• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

So you hit rock bottom in life ...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Or at least what you think, realistically, is rock bottom.

What do you do? At what point do you just go, "Fuck it," and give up? Anybody been there? It can always be worse. Somehow, that never makes you feel better when you're in the absolute pit of hell, though. Wonder why.

Chris, unless you're living on the streets with a heroin addiction, and sucking the farts out of hooker's asses for your fix, you haven't hit rock bottom.

I've had multiple points in my life where I've wanted to say I give up. Where I wanted to die. Where I had the barrel of a .38 in my mouth.

Literally the only thing that has stopped me from pulling the trigger was the thought of WHAT I COULD miss out on.

If I had pulled the trigger in high school, I'd have died a virgin.
If I had pulled the trigger in Iraq, I'd have never gotten to see the Cavs in the Finals, regardless of the outcome.
If I had pulled the trigger a couple years ago, I'd have never met my fiancee, and I wouldn't be waiting on my first child to be born.

Now I'm not saying that when I was at my lowest, I thought about wanting to see any of those things happen. Just that I could miss out on something amazing. Regardless of what that amazing is.

After looking back, I can see exactly what I would've missed.

Shit Chris, I've got my daughter due in 6 weeks, I still work part time at Walmart, I've got retarded credit card debt from when I still made good money, I've got no car. I can't find a place to move to because the oil/gas industry in the area and the landlords pricing every rental at beyond ridiculous rates to try to cash in. I'll be honest, there are still days I feel like giving up.

I went YEARS without ever talking to a therapist, but over the past year and a half or so, *whenever my permaban for RCF started* I've tried talking to one. I go, some sessions I don't say a word. Others, I feel like an open book. But it's done me beyond a world of good, but I'm going to be needing to go a bit more often until some of the crisis in my life have subsided.

Basically Chris, don't give up. You'll miss out on too much bud.

God dammit X. That was some good stuff.

there was a good two years where I lost everything. Identity, girl, girls, career, all self esteem, confidence etc.

All you can do is put one foot in front of the other and get your ass out of it. I started lifting and kept at it everday. Now im sexy as fuck. I went back to school so I could make money again. I changed my major a couple more times, but at the end of the day I think I made the right decision. I learned to romanticize my shortcomings, because youll hate yourself if you dont. Change what you can, if you want, but also learn to love all of you.

After being cheated on by a slew of girls, I got back out there and said 'fuck everything thats happened' and did my thing. I started working for the first time in a couple years like a few months ago, now I have 3 jobs and am looking for promotions.

Get involved with as much shit as you possibly can. You meet people to network with, whether it be for social gain or for your career, and you keep busy.

I was also homeless before, but I honestly thought I had less when I was on unemployment sitting inside of an apartment with a few roommates, miserable. Homeless aint bad because youre forced to do something, NOW. Get angry, get focused, and persevere

God dammit X. That was some good stuff.

Yeah, well his post hit a little close to home. And honestly, despite what differences cumstuff and I had over the years, I read it and it worried me, because I've been there. I know how manic and awful I was when I was feeling like that.

God damn, what a twist. X giving good mental health advice instead of asking for it.

When I graduated college, I was kind of depressed about not finding a job. I was working a part time retail gig, but it was pretty much only enough to pay my student loans and insurance. It took me over a year, but I found one. I've only been there a year and half. I've gotten 3 raises (last one was 8.5%) and bonuses with additional incentives every month with great benefits (health insurance is cheap and good).

It will get better, no matter what you are trying to do.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate, Chris?

Turning 24 next month, shit job that hardly pays the bills and makes me want to kill myself on a daily basis, no relationship, no friends anymore, hundreds of miles away from hometown/family so not much support network, no money, massive debt, got in a car accident that was my fault, started to get back on track and then got punched in the face with even more debt which annihilated my getting back on track-ness. Stress is through the roof.

Figured I'd simplify it down to that, as I don't really want to spill all the details of my personal life.

In a nutshell. Could be worse but I'm not gonna lie I'm pretty close to just saying fuck it. I've been out of college for two years now and life is just an absolute burden, an absolute dredge. I'd rather be dead, honestly. I mean, is it like this for everyone when they get in the real world? Not sure how people deal with it.

