1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Royce White's Implosion

Discussion in 'Around The NBA' started by Triumph36, Nov 14, 2012.

?

How will Royce do this season?

1. Gets in gear and lives up to his potential

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Looks great on on a team of scrubs, but doesn't give houston any regrets.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Gets on the floor a couple times. Doesn't make a compelling case for more minutes.

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  4. Doesn't play a game. Reaffirms all the negative sterotypes that mental illess has.

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

Not that people didn't see this coming, but it seems things are getting rough down in Houston. Too lazy to summarize everything but basically: White got pissed about the way in which the Rox were handling him (playing time, doctor visits, etc) and after meeting with Morey last week, things seem to have came to a head over the past few days. Rox were gonna send him down to the D-League but he bailed on practices and Dr. visits, so is now being fined for everything he misses. He's spent much of the day going off on twitter ( https://twitter.com/Highway_30/with_replies ).

Honestly, I think he has a serious case of entitlement and a me-first attitude. Yes, he has anxiety issues. But you don't earn playing time because of that; you earn it because of what you do on the court. A lot of the Rockets rookies have hardly played so it's not like he's even being singled out anyway. The Rockets have been more than accommodating...he doesn't even have to travel with the team most of the time ffs.

The Doctor stuff is a little more complicated. But I don't see why he wouldn't try things with the Dr. the team arranged - he/she is likely much more qualified than the person White has been seeing.

Anyway, it looks like the situation is going to get even more interesting.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

The kid makes Delonte West seem an even keeled guy who can cope with whatever life throws at him.

I gotta think the Rockets would have been happier picking Tyler Zeller at #16 in hindsight.

• Like Like x 7
  3. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

Feel bad for the guy. Both sides have valid points.

I definitely appreciate how well spoken he is. At least he is expressing his concerns in a clear manner. He's outspoken but not aggressive.

4. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

no matter how well-spoken he is, the social media method probably isn't the best approach, lol.

i'm just not sure what else the rockets can do in an attempt to satisfy him.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Douglar

I don't feel bad for the Rockets. They guaranteed $3mil to a guy who seems incapable of doing what they hired him to do. From what I read, the main reason they took Royce at the time was they thought another team wanted him. Maybe Royce could have worked on a team of vets, but he was clearly a bad choice on a team that was thinking about building through the draft. In this case, mental illness is a locker room cancer. Whatever. The Rockets got Hardin. How can you feel bad for them?

I don't feel bad for Royce either. He's a millionaire at 21 and a professional basketball player. Or at least he would be if he just gets his ass to practice. I don't feel sorry for a guy that holds out to get softer contract than all his peers and then can't live up to the watered down terms. If his illness was that bad, maybe he should have taken some time off before playing pro-ball on the big stage. He'll likely get a chance to strengthen his coping skills out of the lime light and in the Turkish pro league if he keeps this up.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

to be fair, the Rockets had 3 picks in 12-18 range so they could kinda afford to roll the dice. if he were their only pick then yeah it's obv a bad pick.

had they drafted zeller, he probably wouldn't even be playing either. look at donatas. he played real well in summer league (lol, i know) and held his own in pre-season.....now he's down in the d-league.

but yeah i agree white is really shooting himself in the foot here. tough to imagine things getting totally back on track in houston, and of course other teams are taking note of how he is handling this situation.

7. Douglar

I think we agree that they were taking chances, but I think they were taking chances on players they thought other teams wanted so they could make deals, not on talent that they wanted to develop.

In hindsight, Zeller would have been a great fit next to Asik. At the time, they didn't have Asik or Aldrich so that's all hindsight. I don't think they were drafting for team fit anyway. They were drafting for trade value and they thought Zeller would fall to 18 for them.

I'm just still happy they waive Leuer. I'd be even happier if Leuer hit some shots for the Cavs.

8. Numbers Guy

Numbers Guy 1234567890

Alright, I'll offer my opinion on this as I myself suffer from an extreme case of social anxiety. This guy, while I'm sure suffers from an anxiety disorder of some sort, is clearly exaggerating and taking advantage of the situation. I am deathly afraid of heights, roller coasters, airplanes etc. just the same.. so our situations are very similar. The difference here.. no one in my life knows of my disorder outside my family.. not even the girl I had been in a relationship with for over 2 years. Royce, on the other hand, is just very immature and thinks everything should be handed to him because he has a "mental disorder" which he makes sure to note in all of his twitter posts.

