• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Exceptions

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

gratefuldead

NBA Starter
Reaction score
The Cavs have two trade exceptions.

$10,522,500 from Haywood
$2,854,940 from Mike Miller

I can only assume, unless something were to go horribly wrong, we only use one of the exceptions. If the cavs are missing anything, I think it is a true, young backup to Lebron. Someone who can play big minutes while Lebron sits games and doesn't leave a giant hole in the offense or defense. My preference would be a guy who can play the shooting guard spot as well, just in case we need him there. That's the one thing about Jefferson, he's too old and slow to play that spot.

After looking around the NBA and messing with the trade machine, one guy sticks out to me. Wilson Chandler from the Nuggets. He just signed a very fair contract so no worry about having to renegotiate and he fits everything I think we need. He's only 27 so he could be Lebron's backup for the foreseeable future. Lebron needs to play less and less in the regular season.

If the Nuggets really struggle, this is a dude I could definitely see them moving at the deadline. It would be either him or Gallo and I think they like Danillo more. Last year they were asking 2 firsts, maybe 1 would do it this season.

Regardless of who else we are looking at, I think Wilson should top of the list

I think we will now be forced to save the TPE until after the season is over so that if Mozgov's market value proves to be a max or near max deal, we have an alternate path to a rim protector. People are saying we will pay up for Mozgov, but I believe he could get as much as 5y/120m and that's something that will be hard to absorb and so I would think the Cavs would explore options for landing a cheaper rim protector type via trade.

I guess it's hard to predict at this point, but we look pretty set for this season, even with the occasional injury. If we lost a key player for the season due to injury I could then see a move being made during the season.

I think we will now be forced to save the TPE until after the season is over so that if Mozgov's market value proves to be a max or near max deal, we have an alternate path to a rim protector. People are saying we will pay up for Mozgov, but I believe he could get as much as 5y/120m and that's something that will be hard to absorb and so I would think the Cavs would explore options for landing a cheaper rim protector type via trade.

I guess it's hard to predict at this point, but we look pretty set for this season, even with the occasional injury. If we lost a key player for the season due to injury I could then see a move being made during the season.

I feel like if we lost shump for the post season our perimeter defense would be trash. I mean, delly tries but he's not good. Lebron is great but he's lost a step on D. TT can fill in some gaps..

Plus when Lebron sits we are going to be starting 35 yr old Richard Jefferson. We wore Marion down starting him last year.

I understand we should protect ourselves if Moz leaves. I'm honestly worried we have no one young to give Lebron nights off. I mean, we need to win some of those games and we barely won without him last year.

The Cavs have two trade exceptions.

$10,522,500 from Haywood
$2,854,940 from Mike Miller

I can only assume, unless something were to go horribly wrong, we only use one of the exceptions. If the cavs are missing anything, I think it is a true, young backup to Lebron. Someone who can play big minutes while Lebron sits games and doesn't leave a giant hole in the offense or defense. My preference would be a guy who can play the shooting guard spot as well, just in case we need him there. That's the one thing about Jefferson, he's too old and slow to play that spot.

After looking around the NBA and messing with the trade machine, one guy sticks out to me. Wilson Chandler from the Nuggets. He just signed a very fair contract so no worry about having to renegotiate and he fits everything I think we need. He's only 27 so he could be Lebron's backup for the foreseeable future. Lebron needs to play less and less in the regular season.

If the Nuggets really struggle, this is a dude I could definitely see them moving at the deadline. It would be either him or Gallo and I think they like Danillo more. Last year they were asking 2 firsts, maybe 1 would do it this season.

Regardless of who else we are looking at, I think Wilson should top of the list

They aren't looking at anyone. What you see is what you get with this roster, at least for the 2015-2016 season.

The Cavs are now just a hair under $25M over the tax line. Any salary they add would be taxed at $4.25 per dollar for the first five million and increasing by $0.50 for each five million after.

