1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

The Brandon Roy train wreck

Discussion in 'Around The NBA' started by Douglar, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

I got to admit that I was curious when Minnesota signed Brandon Roy. It was probably going to be horrible, but there was that outside chance that he was going to come back to the NBA guns a-blazin'. It's so bad it's hard to stop watching. Did Kahn even watch him play before he signed this guy for $10.5 Mil over 2 years? It's as bad as watching Luke Walton play.

2. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

haven't watched either game but a few days ago i read that minnesota hopes he can play like 32mpg which is lol not happening

i understand the idea of keeping him warm and whatever, but the guy will fall apart if they try that

3. RTrees

RTrees Banned

I want to watch them less this year than last year because of this signing. I get depressed watching these situations. Everybody knew he'd probably be one of those part time players who never gets it back, with an occasional teaser game. Just good enough to eat up valuable minutes and shots on an up an coming team trying to grow.

I haven't watched tonight's game yet, but he still has a few years of pretending to be his former self, followed by a few years of collecting checks playing for contenders off the bench before he can reach the master Jermaine O'Neal's level of should've retired a long long time ago.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NarlCavs

NarlCavs Gold Star Member

It didn't seem likely that a player with knees as shot as Roy's are would be able to come back and be consistent and effective. It is kind of sad. I always really liked him as a player too. Portland has had such bad luck as a franchise.
    Guess I could see some team taking a chance on Roy but the T-Wolves were foolish to give him that contract.

5. Tornicade

Tornicade High five!

he had 10 points and six assist his first game and had a bad game his 2nd one. a little bit premature.. Roy certainly isnt supposed to be carrying this team and he wasnt signed for that

6. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

David Kahn drafted a future star point guard in Rubio and immediately did everything in the exact opposite philosophy of Grant and the Cavs. They traded away draft picks, they overpaid for free agents... they overpaid for a guy who should be retired. Watching Minnesota flounder is a great way to remember why the Cavs have all their assets tied up in future draft picks.

• Like Like x 25
  7. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

Heck, the Cavs might even be looking at many of their current players in light of what they could possibly be worth in terms of receiving back draft picks in a trade. Andy, Boobie, and Walton, anyone?

8. Pierre Pan

Pierre Pan Towel Waver

To some extent, Kahn's moves this past season only were dictated by the team's desire to make Kevin Love happy. Love was outspoken in that he stated that the Wolves needed to win now. Consequently, Kahn was in much the same position as Ferry was when he was trying to satisfy LBJ. We all know that Kahn has made some crazy moves in the past, however the Wolves are going to be a damn good team when both Love and Rubio get back. Pekovic is incredibly solid, AK-47 has turned back the clock ( of course, he'll inevitably have injury issues) and I wish we had Schved as our backup PG!

9. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

I don't know about pekovic. Looks like garbage thus far.

10. Maximus

Maximus BANNED Staff Member

He should just cut him now. Realistically, Kahn is only a couple of moves away from achieving his ultimate goal of having no black guys on his team. I wonder if he'd give us Derek Williams for Walton...i'd even throw in Leuer for Cunningham to sweeten the pot.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Maximus

Maximus BANNED Staff Member

Really? Looked great in the Nets game, but that's all i've seen of him this year.

12. Pierre Pan

Pierre Pan Towel Waver

While he hasn't quite been the double-double machine he was in the latter half of last season, he's still averaging almost 14 points per game while shooting 50% from the field and 74% from the line. The improvement I've notched this year so far is that he's doubled his blocks per game (glaring weakness) from .7 to 1.4. Not to mention the fact that he's a physical beast.

13. germancav

germancav Situational Stopper

He left last nights game at half-time because of a soreness in his right knee.

Makes me kind of sad to watch him play like that. Is his last season with the Blazers was somewhat decent compared to what he is playing like right now.

5.8 PPG on 31% shooting is brutal... Especially because he cant guard anyone on defense.

I have no clue why he made a comeback in the first place.

14. Lord Mar

Lord Mar Master

Easy....when life is cruel to you and you're still young....you say F you.

15. beefstew

beefstew Situational Stopper

5 games in and your calling it quits on a guy who hasn't played in a whole season, give it time..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Huber.

Huber. Adrninistrator

They're 4-1 without Love and Rubio and their bench is pretty deep. They have the best PF in the league and a future all-star at PG.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  17. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

it's a really bad sign when he's already leaving games because of knee soreness.

18. schimmk

schimmk Rookie

It's going to take awhile for him to get comfortable playing against the best players in the world again. I don't think he'll return to his Portland playing days but he could still turn into a solid role player for Minnesota. Esp when Love and Rubio come back, the floor will open up for him a little more and by then he should have had enough time to get re acclimated with the NBA game.

19. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

yes

nobody is watching minnesota "flounder" because.....they're not. not even close.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

To be fair, I wrote that early in the season.

That said, Minny is not exactly the best run organization in the NBA. Five games of success in November is nothing to hang your hat on.

Look at the age of the Timberwolves' core: Love and Williams are young, but plenty of guys on this team are in their prime years without a high ceiling. Stiemsma, Barea, and Pekovic are older than you think.

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/roster/2012

I'm not claiming that the Cavs will be better down the line just because of the age of their core. I've seen a young core or two implode. But for conversation sake, look at the ages on this roster in comparison to the Wolves:

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/roster/2012

Funny to think that Boobie would be one of the young guys on that Timberwolves roster, huh?