• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The 2014 Cleveland Indians

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the Indians are still in the 2013 Playoff race. The Division might be a long-shot, but they are a team that could get hot and make a run at the Wild Card.

With that said, I think the 2014 Indians could be something special. The rebuild is finally starting to bear its fruits, and next year the Indians might not only contend for the Division, but also at taking a shot at the big prize.

There will be several questions heading into 2014, and the rest of this season could provide some answers to those questions. Here's a few to get us going:

1) What will the Indians do with Asdrubal Cabrera?

To say he's declined is being polite. Lonnie Chisenhall is the only starter with a lower average, he has the lowest on-base percentage in the starting lineup, and he's declining defensively. I fully expect the Indians to shop him this winter.

2) Who will be in the rotation?

There are a few locks: Masterson, Kluber, McCallister. The contenders to fill the final two spots include Danny Salazar, Trevor Bauer, Carlos Carrasco, or a free agent. Right now, I'd predict Salazar and a veteran FA.

3) What happens with Chris Perez?

He's battled with fans, silenced himself to the media, has pending legal issues, and is due for another raise. At first glance, it seems like he wouldn't be back. But if he isn't, who closes? Pestano has been mediocre, Smith isn't a closer
...do they give the 9th to Cody Allen? Sign a closer? I think Perez stays.

I think the Indians biggest need is a middle of the order hitter. Interestingly, we have really good depth. Now we need a stud.

Cabrera and Perez both open next season with the club, they'll bring in a veteran starter like Colby Lewis on a non-guaranteed deal and a DH type like Corey Hart, Justin Morneau or Nelly Cruz (price dependent after suspension). Also a few minor league free agent relievers, one of them left-handed.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them go down a tier on the bat. They'll maybe have Juan Aguilar in Triple-A as another possibility.

Starting rotation:

Justin Masterson
Corey Kluber
Zach McAllister
Danny Salazar
Free agent or Carlos Carrasco

Cabrera and Perez both open next season with the club, they'll bring in a veteran starter like Colby Lewis on a non-guaranteed deal and a DH type like Corey Hart, Justin Morneau or Nelly Cruz (price dependent after suspension). Also a few minor league free agent relievers, one of them left-handed.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them go down a tier on the bat. They'll maybe have Juan Aguilar in Triple-A as another possibility.

Starting rotation:

Justin Masterson
Corey Kluber
Zach McAllister
Danny Salazar
Free agent or Carlos Carrasco

God, I hope not.

It's time to cut ties with Asdrubal.

I know his value is really low right now, but he's just been putrid and he's only getting worse defensively.

I can live with Aviles or a stopgap for a year.

I'll post more later.

God, I hope not.

It's time to cut ties with Asdrubal.

I know his value is really low right now, but he's just been putrid and he's only getting worse defensively.

I can live with Aviles or a stopgap for a year.

I'll post more later.

Best case scenario, he realizes next year is his pay-off. He comes in to camp in better shape and has a great season.

Hold on to him, or move him to third base when Lindor is ready and/or Chisenhall continues to prove he isn't a long-term answer. Collect the first round pick when he leaves via free agency, unless you can reap a deal where you get more value this offseason, I'd rather not deal him now when his value may be at it's lowest.

Don't get the idea of getting rid of Asdrubal with the replacement being Aviles. Cabrera is going through the struggle of his life and Aviles, having his best year in 3 seasons, is barely out performing Asdrubal. You get rid of Asdrubal if Lindor is ready.

Best case scenario, he realizes next year is his pay-off. He comes in to camp in better shape and has a great season.

Hold on to him, or move him to third base when Lindor is ready and/or Chisenhall continues to prove he isn't a long-term answer. Collect the first round pick when he leaves via free agency, unless you can reap a deal where you get more value this offseason, I'd rather not deal him now when his value may be at it's lowest.

