• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Sixers Tried Hard to Trade MCW, Will Continue Too

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Simon

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Report: 76ers 'tried hard' to trade Michael Carter-Williams

BY SI WIRE
Email
Posted: Tue Oct. 14, 2014
The Philadelphia 76ers "tried hard" to trade Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams before the NBA draft, Grantland's Zach Lowe reports.

Carter-Williams, the No. 11 pick in the 2013 draft out of Syracuse, averaged 16.7 points, 6.3 assists and 6.2 rebounds per game last season. He may miss the start of this season as he recovers from offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. Despite being tabbed as the league's top first-year, Lowe reports Philadelphia wanted to trade him, but didn't receive offers as good as they expected.

They tried hard during the draft, but they couldn’t draw the trove they envisioned or guarantee that the player they wanted with an acquired pick would be there, per several league sources. Expect Philly to repeat the exercise. It’s not a shot at Carter-Williams, or even a signal that the Sixers are dying to trade him. He may well end up a long-term cog in Philly.

The team knows point guard is the most replaceable position in the league today, and it will seek out any deal that adds to its stockpile of high-value draft picks.

General manager Sam Hinkie has focused on building the team through the draft. He traded All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday during the 2013 draft for a package that included Nerlens Noel, who missed all of last season while recovering from a torn ACL. The 76ers selected former Kansas center Joel Embiid with the No. 3 pick in the 2014 draft, and his status for this season is uncertain after he had surgery on his foot in June. Hinkie traded for Croatian forward Dario Saric in the draft, and he will not join the team for at least two more seasons.

Philadelphia finished last season 19-63 and have reportedly drew the ire of opponents for "tanking." Lowe reported earlier this month that the NBA is considering changing the draft lottery system to eliminate the incentive to have a bad record and receiving a high pick.

The 76ers start the regular season on Oct. 29 against the Indiana Pacers.

Not too many teams that really need a PG at this point. Maybe Kings or Pistons could take a look. Lakers probably wish.

I never understood why Philly wants to trade him. Just do not get it at all.

MCW plays a lot like Tyreke Evans, initiating the pick and roll to put up big stats but not really getting everyone else in rhythm. It makes some sense to move him for more assets if he can't impact wins.

This team is trying to completely tank.

If they successfully traded him for Samardo Samuels and Ryan Hollins, I firmly believe they'd lose every single game of an 82 game season.

Right now outside of Embiid and maybe Noel everybody is tradeble for Sixers. I think they want Emmanuel Muiday in this draft if they can trade MCW if not they wanna get one of those wings.

When was the last time we saw such a dedicated tank job? This is some pretty unprecedented stuff we are talking about here.

Last edited:
I don't get building through the draft and then trading a MOFO who just won ROY

Arent those the kind of players you're hoping to hit on in the draft?

That's like us trading Joe Harris for picks......like wtf he was what we were looking for.

That tank job over in Philly is legendary. Tanking so hard they are trading good players they drafted a year ago for a stockpile of picks.....smh

MCW plays a lot like Tyreke Evans, initiating the pick and roll to put up big stats but not really getting everyone else in rhythm. It makes some sense to move him for more assets if he can't impact wins.

Wouldn't it make more sense to try to develop him into a better player than to just move on from him a year into his NBA career? I always thought the issue with Evans (health aside) was that Sacramento never really had a coaching staff that tried to turn him into a better player. He had a revolving door of Mike Browns.

Not too many teams that really need a PG at this point. Maybe Kings or Pistons could take a look. Lakers probably wish.
Heat could use him right now, but im not sure they have picks

Heat could use him right now, but im not sure they have picks

Philly already has Miami's 2015 pick from the Love trade. :chuckle:

To be honest, I kind of think Griffin just threw that pick into the trade to spite Miami. Flip probably didn't even ask for it.

Philly gonna be the team to draft the next Durant then trade him for a 1st next year

Greatest tank job of all time.

Tanking so hard that eventually winning is actually not in their plans

When was the last time we saw such a dedicated tank job? This is some pretty unpresedented stuff we are talking about here.

I would say the last time we saw this successful of a tank job it spanned two years and involved John Lucas, Ricky Davis, Milt Palacio, Darius Miles, and Smush Parker, along with drafting Dsegana Diop and Dajuan Wagner with NBA first round picks.

As for Philly, this is actually a pretty smart move to shop Williams. Calling him ROY was a bit of a misnomer, as his draft class was horrific. Just look at what the Cavs got from it. And they are right in seeing PG as a replaceable position. It is funny, but folks lambasted them for dealing Holiday before they picked him, yet that was clearly the right move- turning him into Noel, Dario Saric, and another 1st rd pick. Two, potentially 3 big men for a PG. So I wouldn't be so quick to laugh at Philly, the rebuild they are trying is crazy long, but if at the end of the day they have an All-Star frontcourt and are just looking for the guards to round it out- and have 1st rounders to burn- they did a damn good job.

PG is the most replaceable position in the NBA. Also, let's not pretend like MCW is a sure-fire all-star. He was the most holistic player in a horrendous draft class. Philly also knows they won't win anything this year, even with MCW, and probably nothing next year. If they could receive a young scoring wing and/or good draft picks it is worth it for them to examine trading MCW. Worst case, they can't trade him and have a scoring combo guard for the future to pair with three all-star potential big men. Best case, they trade him and gain pieces for the future, go 0-82 this year, and continue the tank job.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."