it. I mean I like my job. I like talking to people and helping them with any problems that I have. I use excell and word throughout the day. I also have a computer skills section at the bottom of my resume as well. I don't know if I should put that on my resume but I've read that it's a good idea to put that on there.

I do have good customer service skills. strong data entry (I can type up to 75 wpm) so I'm farily knowledgable with computers. thanks for all the help guys. realy appreciate it. figured id get laughed at creating another thread :)

16. jonmchugh

also guys, where have you had success finding jobs? I got my current job through careerbuilder. i've also used Monster, indeed, and craigslist. it seems like all of the postings on craigslist end up being scams anyways. are there any better ones out there?

17. FiveThous

FiveThous Redeux

All of this should be on there.

18. Northstar

Northstar Gold Star Member

Definitely put the computer skills on the resume. I have them at the bottom of mine. I sent you my resume and feel free to send me PM's if you have any questions. The computer skills I listed in mine have quite a few engineering programs if you are wondering what some of them are, but you should put anything that you use or have used.

The job I got was posted in the local newspaper. I used Careerbuilder to find other jobs though. I think the other one I found was a local business that I found on the local university's tech center site and then I searched their site for openings and applied to the one I would have been most qualified for... you might see if that route helps you more than the big sites. Local newspapers or simply company sites. That tells them you didn't just type a job description into a search engine.

19. David.

David. .

I was a recruiter and despite being one of the worst employees in the world, I generally never get turned down for a job (partly due to my particularly well written resumes and part due to my interview skills)

Lie on your resume. But make sure the lies are somewhat grounded in reality and are wrapped up in a nice bow. Actual companies, ideally that you worked for. Put down some hot points on what you accomplished at each job.

What we look for with resumes is longevity at positions, experience in a linear field, any sort of advancement from within is a positive, and what you generally accomplished there. You can create references with google voice numbers, and hopefully you have 3 friends that arent absolute dickheads that could vouch for you so you get a job.

Ive said it before John Mccugh and Ill say it again, get a fucking older brother

20. JDeezy

JDeezy NBA Starter

Sigh....

2 people like this.