• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Spurs Hire First Ever Female Coach in NBA

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sir John

Expert Swordsman
Reaction score
Surprised no mention of this yet, so I'll do it:

Popovich just hired Becky Hammon to be a full-time assistant coach for the Spurs. Will be on the bench, in practice, and traveling with the team. The full enchilada.

For those who don't know her, she was a 16-year WNBA player and 6-time All-Star. Just retired from WNBA because of knee issues, had been mentoring with the Spurs in her off-season.

Good hire, really look forward to watching her. Duncan, Parker, Nowitzki, and Kobe have already voiced their strong support.

Next up? Maybe Natalie Nakase, who just spent 10-days working for the Clippers as an assistant coach in Vegas. She's been working hard for it, too.

After all, as Daryl Morey once said, "I find it hard to believe that all of the best and smartest thinkers in basketball just happen to share the same chromosome."

Lisa Boyer was the first female assistant coach actually for the Cavs. (2000-2001)

But, pretty cool though. Maybe she replaces Coach Pop in a few years? :chuckles:

Thanks for posting this.

I wasn't aware of this lady until I read the news story but if Pop hires her and those four eventual HoFers are publicly supportive then good for her.

I saw some time ago that Kyle Korver's coach was his mother and he's pretty damn good.

It a different world now. Growing up in the 70's girls (with rare exceptions) were pretty hopeless at sports. Now there are many more exceptional female athletes.

Personal aside -- swam a mile at boy scout camp in the early 70's in about 40 minutes -- second one out of the pool.

When my daughter was 13 & on a year-round swim team I counted laps for her -- took her just over 22 minutes and she wasn't near first place.

So I take female athletes / coaches very seriously.

Perhaps the Cavs should hire one of these gals to teach Dion how to take his tampon out.

Holy shit!

The Cavaliers fielded a team in 2000-2001? :gap:

Lisa Boyer was the first female assistant coach actually for the Cavs. (2000-2001)

But, pretty cool though. Maybe she replaces Coach Pop in a few years? :chuckles:

Boyer was a kind of technicality, closer to an intern. She wasn't full-time or even paid. This one is for real, will actually be acting like a full-fledged assistant and what we actually visualize when we hear, "coach."

PS: Coincidentally, I hear that Tampax just signed Dion to a sponsorship deal. At the signing ceremony, the Tampax spokeswoman said, "Sponsoring this pussy going through a bad period is exactly what our company is all about!"

Tony Parker is going to tap that and cause a huge circus. Guarantee it.

You guys are really letting me down here... Where's the misogyny??

What is she gonna coach the guys to make better sandwiches or something?

She's cute and of a normal height at 5'6. Bet she's got a huge bush though.

Tim Duncan is going to blow up and call her a cunt. Then we will have a lawsuit on our hands.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."