• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Samsung Vs Apple

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rookie

Sixth Man
Reaction score
Sorry if there is a topic on this already, didn't see one.

With the release of the Iphone 6/plus and the Note 4, I wanted to get some of your guys thoughts on it.
I've been a Samsung fan boy since the Samsung Galaxy Vibrant/Captivate line came out and I've always upgraded to another Galaxy phone over the years.
Now i'm up for another contract extension and I'm a bit torn this time. I'm liking the Iphone 6 plus very much (even tho its bit of a rip off of the note. Way to backtrack apple)
So my question is to those that have had both a Samsung or Iphone, which do you like best? or for Apple fan boys, what can an Iphone bring to the table? I will say though, I'm no stranger to apple. I've had 3 different Itouches, including the newest one. Are the Iphones and Itouches vastly different?
What I like about Samsung phones is the crazy customization. There is nothing like Korean apps, I'll probably miss that the most so are there any apps that let you put themes on your Iphone without jail breaking it?

Well you know what the Samsung is all about. Most carriers have a 30 day return policy. So give the iphone a shot and if you don't like it they'll probably let you trade it back in for a Samsung.

I switched from a galaxy to an iPhone this generation and I'm never going back. It's the most stable, reliable phone I've ever had. I still prefer android to iOS but it's just a minor preference, iOS is good once you get used to it. My iPhone has never turned itself off for no reason and the battery life is phenomenal - my 2 biggest complaints with the galaxy.

iTunes is awful but I live with it. The build quality of the phone is fantastic and I like the size also. I have a 5s

I started with android and I absolutely hated it, sticking with iPhone, iOS is so much easier to me and I love the design of the iPhone...i can't upgrade until February but I'll definitely be getting the 6...seems like 4.7 is the prefect size for phones...the 6 plus just looks too big

What's funny about the perennial iPhone VS Samsung and/or Android battle is that there is no real factual justification for either side of the argument.

It's incredible the level of loyalty that both of these brands have generated and it really (for me, at least) comes down to a battle of personal preference. For example, I might absolutely love a t-shirt design to death and want to buy it 10 times. The person sitting next to me might think it's the most atrocious piece of shit they've ever seen. The t-shirt caters directly to my preferences but doesn't resonate at all with the preferences and cultural values of the person beside me.

This is the same deal with Apple and Samsung. Those that love each respective platform will vehemently defend it to the death. I'm an iPhone man personally as I prefer minimalistic simplicity and integration across all my Apple products. I also prefer that everything is done in-house and is controllable by Apple so that whenever there's a fault or an issue (and this has happened to me before), they're able to isolate it and solve it immediately.

But I can definitely understand why Samsung users prefer the device and why it's so popular. Samsung gives you more flexibility to customize what you want, when you want it. It's also messy and erratic :) And this goes back to basic needs of the consumer. I personally don't care much for phone customization. I love the GUI of the iPhone and all iOS operating systems (especially iOS7). It's clean, it's simple and it's incredibly easy to navigate. It also caters for every feature I - as a customer and a user - could ever desire. However the person beside me might hate the fact that nothing can be customized, citing Samsung's ability to completely overhaul the design and functionality of their device as a huge pro when distinguishing between the two.

There will never really be an outright winner, and that's because out of the 7 billion people on this planet, we're all a bunch of apples and oranges :)

giphy.gif

The only thing that keeps me away from the iPhone is the lack of an sd Card slot. I have a lot of music and use a 64 gig sd Card for my s4. Is there a particular reason why apple refuses to add sd slots? I'm assuming that it's all about the money with charging more for more storage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have had the iPhone since the 3GS and when my contract is up in February I am switching to the Note4 or the G3 (unless another nice phone comes out within the next 6 months). It is simple, easy to navigate and overall pretty snappy. But with the people saying the iPhone's never randomly restarts or slows down every once in a while is not true. I have the 5 and it will do that every so often. I know others with iPhone 5s that does as well.

I am not all for the crazy ass customization you can do with Androids. I feel I will still keep it pretty simple when I get one of those. I am not going to put every widget I can possibly do just b/c I can. I like you can do more things with the Note. The G3 has a lot of great qualities but heard the battery can be quite draining. But it also is the cheapest out of the bunch by at least $100.

I am probably going to get the Note4 and be extremely happy. I will also take a look at the HTC One M8. I watch a lot of videos and music on my phone and the 2 speakers will come in handy for me, even though it is not as great as the Note4. The price will be pretty low too by February.

Edit: HTC usually releases their new phones in Q1 of the year. So the rumored M9 and M9 Prime may come out around my contract end date, as well.

