• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Sione Takitaki Round 3 Linebacker

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Randolphkeys

I'm Just Second-hand Strus
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
AnimatedPlumpChameleon-size_restricted.gif

From PFF:

A former edge defender turned off-ball linebacker in 2018, Takitaki earned an 88.6 run-defense grade with BYU, ranking tied for 13th with Kansas’ Joe Dineen Jr. among qualifiers. Takitaki also earned a 75.9 coverage grade across 365 coverage snaps in 2018.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/04/06/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-interview-sione-takitaki-byu/

Meet Sione Takitaki, BYU's gem of an LB prospect
Zachary Hicks | April 6, 2019 11:38 am

If your favorite team is looking for a steal of a linebacker in the 2019 NFL draft, BYU’s Sione Takitaki might just be your man.

A versatile prospect with a well-rounded skill set, Takitaki recently spoke exclusively with Draft Wire about his unique journey at BYU, why his passion for the game and help from his wife helped keep him on the path to success, and what kind of skill set he brings to the next level.

ZH: I read that you were recruited by a ton of schools that included Wisconsin, Washington State, and Utah. Why did you end up choosing BYU?
ST: I grew up LDS, I grew up a Mormon kid, so BYU was always one of the schools that I was always looking at, because my mom and my family wanted me to go there. So that was the main reason why I decided to attend BYU.

ZH: You struggled a bit early in your career with some off-field issues, but really turned that around the last two seasons. What was the key to really turning your life around?
ST: I just really loved the game. I really loved football, I met my wife on that journey, and you know from a maturity standpoint, I got my head on right and like I said, I want to be a football player. I know I have a big opportunity and it was all in my hands, so I finally just screwed my head on right and attacked it.

ZH: How difficult was it to manage your time between your marriage, schoolwork, and football those last few years at BYU?
ST: It was difficult. BYU is a great university and you really have to prepare for the schoolwork and all that stuff. It’s all about priorities you know and managing your time. Once I leave the facility, I can leave football there, and like I said, it’s all about time management.

ZH: That turnaround was evident when you were named team captain in 2018. What did it mean to you to receive that honor after all you’ve been through?
ST: It meant a lot just because I stuck it out with them at BYU. I had a lot of friends and coaches that have helped me, so when I got that team captain, it kind of felt good because I was close with my teammates in the locker room. I felt like it was just a big step for my final year, and I thank God for all of that.

ZH: On the field, you made the transition from defensive end to linebacker this past year. Was that position change difficult for you?
ST: Prior to 2017, I played 3-4 outside linebacker, so that’s where coaches got to putting me at DE because I was rushing quite a bit, so I made the switch. And then in 2018, I went back to stack linebacker, middle linebacker/outside backer. To answer your question, though, it wasn’t too difficult at all. I’ve always rushed and known how to play physical, so I learned a lot from both positions, and I’m happy that I played DE and linebacker.

ZH: After that great senior season, you were invited to the East-West Shrine Game. How was that experience for you?
ST: It was awesome, man. I met a lot of good athletes there. I was able to meet a lot of scouts and do a lot of testing that the NFL wants, and I just feel like it was a great learning week. Learning a new scheme and things like that, but I had a great time down there. I went there and put my best foot forward and dominated a lot of the drills and practices.

ZH: Following the Shrine Game, you were also a late add to the Senior Bowl roster. How were those two events different for you?
ST: It was just different because I really did a lot of the testing and met a lot of the scouts at the East-West game the week before. I thought it was a good thing though. It was kind of tiring, doing the back-to-back where you stay up late nights, where you get minimum sleep, and they ask you to perform at a high level in practice. I flew back to California from Florida and then I got the call, so I think that was the most difficult thing, having to fly from the East coast to the West coast then back to the East coast in that little time in three days.

ZH: Who in the NFL do you compare your game to most/ model your game after?
ST: I don’t really have anyone to compare myself to, but I do watch a lot of film on guys in the NFL right now. Guys like Bobby Wagner, Luke Kuechly, Von Miller. All of the greats, I definitely watch all kinds of film on them.

ZH: What is my team getting if I spend a draft pick on Sione Takitaki?
ST: First and foremost, you are going to get a guy who loves football. I’m doing this because I love this game. You are going to get a hard worker and also a guy who has never been hurt. There are a lot of players who are good but they have had like 5 surgeries. I haven’t had one surgery, I’m healthy as an ox, and I’m ready to play special teams or defense or wherever you need me. I’m ready to go.