I kind of thought it was odd in one of the documentaries he did.. that he was perfectly fine talking to the camera .. but when asked to go to the draft room he had prepared.. he all of a sudden couldn't handle it. How can you talk to a camera.. but not go into a room with family? If I was put into a room and asked questions while being filmed.. that would be a lot harder on me than going into a room of family and friends.. but, everyone is different.

Those with those disorder, generally, stay away from attracting attention.. you won't catch me on a basketball court with 20,000 staring at me, in a heavily crowded area, or attracting attention on twitter because I know my limitations and I just can't do it.. and I know that.

I'll tell you what Royce suffers from, selfish, immature athlete syndrome. He wants to bus everywhere, thinks playing time should be handed, wants his own doctor, and left the team after they sent him to the dleague.

This guy is not bringing awareness to this disorder, he's making a mockery of it.

Stay away from Twitter, Royce.

• Like Like x 25
  9. Walter White

Walter White All-Star

Albuquerque. My house is the one with the pizza on
    Meh.

10. KB

KB NBA Starter

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--royce-white-s-battle-with-rockets-over-aniexty-disorder-could-cost-him-nba-career-16011709.html;_ylt=AjwJWXl5aHq47HF.F5lncBm8vLYF;_ylu=X3oDMTRranBrOHQ3BG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE5CQSBFeHBlcnRzBHBrZwMzYzA3ZTllZC0xMDJmLTNhODctYTQwMS02ZWQ3NjI3MjFkOWEEcG9zAzQEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaXhlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgMyZGE5NjA0My0zMDJlLTExZTItYmZlYi1lYjhlYmZlNjEwODQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTFoNjVvZWVyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuYmEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  11. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

wojo absolutely kills it as per usual

• Like Like x 5
  12. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

This

13. Kizzle

Kizzle In the Rotation

Damn

14. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

Remember how much we all used to hate Wojo?

• Like Like x 5
  15. tn819

tn819 Situational Stopper

He is probably the best NBA journalist out there currently. He certainly knocks the socks off any ESPN coverage of anything NBA-related.

16. Adam

Adam Reading and reacting

He has a chance to be the only guy in the NBA to be in debt to the team that pays him. incredible

17. Douglar

He'll even call you at home and challenge you to a fist fight to make his point!

But seriously, what about that Windhorst guy? Wojo can rant, but Windhorst can write.

• Like Like x 8
  18. KB

KB NBA Starter

I'm pretty sure Windy has an article on the whole Royce White implosion irrc

I just couldn't get to it because of the firewall at work

EDIT:

Must have been a part of one the podcasts Windy pops up on everynow and then because I can't find the article I thought he had written

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  19. Kizzle

Kizzle In the Rotation

I can't get on White because Iv never had anxiety problems. But as a player man.....I see Lebron James in him. When I watch his highlights I see a Lebron James not as athletic but has the same MIND as Lebron and is athletic ENOUGH to make his visions reality. Lebron can make the impossible possible but white has a great style and ability. Alot of people say if he didn't have his disorder he could've went top 5. I may not agree because he isn't explosive with it but he would definitely be in the top 10.

I hope he plays in the NBA. If people didn't give up on Delonte West(who I think is just crazy ) they shouldn't give up on White. One thing he has to realize tho....it's either get over your fears or never play in the NBA. I hope his disorder doesn't destroy his basketball life. He's a guy the NBA is gonna enjoy watching when he finally does get on the court.

20. Czvosec

Czvosec All-Star

Yeah, that's bulllshit.

I think White has a right to be leery of a doctor the team hand-picked for him to see. For one thing, there's probably a level of trust that White has developed with his own doctor, one that he doesn't have with this new person. And two, we see doctors that work for teams all the time just relay what the franchise wants for the player, and that's not always what's best. To just say that because the Rockets picked him/her out makes him/her more qualified is ignorant.

(Now, I'm more than willing to change my stance on this if we find out the qualifications of both this doctor and White's, but we don't have that.)

• Like Like x 1