• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The #1 and #4 Picks Taken Together Have Rarely Disappointed

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseline Runner

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The draft is usually a bit of a crap shoot for every team in it, but in our case, this may not be true, even in a supposedly weak draft (which I don't really buy, depth wise maybe but not at the top). If you look at the history of the number one and the number four picks in the last twenty years, there has rarely ever been a bust in both of those picks, and often times there was a franchise player or two quality stars.

2010 -#1 John Wall, #4 Wesley Johnson
2009 - #1 Blake Griffin, #4 Tyreke Evans
2008 - #1 Derrick Rose, #4 Russel Westbrook
2007 - #1 Greg Oden, #4 Mike Conley
2006 - #1 Andre Bargnani, #4 Tyrus Thomas
2005 - #1 Andrew Bogut, #4 Chris Paul
2004 - #1 Dwight Howard, #4 Shaun Livingston
2003 - #1 Lebron James, #4 Chris Bosh
2002 - #1 Yao Ming, #4 Drew Gooden
2001 - #1 Kwame Brown, #4 Eddy Curry
2000 - #1 Kenyon Martin, #4 Marcus Fizer
1999 - #1 Elton Brand, #4 Lamar Odom
1998 - #1 Michael Olowakandi, #4 Antawn Jamison
1997 - #1 Tim Duncan, #4 Antonio Daniels
1996 - #1 Allen Iverson, #4 Stephon Marbury
1995- #1 Joe Smith, #4 Rasheed Wallace
1994 - #1 Glenn Robinson, #4 Donyel Marshall
1993 - #1 Chris Webber, #4 Jamaal Mashburn
1992 - #1 Shaquille Oneal, #4 Jimmy Jackson
1991 - #1 Larry Johnson, #4 Dikembe Mutombo
1990 - #1 Derrick Coleman, #4 Dennis Scott

Even the worst ones, 2007, 2006, 2000, 1998, 1994 still got a decent player. The only one that was a total stinker 2001. Many of these years you would have either gotten a franchise player like Shaq, Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, Chris Paul, Dwight, or you would have gotten two very good players like LJ and Dikembe, Coleman and Scott, Brand and Odom, Joe Smith and Rasheed Wallace, Derrick Rose and Westbrook. Just taking these two picks in many of these years you have the building blocks to construct a team. We are in a very enviable position.

These threads are pointless. How in any way does this affect the guys that we will be drafting?

Well It shows the potential Picks we have with a history lesson. While not defending the post It Is Interesting to see for those who are not Nerds of basketball. I find It interesting we could have a wade/Bosh Combo In Irving and Kanter. Hopefully we do not get the... ::gulp:: the Kwame/Curry combo :eek:

P.S I know Bron and Bosh were the one and four pick... yet I see Irving as a top player like Wade Is along with LeBron to me they both are equally as good as their skills size and handicaps let them be.

It must be noted, too, that the picks are owned by the same team.. I particularly am skeptical of this line of thinking because much of the time it was the top 2 guards/forwards picked at 1 and 4. The Cavs won't be picking two players at the same position, so those years must be counted out (2008, 2006, 1999, 1998, 1996, 1995, and 1994 being nice about it).

Now you're left with samples of 10 years that can actually be indicative of a plan the Cavs would mimic and have it turn out successful. My only point is it must be noted that the Cavs, likely to pick Irving with the first pick, wouldn't have a chance to hit with a second PG because we simply wouldn't pick one. Similarly, good chance that Williams or Kanter would be good, but there is virtually no chance we take both of them, even if they both are sitting there at 1 and 4.

I hope we end up with players like '09 (Blake and Tyreke) and '05 (Bogut and Paul)

It is almost unprecedented that a team has two top picks like this, especially with having the first pick as the first pick is quite a bit more valuable than the second or third for obvious reasons (other than a few huge whiffs like Kandiman and Kwami Brown, it has delivered more franchise players than any other pick) . I can't ever think of a time when a team has had such a great position as we do in this draft. It is a huge opportunity to quickly turn around the fortunes of this franchise.

These threads are pointless. Every draft is different. Rules change, players change and NBA basketball itself has changed.

2001 - #1 Kwame Brown, #4 Eddy Curry

Those two disappointed on the court, but they did play into some pretty valuable trades for Washington (Caron Butler) and Chicago ( 2 unprotected first round picks)

BREAKING: Having the 1st and 4th picks should get the Cavs two good players.

BREAKING: Having the 1st and 4th picks should get the Cavs two good players.

g600616996.gif

Give the OP a break, I like that he atleast put out the last 20+ years for us of the 1st and 4th pick. The 4th pick turned out to be atleast a decent player more often than I would have thought. Makes me even more excited.

Yeah yeah, I know it doesn't matter or pertain to the 2011 NBA draft one bit, but... the last team with 2 picks in top the top 4 was the 1983 Rockets who selected Ralph Sampson & Rodney McCray. They went on to the Finals three years later.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."