If they are serious about winning, they cant afford that lazy cancer in the locker room. He is fat, lazy and has diminishing skills, plus he is content to be a loser. You get him out ASAP, it is a no brainer.

Don't get the idea of getting rid of Asdrubal with the replacement being Aviles. Cabrera is going through the struggle of his life and Aviles, having his best year in 3 seasons, is barely out performing Asdrubal. You get rid of Asdrubal if Lindor is ready.

At least Aviles is busting his ass out there. Asdrubal's been out of shape, lazy, awful defensively, and just worthless at the plate. There really isn't one positive thing I can say about the guy right now.

Since 2010, he's hit .248 after the all-star break with 20 HR & 99 RBI in 829 AB. It's not just this season.

Yeah, I'm having trouble defending Asdrubal at this point. In today's game when the Indians were up 2-0 and Trout shot one up the middle, he could have dove and at least knocked it down. He waved his glove at it.

If I'm the Indians, I'm talking to St. Louis again in the offseason. Matt Adams would be a great fit at DH.

The Cardinals aren't going to give up a player who is already better and 3 years younger for him.

The Cardinals aren't going to give up a player who is already better and 3 years younger for him.

Matt Adams is seen by many as a DH. The Cardinals have expressed interest in Cabrera several times. I absolutely think something could happen here for Adams or one of their young arms.

Three things I feel pretty strongly about:

1. Chris Perez will not be on the team next season. I think the Indians FO are beginning to see him as a cancer and they certainly will not want to pay him in the $8-10M range next season, which is likely what it will cost to avoid arb. Definate off-season trade bait.

2. Carlos Carasco should be in the starting rotation. Unless the Indians are able to trade up in the off-season, I strongly believe he will have a good season being two years removed from TJ surgery.

3. Ubaldo should be gone as a FA, probably on his own choosing, but I think it will be a unanimous decision on that Mutual Option.

I like our young core and I hope they try to find one more bat to fill the power void. Frankly, our high-end players have not performed to expectations this season (Swisher, Droobs, and Bourn top the list IMO). It is unlikely that we see Lindor before the end of next season, and maybe not even then, so if they keep Droobs I would understand why, but I would be willing to trade him for anything that helps out.

Matt Adams is seen by many as a DH. The Cardinals have expressed interest in Cabrera several times. I absolutely think something could happen here for Adams or one of their young arms.

Hundred percent agree with you.

If they are serious about winning, they cant afford that lazy cancer in the locker room. He is fat, lazy and has diminishing skills, plus he is content to be a loser. You get him out ASAP, it is a no brainer.

People who pretend to know the demeanor of the locker room, calling people a cancer based on the fact you're mad that he's slumping terribly. Cracks me up.

Needless to say, I don't think anyone respects the notion that you have a finger on the pulse of the team.

He is fat though, so there's that.

Three things I feel pretty strongly about:

1. Chris Perez will not be on the team next season. I think the Indians FO are beginning to see him as a cancer and they certainly will not want to pay him in the $8-10M range next season, which is likely what it will cost to avoid arb. Definate off-season trade bait.

2. Carlos Carasco should be in the starting rotation. Unless the Indians are able to trade up in the off-season, I strongly believe he will have a good season being two years removed from TJ surgery.

3. Ubaldo should be gone as a FA, probably on his own choosing, but I think it will be a unanimous decision on that Mutual Option.

I like our young core and I hope they try to find one more bat to fill the power void. Frankly, our high-end players have not performed to expectations this season (Swisher, Droobs, and Bourn top the list IMO). It is unlikely that we see Lindor before the end of next season, and maybe not even then, so if they keep Droobs I would understand why, but I would be willing to trade him for anything that helps out.

Not saying I disagree, but who is going to close?

Also, I'd argue that Bourn has provided close to what is to be expected. His 2013 numbers project to be pretty similar to his 2012 when you factor in the time he missed with his hand injury (he played 155 games for Atlanta last season).

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."