Last edited:
I personally went with Samsung when I upgraded last year because I wanted the bigger phone/screen. I don't really have anything against Apple other than their bullshit refusal to use a USB port like every other goddamn piece of technology I own.

I had an iphone 4s and an ipad and frankly I didn't like either. I felt limited in what I could do with them, not that I'm very tech savy at all. Since then I have gone to a galaxy and lenovo lap top. There is something about the iphone culture that turns me off too. Having to do any fixes at the apple store is a major pain and when I went in there I felt like I was in a cult.

I refuse to go back to the apple sheeple.

Yeah, I'm agree with that member, hectic it to use iphone, that is iPhone is the lack of an sd Card slot

I've had a Samsung Galaxy and an iPhone, and while my current iPhone is the more recent of the two (so maybe not a 100% fair comparison), my experience is that I like the iPhone 1000x better. It's not actually related to usability, which I thought it would, but more to stability. My Galaxy would freeze all the time, I could barely use cell data because it killed the battery on the phone (and I was pretty good about keeping the apps from accessing data when closed, etc). The iPhone seems to do a great job with battery management, it's powerful as hell, and I've always like the seamless nature and smoothness of the scrolling, etc.

Apple maps is a downgrade, but it's easily solved for me because I just use Google Maps instead. Although they both get things wrong on occasion, and not always in the same way. The other downside about the iPhone is coming from a Windows-style file management system, not having a convenient way to organize and access files is really cumbersome to me. Perhaps others are more used to it, but I've heard this complain from many people. It's not always clear how files are stored and how to get to them.

Overall though, the iPhone has just seemed to do the things it does better than my Galaxy did. Will I ever go back to Samsung? I'm not sure -- I feel like judging them on an earlier generation of phone might not be fair, so I'm not opposed to giving them another shot. But a phone is a pretty big investment these days, and Apple has sure made a better first impression on me than Samsung (these two were my first and only phones of each brand).

The thing I've never understood is the specs war. Having played with a lot of phones, small differences in specs between each brand are completely insignificant to the user experience to me. It seems much more about how the phone/OS handles resources, battery life, etc. I used to pay attention to things like benchmarks, but they just fall flat to me now. Mostly I just want my phone to not freeze, randomly shut off, and work very smoothly for everything I want to do.

The one last thing that I have really liked about the iPhone is the ability to upgrade the OS when it is released. I've never had a Nexus, so this ability was new to me, and I much, much prefer it to sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for Samsung to make whatever changes they were going to make to Android/TW before releasing the update.

Brandname summed up my thoughts pretty well. My iPhone 5s is still going strong, doesn't crash, apps always work, and once you get used to iOS it really isn't a bad operating system. Plus the battery life is amazing, I can go 2 days with moderate usage before it dies. And did I mention it doesn't crash? I don't know how many times my Galaxy would just be off with 3/4 of its battery full when I would go to check it after not hearing it make a peep for a few hours. It caused me to have to get an old school alarm clock because I could never trust it to not turn itself off while I slept and wake me up with the alarm. No such worries with the iPhone, alarm clock is in a box somewhere.

Now that the iPhone 6 is out, you can probably get a 5s for a lot cheaper than I paid for mine. I recommend that route if anyone is thinking about an iPhone. I haven't touched nor really even read about the 6, but the 5 is fucking amazing and plenty fast for the next several years of technology at least. Just because you get an iPhone, doesn't mean you turn into an apple tard who trades in perfectly good equipment for the latest thing at a substantial loss. I didn't. I couldn't care less about the 6 because my 5 is fantastic.

People get caught up with Apple vs. Samsung... but Samsung doesn't even make the best Android device in my opinion. The Nexus 5 (Android's flagship device) is the best phone I've ever owned. Great size, battery life, and reliability... along with everything else.

Still think in February (may upgrade early) I am going to go with the new HTC M8, Note4 or LG G3.

If anyone happens to grab one of these phones, let me know how you like them.

Android.

People think the two are equivalent. They aren't.

Android phones are far more open platforms.
As Jack said, you can use standard USB, that's very important.
You do not need iTunes to be installed -- any platform can interface with you phone.
Rooting the phone is easier (single-click in most instances)
Advanced apps for advanced users.
SD Card slot is something I can't live without.
More customizable.
The Galaxy S5 is a fantastic phone, is water-resistant, has gorilla glass screen, and is blazingly fast.

The list goes on and on...

If it matters, the answer is Android; if it doesn't matter, get whichever phone has your preferred OS.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."