• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

So my pet cat died today.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snarly

Count Duckula.
Reaction score
He developed a Fatal liver disorder and was giving only a week to live so we had to put him down. This is my first pet that I loved as family so I am asking for advice on how to deal with this. I do not know how to feel and I miss him already and every thing I see that reminds me of him want to lose It. So he was diagnosed with feline leukemia that led to the liver failure. Any advice would be great as I just feel a void in my heart right now.

Sorry Snary. Hang in there.

Sad.. Time and maybe another pet will help heal the sadness... I was real sad when we had to put my dog down and I'll be very sad when the cat (whom I started out hating) goes.

Honestly, that sucks man... I'm an avid pet lover and I totally understand how you feel.. I've avoided having pets while travelling just because losing that connection/bond is so very painful. Instead, I now have 3 pets, all of whom seem to have found me as strays.

My recommendation would be one of two things:

1) Mourn him.. Give him a proper burial somewhere nice and just remember that you made his life a happy one and he was surely appreciative of you. Maybe now is not the best time to have a pet, and wait it out for awhile until you feel better.

2) Mourn him.. Again, a proper burial and sendoff; but then go to your nearest animal shelter and adopt a stray. A cat that would otherwise be put down or put into harms way. Do this in a way to not only remember your cat, but to give something in his memory. By adopting another cat, and giving him a meaningful life outside of a cage, you make a sad but very natural occurrence in all of our lives (we all die, bro) have a greater meaning and purpose.

At a minimum, give something to your local ASPCA, anything, for all those pets and animals that didn't have as loving a family as your late pet did.

Getting another pet will help. It helped when I had to put my dog down.

Sorry, I know it sucks. It's not going to be easy, but it will pass with time. Gour gave the best advice, and it's going to come down to what you think is best for you.

One of my close friends lost a young dog unexpectedly, and he was devastated. He went out and got a new dog a week later and that seemed to help him through the grieving process. I had another friend whose cat died three years ago, and he hasn't been able to bring himself to get another pet since. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with.

I agree with Gour that if you choose to get a new pet, to go to a shelter. There are so many good animals waiting to be adopted, and it makes you feel better for saving one from being put down (at least that's how it affects me).

Again, I'm sorry to hear about it. As someone who has a lot of pets, it breaks my heart to think of losing one of them. Hang in there, it'll get better.

As everyone is saying...

Mourn. Take a little bit to get over it. It's going to be a shitty week for you when you were used to him after you get off work/school. It will just take time. I would definitely recommend getting another pet a tiny bit down the line. Will help you and you will fall in love again.

Once you get on that pet train, you aren't getting off until you can't take care of a pet anymore.

Thanks everyone and we are planning on picking up another cat sometime next week. I am doing okay but the problem is just seeing him in my memories new pet or not is hardest part. I have come to terms with the fact I know he is not in pain anymore and he left a honorable and tough cat for that I proud.

Sorry for you loss buddy, actually can relate because I had to put my boxer down on Tuesday due to a brain tumor....he was almost nine...

I have put a deposit on another boxer as of yesterday...he's only a week old and will pick him up at the end of september. It has helped, but it still sucks.

Not a cat guy, but the loss of a pet is always hard. Think of the good memories of him and then try to move on. A new pet will definitely help. I was devastated when my Beagle died, I didn't get to be there with him because I was away at college. Getting the Barndog as a Christmas present really helped.

Sorry for the loss, dude. Pets are just as important in family as spouses and kids. I was always a dog person and anti-cat...but ever since I've been with my fiance' for three years..I slowly became a cat person as well, getting my own cat a year ago..as he's a little over a year old now.

Sorry about the rant about me...but again, sorry for your loss! Treasure the memories you've had with them and never forget them!

this is a rough time for you, no doubt. pets are like our kids. they are definitely a part of our family just like humans. the emotional bonds can and are even deeper than with humans.

i lost my dog a couple years ago. she was a boston terrier. best dog in the world. she was only 12 when she died, and she died right in front of me.. that was so devastating.

i never cried like that over a human.. but my dog, who i grew up with and shared great love with, made me weep like a baby. but i know ill see her again. shes like new right now waiting for me so im happy for her.

Sorry man. I have two year old cats myself. Find a rescue somewhere to forge a new bond with.

I had a cat for fourteen years that died about a year ago. It took me a month to even start to think about moving on, and I'm not really an emotional person either. My advice would be to make some sort of item to remember the memory of the cat and get a new cat and begin the healing process.

I had a cat for fourteen years that died about a year ago. It took me a month to even start to think about moving on, and I'm not really an emotional person either. My advice would be to make some sort of item to remember the memory of the cat and get a new cat and begin the healing process.
what?? my pup died in 2011 and i still have a hard time thinking about a new dog lol. i laugh but its really not funny

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."