• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Forgotten Finals

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ohio

Woosah
Reaction score
Forgotten Finals: Why don't Rockets' consecutive titles get their due?

What about what happened in between those two Chicago three-peats? It's a long-form story and video documentary on the 1994 Finals between the Knicks and Rockets -- an epic matchup of Hall of Fame centers Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon that was overshadowed by Jordan's absence, the O.J. Simpson case and more.

The series itself wasn't all that became obscured in history. The Rockets also got lost between Jordan's three straight titles on either side of Houston's back-to-back championships in 1994 and '95.

Fairly or unfairly, Houston's back-to-back championship teams haven't gotten their due. In '94, Jordan was playing baseball in the Southern League. As the series reached its apex in Game 5, the nation turned its eyes to the O.J. chase.

Jordan was back in '95, but Olajuwon and the Rockets didn't get a chance to play them in the Finals. Jordan's Bulls lost to the Orlando Magic of O'Neal and Penny Hardaway, who were swept by the Rockets.

"There's nothing we can do about other people's opinions and takes on certain things," former Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said Saturday on CBS Sports Radio. "All I know is, we had to go through Ewing, who was a championship-type player. We had to go through Charles [Barkley] and KJ [Kevin Johnson] twice. We had to go through [Karl] Malone and [John] Stockton twice. And then we had to beat San Antonio, who had a great year. I feel very proud of what we did."

As he should.

Among the things you'll learn in the "Forgotten Finals" is how badly the Rockets wanted to play the Bulls in '95; whether Tomjanovich was convinced getting Clyde Drexler that season was the right move; and how protective Olajuwon is of his back-to-back titles.

Should those Rockets teams be viewed in the same light as other back-to-back champions? Should we have been paying more attention instead of getting distracted by the White Bronco chase?

With the next game not until Sunday ( :( ), I thought you basketball junkies would enjoy this trip down memory lane. Or if you were a toddler at the time like me, reading up on some unique history. I must say this video and written doc is pretty fantastic.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/feature/24559469

Those back to back championships are why Hakeem is the greatest center in the modern NBA. Hakeem, at the end of his career and past his prime, took Shaq at his physical peak to the woodshed.

I'm sure they don't get much attention because they figure if Jordan never left basketball the Bulls won have won 8 in a row.

That 1995 title run by the Rockets is one of the great runs in NBA playoff history. Beating a 60-win team, a 59-win team, a 62-win team and a 57-win team- the teams with the four best records in the NBA- to do so without homecourt and to win seven straight on the road to end that run was really a remarkable achievement.

Those back to back championships are why Hakeem is the greatest center in the modern NBA. Hakeem, at the end of his career and past his prime, took Shaq at his physical peak to the woodshed.

Don't forget about completely destroying league MVP David Robinson.

[video=youtube;hW4uXlRGAF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4uXlRGAF0[/video]

Great thread.

Thanks all around. Thanks for everyone.

Last edited:
I grew up in Houston watching those Rockets teams and they formed my love for basketball. Mario Elie's kiss of death, Vernon Maxwell punching a fan, Clyde Drexlers weird shooting form, Robert Horry's clutch 3 ball shooting, Kenny Smiths consistent shooting. Sam Cassell was my favorite other than Hakeem because he was smaller and so was I.

I remember they had to go through the Utah Jazz and Utah's fans were THE most hated in the league. There was controversy over Hakeem's dream shake and whether or not he was actually traveling so one game the Utah Jazz fan's starting singing "Walk Like a Nigerian" in unison.

Then this happened:

[video=youtube;vH7yHRhDz5A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH7yHRhDz5A[/video]

I'm sure they don't get much attention because they figure if Jordan never left basketball the Bulls won have won 8 in a row.
Yeah I've heard that from several Bulls fans before, including one today at work which reminded me of this thread.

I think it's pretty stupid to discount Houston's championships because Jordan decided he needed to lay low after his gambling shenanigans. Houston did nothing wrong, they won the championships fair and square. If I was a Rockets fan I wouldn't give a shit what anyone said.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda, who cares. Those championships are theirs.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."