• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Stark's Top Ten SG for the 2014-15 Season

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
These are my projected top-ten NBA Shooting Guards for the upcoming 2014-15 season. Statistics listed are from last season. My explanations are a bit more brief and to the point this time as opposed to the multiple paragraph explanations that I compiled two seasons ago.

Ages are the players age at the start of the regular season.

1. James Harden, Houston Rockets
i

2013-14 statistics: 25.4 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 6.1 APG, 1.6 SPG, 23.51 PER (age 25)

James Harden was fantastic in his second season with the Houston Rockets. He was one of the top overall scorers in the NBA and still remained flexible on the offensive end by dishing out over six assists per night. His defense is rather suspect, but he was able to accumulate over a steal and a half per night. With both Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons out of town, Harden likely will shoulder even more of the scoring load and could be a candidate to score close to thirty per night.

2. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
i

2013-14 statistics: 19.0 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 4.7 APG, 1.5 SPG, 22.06 PER (age 32)

Love him or hate him, when he's healthy, D-Wade is an absolute force. Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you want to see it), Wade was only able to suit up in 54 regular season games for the Heat last season, some due to injury, and some due to rest for the postseason. When he played however, Wade was still as efficient as ever. He failed to score 20 PPG for the first time since his rookie season, but with LeBron James rejoining the Cavaliers, Wade is going to have to up his scoring (and play more than 54 games) if the Heat want to stay competitive.

3. Eric Bledsoe, Phoenix Suns
i

2013-14 statistics: 17.7 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 5.5 APG, 1.6 SPG, 19.62 PER (age 24)

Blesode missed 39 games last season to a right knee injury, but has insisted in Phoenix training camp that he is at full strength and ready to go -- which he should be following the signing of a new max contract with the Suns. Like Wade above, Bledsoe is an extremely lethal player when he is actually on the floor. He'll be a part of one of the most exciting backcourt trios in the game along with Goran Dragic and Isaiah Thomas.

4. Lance Stephenson, Charlotte Hornets
i

2013-14 statistics: 13.8 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 4.6 APG, 0.7 SPG, 14.72 PER (age 24)

Lance Stephenson is taking his controversial talents to the up and coming Charlotte Hornets for this upcoming season. He'll be a much bigger part of the offense in Charlotte than he ever was in Indiana due to Paul George and David West scoring a majority of their points. He is an insane rebounder for his position (7.2 RPG), and is a prime candidate for a breakout season due to the role he'll play in Charlotte's run n' gun offense.

5. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
i

2013-14 statistics: 13.8 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 6.3 APG, 1.2 SPG, 10.74 PER (age 36)

If I have learned anything from following the NBA over the course of my lifetime, it's to not bet against the Black Mamba. Bryant is coming off a season where he only suited up six times for the Lakers due to complications from both an Achillies and knee injury. He has been playing in the preseason and appears to be close to 100% for the upcoming season. With the Lakers not a prime candidate to contend out West this year, Kobe will likely see his minutes reduced greatly this season in order to preserve his career. When he is on the floor however, he'll be LA's go to scoring option simply because they do not have much talent around him.

6. Jamal Crawford, Los Angeles Clippers
i

2013-14 statistics: 18.6 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 3.2 APG, 0.9 SPG, 17.39 PER (age 34)

On the other side of Lalaland is Jamal Crawford, fresh off of winning his second Sixth Man of the Year award. Crawford is counted on by to Clippers squad to come off the bench and score in bunches, which he has been doing fabulously for them for two seasons now. He'll turn 35 in March, and can be seen as a bit of a regression candidate, but as of now, it doesn't look like Jamal will be slowing down anytime soon as he chases his first ring.

7. Monta Ellis, Dallas Mavericks
i

2013-14 statistics: 19.0 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 5.7 APG, 1.7 SPG, 16.83 PER (age 29)

Monta Ellis is one of the more underrated guards in the league. He is a great scorer for the position and is also very adept in jumping in the passing lanes to rack up high steal counts. He's not the best defender in the world, but he has been a very good guard in the league for many years now.

8. Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors
i

2013-14 statistics: 18.4 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 2.2 APG, 0.9 SPG, 14.32 PER (age 24)

Klay Thompson is the Luigi of the Splash Brothers out in Golden State. He has steadily become a better scorer with each passing season, although that's about all he does bring to the table. He's not an exceptional rebounder, facilitator, or defender by any means, but he's also not a liability in any of those areas either. His scoring has gone up every season in the league, and there's no reason that trend won't continue this season.

9. Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs
i

2013-14 statistics: 12.3 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 4.3 APG, 1.0 SPG, 20.06 PER (age 37)

Similar to Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili brings more to his club than just normal production. He has been a part of Spurs culture for twelve years now, and kept up his sensational play last season as a sixth man (22.8 MPG). He's 37 now and fresh off of winning his fourth ring, so we'll see if the decline finally begins to set in for Manu Ginobili in what will be his thirteenth NBA season.

10. Dion Waiters, Cleveland Cavaliers
i

2013-14 statistics: 15.9 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 3.0 APG, 0.9 SPG, 14.10 PER (age 22)

It was fittingly between Bradley Beal and Dion Waiters for this final spot, and in the end, I had to side with Waiters. Within a few more seasons, it's not unrealistic to think that both of them could crack the top five as the backcourt rivalry between Cleveland and Washington grows. Waiters is thought by many to be in a bad personal position in Cleveland since he'll be the fourth option, but you also have to remember that Kyrie Irving is usually a lock to miss at least a stretch of games and that Waiters can now spot up in the corner and run backup point when Kyrie needs a breather. With LeBron James and other veterans now in town, I expect Waiters to make great strides in his game in his third season.

Honorable Mentions: Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards; Kevin Martin, Minnesota Timberwolves; Eric Gordon, New Orleans Pelicans; Arron Afflalo, Denver Nuggets

Is it just me or has the SG position really deteriorated over the last ten or so years? i don't know, it just feels like there were way more elite SG's back then...

Is it just me or has the SG position really deteriorated over the last ten or so years? i don't know, it just feels like there were way more elite SG's back then...

Yeah, we talked about this when I posted the SG list two years ago. We thought more guys were going to step up, and some have, but except for Harden, nobody really has in an elite way.

You gave Tony the championship bump into the top 3, so I think Manu deserves to crack the top 5 at least. He led all SGs and all Spurs in real plus/minus, and had excellent efficiency numbers as usual last year.

Other than that...I might bump Klay up a spot or two, I guess. His length makes him really versatile on both ends. I would also say that given their postseason success, guys like Vince Carter, Tony Allen, and Wesley Matthews may deserve honorable mentions over guys like K-Mart, Gordon, and Afflalo.

Overall though I think it's a really good ranking and I agree with almost all of your analysis. I would put the thumbs up smiley here, but I can't find it because there are too many smilies :chuckle:

I really wanted to say that Wade being #2 was too high, but looking at that list...Jesus, what an awful position right now. We're entering the mid 00's center position here, with the stars aging and the rest of them being mostly fodder. Seeing this list really gives me high hopes for Waiters one day.

I don't know if he'll play it, but I'd expect one of the Wolves SG's to shoot up the list next year. Not sure if it'll be Wiggins at SG, or Lavine.

I keep scrolling down the list and didn't see Thompson so u figured they must have him as a SF. Than a saw his ranking hahaha

These are my projected top-ten NBA Shooting Guards for the upcoming 2014-15 season. Statistics listed are from last season. My explanations are a bit more brief and to the point this time as opposed to the multiple paragraph explanations that I compiled two seasons ago.

Ages are the players age at the start of the regular season.

1. James Harden, Houston Rockets
i

2013-14 statistics: 25.4 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 6.1 APG, 1.6 SPG, 23.51 PER (age 25)

James Harden was fantastic in his second season with the Houston Rockets. He was one of the top overall scorers in the NBA and still remained flexible on the offensive end by dishing out over six assists per night. His defense is rather suspect, but he was able to accumulate over a steal and a half per night. With both Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons out of town, Harden likely will shoulder even more of the scoring load and could be a candidate to score close to thirty per night.

2. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
i

2013-14 statistics: 19.0 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 4.7 APG, 1.5 SPG, 22.06 PER (age 32)

Love him or hate him, when he's healthy, D-Wade is an absolute force. Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you want to see it), Wade was only able to suit up in 54 regular season games for the Heat last season, some due to injury, and some due to rest for the postseason. When he played however, Wade was still as efficient as ever. He failed to score 20 PPG for the first time since his rookie season, but with LeBron James rejoining the Cavaliers, Wade is going to have to up his scoring (and play more than 54 games) if the Heat want to stay competitive.

3. Eric Bledsoe, Phoenix Suns
i

2013-14 statistics: 17.7 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 5.5 APG, 1.6 SPG, 19.62 PER (age 24)

Blesode missed 39 games last season to a right knee injury, but has insisted in Phoenix training camp that he is at full strength and ready to go -- which he should be following the signing of a new max contract with the Suns. Like Wade above, Bledsoe is an extremely lethal player when he is actually on the floor. He'll be a part of one of the most exciting backcourt trios in the game along with Goran Dragic and Isaiah Thomas.

