• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Scientists at CERN announce discovery: Higgs Boson.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

gourimoko

Fighting the good fight!
Reaction score
Well, it's 6:17 A.M. and I've watched the press conference. I'm going to sleep. Thought this was worthy of discussion. For anyone interested, the Higgs mechanism of the Standard Model is the process by which otherwise massless particles are imbued with mass. Without it, there could be no atomic or molecular interaction; the entire universe would consist of nothing but energy distributed uniformly around it's perimeter.

Thanks to the Higgs mechanism (it's quanta/force carrier being the Higgs boson), we have the Universe we see today and life can exist.

Congratulations to the team at CERN!

The entire thing you just posted is in a different language to me.

right, but what does this all mean now as far as GOD/Evolution is concerned?

AND,,,what can we do with this discovery now? Will it be of any use to us in any way possible?

right, but what does this all mean now as far as GOD/Evolution is concerned?

not sure if serious...

AND,,,what can we do with this discovery now? Will it be of any use to us in any way possible?

Understanding the reason particles have mass means we might be able to, eventually, manipulate that process. That would be the ultimate of ultimates; but thus far is certainly not on the horizon.

Something to understand is there is a direct connection between mass and gravity. A more complete understanding of the Higgs mechanism, particularly by analysis and observation of the Higgs boson, will lead to a more complete theory of gravity that is compatible and potentially unifiable with our current understanding of the other 3 forces,

fec3392b0dc073244d38eba1feb8e6b7.jpg

There is a reason I got a C in physics.

I had heard the rumor they found it, wasn't sure it was true. Pretty amazing...only took 5 decades, 10,000 scientists, billions of $$$ and a 27km super collider to find "God's particle". I'll have to track down the presser.

Basically they couldn't understand what binds matter together.

Example: A wall is compossed of elements filled with electrons, neutrons, protons. The area in between is the god particle. Without it, we'd be able to walk through walls. It really does nothing with God

The Big Bang Theory is going to have a field day with this. I see at least one episode about it coming next season.

The important question is "now what?" or "what's next?"

The Big Bang Theory is going to have a field day with this. I see at least one episode about it coming next season.

The important question is "now what?" or "what's next?"

There's still the problem of trying to unify all Four Fundamental Forces of physics in one, elegant equation. I imagine the discovery of the Higgs-Boson might give insights into just how gravity fits in with the other three (electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force).

There's also the problem of trying to unify General Relativity (how things work in the "macro" universe) and Quantum Mechanics (how things work in the "micro" universe) in one, elegant equation. Since these two scientific theories have been demonstrated to be accurate to the 20th+ decimal place, how is it they can be so at odds with each other... and at what point (and why) does one give way to the other?

The math predicted that the particle should exist. Particularly this math from a ted talk a few years ago

[video=youtube;y-Gk_Ddhr0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Gk_Ddhr0M[/video]

In terms of theoretical phsyics, this is a big fucking deal. As in the biggest theoretical physics find in history.

They smashed sub atomic particles together and analyzed the tracks the particles left behind (weight, length, etc). When you hit a field or source of energy it can give of a force or particle (E=MC2). Some say the higgs is made up of sub pieces, most say its a stand alone. The debate will go on for years.

Its the missing mass/piece required to make all the calculations in science to make sense, otherwise known as the god particle.

Whats crazy is they built this building in switzelrand just 2 fucking years ago. Its like finding the holy grail of science. They engineered everything correctly. Incredible.

The thread title is misleading. They tecnically haven't discovered the Higgs Boson. The have not directly measured it.

However they have enough indirect empirical evidence to confidently infer its existence. There is a difference.

let's flex those brain muscles boys...

...conversely, oddily enough this is not conclusive. the essential idea is not an underlining fact but just that of a distant futuristic outcome. let's all review the evidence and communicate with bigger words...

Space elevator, Gour?

Also good to hear, glad I read it here first.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."