Turning 24 next month, shit job that hardly pays the bills and makes me want to kill myself on a daily basis, no relationship, no friends anymore, hundreds of miles away from hometown/family so not much support network, no money, massive debt, got in a car accident that was my fault, started to get back on track and then got punched in the face with even more debt which annihilated my getting back on track-ness. Stress is through the roof.

Figured I'd simplify it down to that, as I don't really want to spill all the details of my personal life.

In a nutshell. Could be worse but I'm not gonna lie I'm pretty close to just saying fuck it. I've been out of college for two years now and life is just an absolute burden, an absolute dredge. I'd rather be dead, honestly. I mean, is it like this for everyone when they get in the real world? Not sure how people deal with it.

Key phrase, you are 24. You are just starting life and can really do anything man. You have your whole life ahead of you to do things and get it turned around. And you will. It may not feel like it in the moment, but maybe this is just a defining moment for you in what you decide to do with life. You can make it turn out for the better if you have the positive attitude to and truly believe it. It is all a mind game. Pursue your dreams. Move somewhere and get a different job if you have to (or especially if you want to). Just do whatever makes you happy. You don't have to listen to the status quo and do what you think people want you to do or what society makes you think you should do. Move back close to your family and to where people you know if you really want, whatever makes you feel comfortable. Just do what you want and the things that you enjoy, that is really what life is all about to me. We all as humans have times where we are tested in our own ways, and face our own battles, and its safe to say most of us have been in a bad place. At least I know I have. Nothing is worth giving up your life for. Even if you feel like it is you against the world, take the world then.

I hope that some of my words were encouraging and helped you. I'm not one to judge and come in here and give you a hard time because people say you don't have it that bad. Trust me, I get it man. Life isn't always easy, but it is probably just a rough patch for you and it will pass. If there is anything you take from this, just do what you enjoy and what you love. And be with people you love and places you love. Forget everything else.

Without going into personal detail about this-- Have you talked to anyone else about the way you're feeling?

Everyone has struggles, and you'll never know what the next man/woman is going through because everyone deals with issues in their own way.

Just a quick assumption by your not so detailed post: You seem extremely homesick. Maybe you're not so social/introverted.
24 is so young and you have so much time to repair what you feel is broken within you. Everyone is broken at some point. You have your RCF brethren to offer advice and give you insight on their own struggles. You shouldn't feel completely alone.

chris, ive been there. youll get out of it. i was exactly where youre at. takes time and trying to position yourself in the right direction. ONe day, it will catch. even if its on something arbitrary. And itll build. before you know it, youve got a ball of momentum rolling around.

Start networking and getting involved in shit, itll make you feel better and meet people. Figure out your career and where you want to be. Even if its not a definite answer immediately, put yourself in a position to where you can find out what you want to do and at least make some sort of general progress towards a general career (school, gen ed)

Or at least what you think, realistically, is rock bottom.

What do you do? At what point do you just go, "Fuck it," and give up? Anybody been there? It can always be worse. Somehow, that never makes you feel better when you're in the absolute pit of hell, though. Wonder why.

I'm in that fuck it mode right now man. I have my good days and bad. But there is only so much a man can take before it's just too much. But sometimes I still get that little spark that things can get better. I hold out hope that they will, but it's not up to me. My body is giving out and I have no control over it. All I do is try to enjoy the little things, like family and friends and live for just that moment and laugh. I do say to myself a lot that well it could be worse, I could be paralyzed from the neck down and not just the waste and I'm lucky in that sense. But now I got all these new health problems and they are so much harder to deal with than my disability. I can safely say I can't take much more, and nor can my body. But I love life in general and I'm not ready to go and that keeps me around.

Depression ain't no joke, and life ain't easy, that's for sure..

Most people nowadays deal with it, always consider the "easy way" out choice, but really you should consider all the factors on how to better yourself and your current situation.

I always found that listening to music, having a few beers, or just finding ways to laugh brought me out of any type of depression I've dealt with.

Just to put a smile on your face:
[video=youtube;GXr_RbRYKlM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXr_RbRYKlM[/video]

At least you're not Andrew.. :chuckles:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."