1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

SOPA and Protect IP

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by stycool24, Dec 21, 2011.

1. stycool24

stycool24 Stycool

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JhwuXNv8fJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This bill scares the shit out of me. It will allow companies to censor websites/remove them. They can potentially block many many websites that we regularly use.

The house votes on this bill today! I never thought United States of America would start censoring shit like this!!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Juice Is Loose

Juice Is Loose Stylin' and Profilin'

So if this passes and Reddit is now blocked, does Chardon still post since he lost the site where he gets everything from?

• Like Like x 8
  3. stycool24

stycool24 Stycool

They can potentially take down RCF as well, since it has copyrighted things posted. This bill is plain stupid.

4. The Voice

The Voice Best in the World

The originator digg.com is still available.

5. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Back in 2002

More tyranny from our despicable government. The countries we try to force democracy on are more free than we are.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Marcus

Marcus Let's go Cabs!

This country makes me fucking sick anymore. I'm glad the government has time to debate about the merits of censoring the fucking INTERNET of all things when the economy is in the shitter, people are out of homes and jobs, and there's still a fucking war going on in Afghanistan. At least they've got their priorities straight. :rolleyes:

Next thing to go is freedom of speech. Watch out when you speak out against any of the injustices in the world -- it will be blocked by corporate censorship. Our founding fathers would be sick to their stomachs if they could see what this country is becoming.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Pyro

Pyro Banned

The good news is, they have indeed suspended until the beginning of the New Year, despite what the video says.

8. stycool24

stycool24 Stycool

Seriously, if they really want to stop piracy, why don't corporations try to provide better service than the pirates? Illegal music downloads have gone down because of Itunes, spotify and other services which are easy to use and are inexpensive. This will only make things worse. There will always be loopholes, people will try to find ways to defy the law, which has many serious security risks and the amount of money the govt. has to spend to maintain this will be huge. It is just not worth it. The only people the lawmakers are listening to are the lobbyists, they are ignoring the experts and the people. Most of these congressmen admit that they don't know much about the internet.

How do you make laws about something, if you don't know much about the topic? That is plain stupid.

9. germancav

germancav Situational Stopper

In many ways that is actually true...

10. Man Called X

Man Called X Not a **** was given

You know, there's a reason I have a rider attached to my renters insurance covering me for lawsuits against Libel, Defamation, and Slandering. And it's why I say the shit I do about companies so freely. This fucking ridiculous bullshit has to stop in this country. So many rights taken away on a daily basis but people are too fucking worried about Jersey Shore and American Idol to pay attention or care.

• Like Like x 2
  11. slp447

slp447 Situational Stopper

Wikipedia has blacked themselves out today in protest of SOPA and PIPA. From their website:

Link (if you don't know how to get to Wikipedia...): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

• Like Like x 1
  12. Soda

Soda Bania'd

Can somebody give me a synopsis? I've gotten the jist of it by reading through comments, but I'd like to know exactly how this will affect my day-to-day routine. I'm all for getting websites that teach civilians how to make bombs blocked.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigjmac0815

bigjmac0815 Banned

next week the government will vote on sofa and pipa and if it passes Facebook and twitter and all social media sites would be shut down

• Like Like x 1
  14. Huber.

Huber. Adrninistrator

• Like Like x 1
  15. gourimoko

gourimoko Fighting the good fight!

By that logic you would in theory support this bill, because you do not believe in the protections of the First Amendment. I, in contrast, firmly believe in the freedom of information. If I or someone else needs/wants to learn how to make a bomb, they should have the ability to obtain said information freely. And quite honestly I have had interest in these kinds of things since I was a child and everything was disseminated over BBS's and Fidonet in the form of ASCII text files. (as have many people who've read the very well circulated old-school Anarchist Cookbook).

The same could be said for information regarding sawing off the barrel of a shotgun, making drugs, picking locks, hacking, or learning how to bump-fire a semi-automatic assault rifle. The government's overreach could censor all of these topics, just as easily as "bomb making."

Anyway, to users concerned, a good application to download (if this passes) is TOR, and learn to use services like OpenDNS.

If this law is indeed implemented, I may consider relocating outside the United States.. :(

• Like Like x 4
  16. MoneyMP3

MoneyMP3 Long Live The Idols

Screw SOPA. I want my interwebs free of censorship.

17. Soda

Soda Bania'd

I'm not for crippling the versatility of the people's internet. At all. I believe that the platform we're all using now is the one we're used to and adjusting that would hinder the great potential the internet has. I think the government is afraid of that very potential and this is their attempt to put a collar on it before they can't catch it at all. I'm also for freedom of information, but I'd be lying if I told you that I'm not for monitoring websites that teach you how to inflict harm on others, be it by making drugs or weapons. You're far too left if you think people should be able to craft weapons and drugs and tell others how to without being flagged in some way.

18. SOA

SOA Banned

Like a lot of what washington does , the intent is there but how it will be applied is what scares everyone

as someone who works in IT in the entertainment industry , I understand its intent

Piracy that infringes on IP is rampant outside the US and costs the industry a great deal

the policing is already there the MPAA hires security firms to monitor pirate web sites. the issue is they have no real means to stop this other than to reach out and ask them to stop

how to really police this infringement is where the debate begins

19. RonG

RonG All for one

Left or or right treading on free speech at all is a slippery slope, once you start how do you stop?

• Like Like x 1
  20. bigjmac0815

bigjmac0815 Banned

hopefully they won't block RCF