Wilson Chandler is due to make $10.5M this year. If the Cavs traded for him, they'd owe that plus ~$47 MILLION in additional taxes.

So, you can use the trade exception this year, but it'll cost you a couple of draft picks and $60M dollars.

The trade exception is/was insurance against either TT or Moz leaving. If Timo bolts early next summer, they can attempt to replace his salary and still pay essentially the same in taxes.

I think the trade exception was always meant as insurance in case they could not retain any important part of last year's team. I expect it will be used the same way for next off-season. I don't see it being used otherwise. But this is another example of the quality of the organization to maximize assets for the "just in case" scenarios.

I still think we need to pickup another decent wing player. If Chandler is too expensive, another guy who might get moved is Gerald Henderson. He's only on a one year deal and he's making $6 million.

maybe we could dump harris and cunningham salaries?

To suggest a name, Zach Lowe has suggested that Phoenix may consider trading P.J. Tucker:
P.J. Tucker is starting to feel a little extraneous, even though he gives the Suns a bulldog defensive mentality on the wing and can slide to power forward in small lineups. That skill doesn’t feel quite as essential with Mirza Teletovic and T.J. Warren around, and Warren is ready for bigger minutes at Tucker’s regular position. Archie Goodwin should play more, too, and Sonny Weems is here.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/35-crazy-predictions-for-the-2015-16-nba-season/

He has shot 39% and 35% on 3s in the last two years (41% and 36% from the corners) and can defend physical wings as well as occasionally stretchier power forwards. He fits well as a good defender who is low usage on offense, and is also on a very reasonable contract at $5.5m in 15-16 and $5.3m in 16-17. I would happily give up a future 1st for him.

However, I think I agree with Bob in that it is unlikely we take on more salary this year unless Dan has found a money tree in his back garden.

To suggest a name, Zach Lowe has suggested that Phoenix may consider trading P.J. Tucker:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/35-crazy-predictions-for-the-2015-16-nba-season/

He has shot 39% and 35% on 3s in the last two years (41% and 36% from the corners) and can defend physical wings as well as occasionally stretchier power forwards. He fits well as a good defender who is low usage on offense, and is also on a very reasonable contract at $5.5m in 15-16 and $5.3m in 16-17. I would happily give up a future 1st for him.

However, I think I agree with Bob in that it is unlikely we take on more salary this year unless Dan has found a money tree in his back garden.

ahhhh yes, good call i like him too. his age is a little more worrisome for me if we wanted him past this season.

he does fit the bill though.

we just need a guy who can play for lebron and not be a negative out there and who isnt at the end of his career.

These end of their contract guys won't be quite so expensive if we wait until the trade deadline to get them. I'd be shocked if we didn't do something at the deadline for the playoff push. Contending teams almost always grab an extra big or defender going into the playoffs.

Given the Cavs' asset situation, the key to using the TPE is three part:

1. Find a team that sucks or is going to suck.
2. Find a team that is also over the cap or in the tax.
3. Look at what players might be expendable.

If you're guessing, heading in to this season, those teams would be:

Brooklyn Nets (11 million over, not in tax)
Charlotte Hornets (7 million over, not in tax)
New York Knicks (4 million over, not in tax)

Those really are the only 3 teams that meet the suck criteria and would likely be looking to move a redundant or expendable piece to save money.

I think someone like Tucker doesn't make any sense for Phoenix because his contract is affordable, he still can contribute and they don't really need cap cap relief (3.7 mil over the cap, 11 mil under the apron).

Maybe a good team suffers some injuries and decides to move a player but I really don't see another team desperate to give someone away (the only possible candidate of the contending group is probably Houston, because Morey is insane when it comes to trade chips). Since the Cavs really don't have meaningful assets to offer, I think it's a stretch that they even use the TPE. At this point it just seems like insurance on Moz, where they would use it plus draft / players rights to absorb a player in the off-season.

Last edited:
we only have two good perimeter defenders and one has a bum wrist

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."