You are also getting a locker room guy. I’m cool with all walks of life and backgrounds. I’m comfortable with everyone and I let the coaches coach. I think those key things are really important for me and what you’d be getting with me.

I have more worry about the dude being a Mormon that any other off-the-field trait. That shows some questionable decision making.

I have absolutely no input on this guy, but if he's an athletic LB that our front office had ranked highly? Let's get him into orange and brown.

I have more worry about the dude being a Mormon that any other off-the-field trait. That shows some questionable decision making.

I have absolutely no input on this guy, but if he's an athletic LB that our front office had ranked highly? Let's get him into orange and brown.

You have to understand that it is a cultural thing. Lots of Pacific Islanders joined the church because of missionaries going to the islands. In general, those families are more stable due to rampant drug and alcoholism on many of the islands.

It's not my thing, but I respect that it is a cultural center point.

He reeminds me a bit of Genard Avery, not in style of play, but as a tweener edge/lb that the Browns think they can mold. His reel shows mostly speed plays, but he tested high at the combine in all facets. It may of been a pick based on need, certainly the shallowest position group on the team. We can't get greedy all the time.

This dudes violent as fuck.

And that’s why we drafted him. He will bring something we’ve been missing at LB.

Don't know much about the guy, but Wolfe mentioned the Wisconsin game...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xT3Acc3E_k

Color me slightly unimpressed by that. He seemed to get stronger as the game went on, which was nice. Early on, he seemed to get wrapped up by lineup easily. The announcer mentioned Wis had some second string linemen in half way through the clip, where Takitaki seems to start doing better. He seems to be adequate in coverage at least.

(...I also seemed to find myself watching 53 or 33 (one of those two, I think) more than 16)

Obviously you can see some tools there.

Relentless type of player with really good speed.

Needs to get himself in better position to power down and not overrun plays. Needs to get a bit stronger perhaps.

Not super excited right now, but in 6 months, I’ll be excited or I’ll have forgotten all about him. 3rd round seems a little high to draft someone who looks like a special teams guy.

Don't know much about the guy, but Wolfe mentioned the Wisconsin game...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xT3Acc3E_k

Color me slightly unimpressed by that. He seemed to get stronger as the game went on, which was nice. Early on, he seemed to get wrapped up by lineup easily. The announcer mentioned Wis had some second string linemen in half way through the clip, where Takitaki seems to start doing better. He seems to be adequate in coverage at least.

(...I also seemed to find myself watching 53 or 33 (one of those two, I think) more than 16)

I watched that game. BYU played Wisconsin harder in the trenches than any non - Big Ten team I'd seen in a long time. Takitaki wasn't one of those physical specimens that won them the game though. In this game he was fairly good in coverage and staying out of the trenches to make plays in space. For me, he wasn't the best defender out there for BYU or the player to watch.

I thought some prospects ranked ahead of Takitaki weren't as good: Mack Wilson and Tre Lamar are overrated. I'd take Takitaki over Coney as well. I just thought the third round is a round too early considering the other talent out there.

This front office has a great track record, so let's see how it goes.

This is an Eliot Wolf pick. If you listen to the presser, Zo basically said that Eliot has personally scouted this player for years and could tell that he loved him. He stood on a table for this guy. The front office clearly agreed with what was uncovered.

I think Wolf is very sharp and I’m inclined to trust these guys. After digging back through anything I could find on Takitaki post-pick, I’m ashamed I didn’t know much about him previously. The guy is a heat-seeking missile. And, shockingly, he’s extremely natural off-ball and in space for someone who didn’t even convert to ILB until this past season. Slimmed down from 255 to 238 to play linebacker, and emerged as a late bloomer. Great tackler in space, great play speed. This could be a gem.

"Questionable decision making" from a young player is beating your girlfriend. Or getting into lots of bar fights. Or murdering two guys after leaving the club. Or running when the cops question you outside a food truck. LDSers are wierdos but it shows dedication on his part

"Questionable decision making" from a young player is beating your girlfriend. Or getting into lots of bar fights. Or murdering two guys after leaving the club. Or running when the cops question you outside a food truck. LDSers are wierdos but it shows dedication on his part

Let's just say it was a biased potshot that shouldn't have been said. Bringing up religion is probably one of the dumber things I could have done on a sports forum.

Was more joke than serious.

I was surprised yesterday when it only had a single dislike. Expected double digits. Seems to be getting there now.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."