• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Rondo Vs. Carlisle

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Douglar

Intentionally Grounded
Staff member
Reaction score
So that's where Mosley ended up. He's a bouncer in Dallas.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...ion-coach-rick-carlisle?ex_cid=espnnbaTwitter

The incident between Carlisle and Rondo occurred with 8:10 remaining in the third quarter Tuesday night after the point guard ignored a play call from the coach while bringing the ball up the floor. Carlisle angrily called timeout, stormed onto the court and shouted at Rondo.

Rondo responded by shouting back at Carlisle. They exchanged heated words for much of the timeout, prompting assistant coach Jamahl Mosley to stand in front of Rondo at one point to prevent Rondo and Carlisle from getting in each other's faces.

"Well, it's an emotional game, and we had a difference of opinion," Carlisle said after the game. "There was an exchange, and then in my mind, it was over."​

The press conference with Carlisle was intense too. He got into with a reporter. Or, a reporter got into it with him.

It was something like:

Reporter asks about the incident, Carlisle says he's not gonna comment on it. Reporter asks again a different way. Carlisle says he's not gonna comment and he'll make whatever coaching decisions he wants.

Carlisle: "How many other ways do you want me answer the same question?"

Reporter (annoyed): "One. You haven't even answered it yet!"

*Carlisle just angrily stares at him for about 6 seconds*

View: https://vine.co/v/OQl2OvmUV39

No joke.

just suspended for 1 game. supposedly they got into it in the locker room too.

rondo is an immature hothead douchebag - who knew?!

*Carlisle just angrily stares at him for about 6 seconds*

The Carlisle death stare vs. Kobe death stare !!
UvuMW.gif

Why don't we have any animated gift of the Carlisle with the death stare?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...ow-pieces-coming-together-cleveland-cavaliers

While tension between players and coaches can occasionally erupt in public view, the incident itself is not as damning as the casual fan might assume (ESPN's Ethan Strauss wrote about the public curse outs between Warriors head coach Steve Kerr and Draymond Green).

However, it is indicative of the rising tension between Carlisle and Rondo, a tension that originates from a predictable source: the incongruence of Rondo's style (predicated on the ball being in his hands and him creating shots for teammates) vs the Mavs' offense (the ball moves and doesn't stick and the "system" creates shots). I'm not saying one way is better than the other, but I am saying they are very different and hard to mesh, something I talked about on SportsCenter when the deal was consummated.

Rondo was undoubtedly a defensive upgrade, but offensively the fit isn't there, and as an unrestricted free agent, he poses a flight risk. The Mavs are now faced with the Catch-22 of choosing between keeping a player who isn't a match for them, or having given up a first-round pick for a rental.​

Carlisle can be a giant dick, Rondo can be a diva. I don't know whose side to take, they're both champions!

So, looks like the Lakers are lock to sign Rondo to a possible MAX contract this summer :chuckle:.

Or, does Cuban side with Rondo on this....?

So, looks like the Lakers are lock to sign Rondo to a possible MAX contract this summer :chuckle:.

Or, does Cuban side with Rondo on this....?

As I said before, no one is offering Rondo a max contract.

No one..

ESPN already had an article on this earlier. It's not likely he gets anywhere even close to a max. If he wants max money, he'll have to sign a short-term deal, opt-out in 2017, and renegotiate a better contract.

But yeah, it's very likely the Lakers and the Knicks will pursue Rondo, but it's doubtful either team will toss him excessively lucrative offers.

Every time I see this thread, I keep thinking that the thread title should read "Carlisle wins by TKO." :chuckle:

I take Carlisle over Rondo all day. Coaching gets great teams over the hump. Rondo's antics played a much larger role in the destruction of the Boston big 3.

He just hasn't been the same player since that ACL injury. He's a great distributor and good on the ball defender, but he's not going to make you pay on the offensive end in regards to scoring the basketball.

No way he gets max money. Any team that's dumb enough to toss max money his way (which would TOTALLY be a New York Knicks move, by the way) deserves to be mired in pure suckage for the next half a decade at least.

Also, I'd take Carlisle over Rondo any day. Point guard is far and away the deepest position in the league. It's a lot tougher to find a competent coach.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."