4. Lance Stephenson, Charlotte Hornets
i

2013-14 statistics: 13.8 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 4.6 APG, 0.7 SPG, 14.72 PER (age 24)

Lance Stephenson is taking his controversial talents to the up and coming Charlotte Hornets for this upcoming season. He'll be a much bigger part of the offense in Charlotte than he ever was in Indiana due to Paul George and David West scoring a majority of their points. He is an insane rebounder for his position (7.2 RPG), and is a prime candidate for a breakout season due to the role he'll play in Charlotte's run n' gun offense.

5. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
i

2013-14 statistics: 13.8 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 6.3 APG, 1.2 SPG, 10.74 PER (age 36)

If I have learned anything from following the NBA over the course of my lifetime, it's to not bet against the Black Mamba. Bryant is coming off a season where he only suited up six times for the Lakers due to complications from both an Achillies and knee injury. He has been playing in the preseason and appears to be close to 100% for the upcoming season. With the Lakers not a prime candidate to contend out West this year, Kobe will likely see his minutes reduced greatly this season in order to preserve his career. When he is on the floor however, he'll be LA's go to scoring option simply because they do not have much talent around him.

6. Jamal Crawford, Los Angeles Clippers
i

2013-14 statistics: 18.6 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 3.2 APG, 0.9 SPG, 17.39 PER (age 34)

On the other side of Lalaland is Jamal Crawford, fresh off of winning his second Sixth Man of the Year award. Crawford is counted on by to Clippers squad to come off the bench and score in bunches, which he has been doing fabulously for them for two seasons now. He'll turn 35 in March, and can be seen as a bit of a regression candidate, but as of now, it doesn't look like Jamal will be slowing down anytime soon as he chases his first ring.

7. Monta Ellis, Dallas Mavericks
i

2013-14 statistics: 19.0 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 5.7 APG, 1.7 SPG, 16.83 PER (age 29)

Monta Ellis is one of the more underrated guards in the league. He is a great scorer for the position and is also very adept in jumping in the passing lanes to rack up high steal counts. He's not the best defender in the world, but he has been a very good guard in the league for many years now.

8. Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors
i

2013-14 statistics: 18.4 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 2.2 APG, 0.9 SPG, 14.32 PER (age 24)

Klay Thompson is the Luigi of the Splash Brothers out in Golden State. He has steadily become a better scorer with each passing season, although that's about all he does bring to the table. He's not an exceptional rebounder, facilitator, or defender by any means, but he's also not a liability in any of those areas either. His scoring has gone up every season in the league, and there's no reason that trend won't continue this season.

9. Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs
i

2013-14 statistics: 12.3 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 4.3 APG, 1.0 SPG, 20.06 PER (age 37)

Similar to Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili brings more to his club than just normal production. He has been a part of Spurs culture for twelve years now, and kept up his sensational play last season as a sixth man (22.8 MPG). He's 37 now and fresh off of winning his fourth ring, so we'll see if the decline finally begins to set in for Manu Ginobili in what will be his thirteenth NBA season.

10. Dion Waiters, Cleveland Cavaliers
i

2013-14 statistics: 15.9 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 3.0 APG, 0.9 SPG, 14.10 PER (age 22)

It was fittingly between Bradley Beal and Dion Waiters for this final spot, and in the end, I had to side with Waiters. Within a few more seasons, it's not unrealistic to think that both of them could crack the top five as the backcourt rivalry between Cleveland and Washington grows. Waiters is thought by many to be in a bad personal position in Cleveland since he'll be the fourth option, but you also have to remember that Kyrie Irving is usually a lock to miss at least a stretch of games and that Waiters can now spot up in the corner and run backup point when Kyrie needs a breather. With LeBron James and other veterans now in town, I expect Waiters to make great strides in his game in his third season.

Honorable Mentions: Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards; Kevin Martin, Minnesota Timberwolves; Eric Gordon, New Orleans Pelicans; Arron Afflalo, Denver Nuggets

Jamal Crawford is almost as bad of a sieve on defense as harden without the defense wouldn't be in my top 10 but position wise a lot of guys could be argued for both

Also please tell me you considered DeRozan a small forward.

My list would be

Harden
Wade
DeRozan
Bryant
Stephenson
Thompson
Waiters
Beal
Afflalo
Hayward

[QUOTE="Captain S, post: 1985985, member: 11641]
Also please tell me you considered DeRozan a small forward.[/QUOTE]

DeRozan and Joe Johnson will be classified as SFs this season.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Danny Green may be a top-10 SG, or close to it. He may be the best defensive SG in the league this season if Tony Allen finally slows down, and while his offensive skillset is limited, he's damn good at what he does on that end.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."