• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Day the Music Died - 52 years ago today

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
52 years ago today, the world lost music legends Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and The Big Bopper..."the day the music died"

What about.... I dunno... Jimi Hendrix... stevie ray vaughan... hell even Kurt Cobain.... ELVIS!!! =P to even name a few others

Though those guys were AMAZING!

What about.... I dunno... Jimi Hendrix... stevie ray vaughan... hell even Kurt Cobain.... ELVIS!!! =P to even name a few others

Though those guys were AMAZING!

[video=youtube;uAsV5-Hv-7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U[/video]
This song is about those singers who died in the crash. Learn some history son. Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time

Holly had joked, "Well, I hope your old bus freezes up." Jennings joked back, "Well, I hope your plane crashes." Another Holly band member, Tommy Allsup, flipped a coin with Valens for the last available seat, losing the coin toss. Valens exclaimed, "That's the first time I've won anything in my life!"
True story before the crash

[video=youtube;uAsV5-Hv-7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U[/video]
This song is about those singers who died in the crash. Learn some history son. Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time

True story before the crash

I have my history. Fuck off panda

I doubt more than a handfull in here were even alive 52 years ago.

Anyway, just too many greats have died in crashes over the years.

I'm going to say this first: I love Hip Hop music old, new, whatever...

with that out of the way, my Lord did music ever die. Honestly, music now is SHIT compared to years ago.

Music today isn't shit... I can guarantee that. You just have to know where to look... There was shit music back 52 years ago, but the thing about history is that only the best music was remembered. Remember that before you post on how "leet" you are for listening to music only from the 60's or 70's, or "true music" as some might call it.

Just to clarify, I'm not directing this to anyone in particular, just making a general statement. I love plenty of older music, I just like to keep an open mindset and not just listen to one genre or music from specific time period. The key is diversity

/rant

If you think music "sucks" or isn't comparable nowadays, you're just not looking hard enough. . .

out of curiosity when did we determine what the song american pie was about? i thought its basically been determined no one knows what it was about

edit: rather obviously the one line refers to them, but the song is just more or less off the wall.

out of curiosity when did we determine what the song american pie was about? i thought its basically been determined no one knows what it was about

edit: rather obviously the one line refers to them, but the song is just more or less off the wall.

McLean dedicated the American Pie album to Buddy Holly.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/veyPHzxNjog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ozr-EItKGu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These two songs are impossible not to love.

Well I wasn't insinuating I am "leet" for listening to a certain type of music, nor would I ever choose to use that word to describe myself because I am not that nerdy; however, I don't even listen to older music much. And to say I don't know where to look? I mean, if that's what you think. It's my opinion that music has no comparison whatsoever to what it used to be.

Who is someone that we will look back on as an iconic figure in music from the current pool of "amazing artists"?

Thanks for letting me know my opinion is wrong.

McLean dedicated the American Pie album to Buddy Holly.

gotcha. i think i was half drunk last night and talked myself into a corner. yes the song and a line was dedicated to buddy holly, but I guess i was just trying to say the rest of the song is vague

Well I wasn't insinuating I am "leet" for listening to a certain type of music, nor would I ever choose to use that word to describe myself because I am not that nerdy; however, I don't even listen to older music much. And to say I don't know where to look? I mean, if that's what you think. It's my opinion that music has no comparison whatsoever to what it used to be.

Who is someone that we will look back on as an iconic figure in music from the current pool of "amazing artists"?

Thanks for letting me know my opinion is wrong.

I understand music is subjective but to say music doesn't compare is giving very little credit to how the music business is today. The internet has given people access to listen to whatever they want and because of this giant selection, I find it hard to believe that you can't find someone that blows you away. This isn't like older days when something would get completely played out and you didn't have much access to other artists as well as other artists not being able to put out their work. . . at this very moment there's someone in his/her room recording and uploading an album with a computer and recording equipment.

As far as "we looking back", I don't really care for who the majority of people will be looking back at. . . mainstream music has always been garbage and I wouldn't base today's music with the crap that gets played on MTV and that the "majority" of the people like.

I think there's way too much variety and selection for anything to be "iconic" these days. Hell, the Beatles wouldn't have been the force they were if they started today, there's just too much competition. . .

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."