• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Stark's Top Ten PG for the 2014-15 Season

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
These are my projected top-ten NBA Point Guards for the upcoming 2014-15 season. Statistics listed are from last season. My explanations are a bit more brief and to the point this time as opposed to the multiple paragraph explanations that I compiled two seasons ago.

Ages are the players age at the start of the regular season.

#1 - Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
i

2013-14 statistics: 19.1 PPG, 10.7 APG, 4.3 RPG, 2.5 SPG, 25.98 PER (age 29)

CP3 has yet again asserted himself as the top overall point guard in the NBA by a fairly decent margin. Few players can match his assist and steal totals, especially along with shooting 47% from the field and 85% from the line. Paul has still yet to show marginal playoff success, but he'll be given the opportunity yet again with a stacked Clippers team.

#2 - Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
i

2013-14 statistics: 24.0 PPG, 8.5 APG, 4.3 RPG, 1.6 SPG, 24.13 PER (age 26)

Stephen Curry is a top three pure scorer in the NBA, yet still finds a way to dish out eight and a half assists per night along with being active in the passing lanes and a solid defender and rebounder for his position. He also managed to stay healthy for the first time in a while (78 games played) and performed well in Golden State's playoff run.

#3 - Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
i

2013-14 statistics: 16.7 PPG, 5.7 APG, 2.3 RPG, 0.5 SPG, 19.00 PER (age 32)

From a straight statistical standpoint, many would laugh at putting Tony Parker in the top six or seven, let alone number three overall. Parker's value does not come from just statistics (although he is still well above average in production), but the leadership and culture that he brings to the San Antonio squad where he has now been an anchor for four championships.

#4 - Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
i

2013-14 statistics: 21.8 PPG, 6.9 APG, 5.7 RPG, 1.9 SPG, 24.74 PER (age 25)

Russell Westbrook only played 48 games at 30.7 minutes per night in the 2013-14 season, and as a result his numbers were a bit down across the board. Even in his limited time, he was an elite, although inefficient, scorer for his position. He is also an elite rebounder at his position, bringing in close to six boards per night. A healthy Russell Westbrook will be essential if the Thunder look to make a title run.

#5 - Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers
i

2013-14 statistics: 20.8 PPG, 6.1 APG, 3.6 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 20.14 PER (age 22)

Kyrie Irving managed to stay relatively healthy for the first time in his career in the 13-14 season, as he suited up 71 times for the Wine and Gold. His numbers were slightly down across the board from his Sophomore season, but nothing of major concern. When Irving is on and healthy, he is one of the deadliest shooting and scoring threats in the NBA. There are still concerns about his health and defense however. Irving will have to shoulder a lot less of the load this upcoming season with the return of LeBron James, acquisition of Kevin Love, and the emergence of Dion Waiters.

#6 - John Wall, Washington Wizards
i

2013-14 statistics: 19.3 PPG, 8.8 APG, 4.1 RPG, 1.8 SPG, 19.61 PER (age 24)

John Wall had a breakout season in 2013-14 as he was able to play all 82 games and make his first appearance in the postseason where he more or less underwhelmed as he struggled to 36% shooting. In the regular season however, Wall set career highs in PPG, APG, and SPG. The veteran addition of Paul Pierce along with backcourt mate Bradley Beal gives John Wall two lethal scoring threats to work with. Look for him to continue to grow in his fifth NBA season.

#7 - Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers
i

2013-14 statistics: 20.7 PPG, 5.6 APG, 3.5 RPG, 0.8 SPG, 18.69 PER (age 24)

Seventh overall may be a bit high for Lillard who is coming off a lights out postseason showing for Portland which saw him hit arguably the biggest shot all season (). He definitely can score and has proven to be very clutch for the Blazers, but the rest of his game needs a bit more fine tuning. His defense is rather suspect and you'd imagine a guy who has LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum, and Wesley Matthews in such a high octane offense could average more than 5.6 assists per night.

#8 - Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
i

2013-14 statistics: 11.7 PPG, 9.8 APG, 5.5 RPG, 1.3 SPG, 15.34 PER (age 28)

I may be lowballing Rondo a bit here, but coming off of ACL surgery last season where he shot a line of 40/29/63 and the fact that he has missed at least 14 games in his past four seasons is starting to concern me a bit. When healthy, he is elite, even with a team that lacks a true dynamic scorer. It is a contract year however for Rondo, and if he does not get traded he'll want to perform at his highest possible level to grab one more big contract.

#9 - Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
i

2013-14 statistics: 15.9 PPG, 4.3 APG, 3.2 RPG, 0.5 SPG, 9.82 PER (age 26)

Call me a hater or whatever you want, but I was dangerously close to leaving Rose off of this list altogether. He has not proven a thing since coming off ACL surgery outside of a halfway decent performance in the World Basketball Championships against mostly D-League competition. This is a big season for Derrick Rose to prove that his status as a league superstar has not been ruined by injury.

#10 - Jrue Holiday, New Orleans Pelicans
i

2013-14 statistics: 14.3 PPG, 7.9 APG, 4.2 RPG, 1.6 SPG, 17.19 PER (age 24)

Sadly, Jrue Holiday's 13-14 season was ruined by injury as he was only able to play 34 games due to a tibial stress fracture in his right knee. When he was playing though, he proved why he was a main centerpiece in the Nerlens Noel trade. He is very underrated when talking about league point guards and is still only 24 years old. A full season with the likes of Eric Gordon and Anthony Davis could lead to a true breakout season for Holiday.

Honorable Mentions: Goran Dragic, Phoenix Suns; Kemba Walker, Charlotte Hornets; Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors; Mike Conley, Memphis Grizzlies; Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets

Last edited:
How was Rose's performance in the World Cup halfway decent? He was fucking terrible.

I was being friendly because I assumed I was going to get ripped for dropping him to #9.

I hate to say it, but Lillard edges out Kyrie and DEFINITELY Wall. A very good chance that changes this season. In fact, I'd bet my house on it. But based on last season, it was Lillard.

I hate to say it, but Lillard edges out Kyrie and DEFINITELY Wall. A very good chance that changes this season. In fact, I'd bet my house on it. But based on last season, it was Lillard.
I would agree with Lillard above Wall, but it appears Kyrie has really come into his own. I wouldn't trade Kyrie straight up for Lillard. No way, no how.

The list is for the top 10 point guards of the 2014-2015 season so I assume Stark wasn't basing it off of last year.

I agree on the top 4, but completely disagree from there on. Would go Dragic-Conley-Irving-Wall-Lowry-Lawson.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."