• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Fortnite (and Battle Royale) Megathread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
Figured that arguably the biggest game on the planet and the poster-child of the ever-emerging Battle Royale genre deserved its own thread.

7a0fb21a-df9e-490a-894e-3d44a87d59fd.jpg

WHERE WE DROPPIN' BOYS!?!

is it worth playing? normally stay away form online gaming due to previous addiction issues

is it worth playing? normally stay away form online gaming due to previous addiction issues

Well it's free, so if you hate it, no harm done.

Worst case scenario, you may relapse. Game can be extremely addicting.

I was super huge into Overwatch, a game that I spent $55 on and still hold in very high regard, but Fortnite has pretty much sent it right to the back of the line for the last two months.

I do think it is most enjoyable with friends who know what they are doing however. Learn the game a bit for yourself and then see if you've got any buddies that play. Outside of doing the weekly challenges which would be annoying to try to do in a group, I really can't play the game solo anymore. So much more fun working together with a team.

I play this on PS4 sometimes. Its pretty cool no matter your skill level. We try to win but talk a lot of shit to each other.

Equally as much a social game as much as competitive.

My kids dream about Fortnite. Wake up thinking about Fortnite. Talk to all their friends about Fortnite. Watch Fortnite videos, sometimes WHILE they play Fortnite. Play Fortnite as much as humanly possible. Go to sleeping thinking about Fortnite.

Nothing in the world is more important to them than Fortnite.

What does everyone think about Black Out aka Call of Duty: Battle Royale.

I hate Call of Duty but this is the first game with a chance to challenge Fortnite for players.

What does everyone think about Black Out aka Call of Duty: Battle Royale.

I hate Call of Duty but this is the first game with a chance to challenge Fortnite for players.
I don't think any Battle Royale will be that competitive to Fortnite if it isn't free to play just for beginners. Let alone as fun and good quality wise.

COD pulls big numbers regardless and the people that are going to buy it are the people that buy it anyway. Now it could grab some extra people if the BR is legit. Like I said, I'd even consider it for once if it was good. But it won't take away from Fortnite. Fortnite is very unique and most other shooters are relatively the same to a certain degree. So I love the variety and the ability to switch it up, but I think the majority are still going to play Fortnite primarily or at least not give it up.

In terms of the style of game I agree. I much prefer the realistic-ish aesthetics, ADS, bullet physics, etc. Shooting is just so much more fun and engaging in PUBG. (when it works :chuckle:)

It's just that PUBG is such a terribly made in so many technical regards, I don't blame people flocking to Fortnite. Why pay $30 for a piece of shit game made by amateur developers, now with a horrific paid loot crate system, when you can download Fortnite for free and play a well-made BR?

My hope is that CoD Blackout or BF5 delivers a much improved version of the PUBG experience.

I actually used to love to watch PUBG on Twitch all the time, but I've never had a good PC so I've never played the game but always wished I could so bad. Then I heard a Battle Royale was dropping to console and I don't care what it was, I was playing it regardless if it was a BR on console. It happened to be Fortnite, so that is how I got into it. I downloaded it on like day one.

I didn't play Fornite super hardcore in the beginning even though it was fun, I just wasn't playing anything at the time. First year since 2006 I haven't bought 2k for example. But now Fortnite has blew up and I wish I did play way more because I could have been a lot better than I am now. To be fair, the game has changed a lot, and crazy building wasn't even a meta in the beginning like it is now.

But now, people that have started the game way after me are now way better than me and have played probably double or triple as much as I have. It is only now that I'm really starting to play more, but it feels like I'm so far behind in terms of catching up skill wise with the building. I know that is what it takes to be elite. I'm not even that bad at building, just not good enough.

Here is the COD Blackout trailer, my first time seeing it:

Now the trailer looks good, but I can't base things on how trailers look anymore. I will only get it after it's been out for months and have proven to be good. And if the price is right. If it's a separate download from their main game and much cheaper, that greatly increases the chance I'll get it.

Now this very well could be the finishing killing blow on PUBG imo. Fortnite has already destroyed it but it still is doing well enough in it's niche as the anti-Fortnite. It may always have it's loyal fan base, but COD is it's first competition as the more "realistic" type of shooter. The styles likely will be different enough, but a better game is a better game. Especially if they were going to release PUBG on Ps4, it may not be worth it to them. Now, I'd definitely play PUBG on Ps4 if it was free or cheap, but all of that is doubtful and I doubt they even bother putting resources into it after all this upcoming competition.

The interesting thing to me is COD trying to do a massive map with vehicles. I just can't see them doing that better than Battlefield. Maybe Battlefield doesn't come out with a BR, but still. I wonder how you even execute a BR from a game stand point while implementing helicopters, ships, etc. like this trailer is showing. If BF did a BR, I'd assume it wouldn't involve planes, tanks, etc. Perhaps ATV's or buggies to get around, but no heavy artillery. I can see maybe a place for that stuff in squads, which this trailer does seem to show squads and duo's. But it still seems hard to fairly implement vehicles that give a big advantage unless everyone has one, and then that wouldn't really be a BR.

Here is the COD Blackout trailer, my first time seeing it:

Now the trailer looks good, but I can't base things on how trailers look anymore. I will only get it after it's been out for months and have proven to be good. And if the price is right. If it's a separate download from their main game and much cheaper, that greatly increases the chance I'll get it.

Now this very well could be the finishing killing blow on PUBG imo. Fortnite has already destroyed it but it still is doing well enough in it's niche as the anti-Fortnite. It may always have it's loyal fan base, but COD is it's first competition as the more "realistic" type of shooter. The styles likely will be different enough, but a better game is a better game. Especially if they were going to release PUBG on Ps4, it may not be worth it to them. Now, I'd definitely play PUBG on Ps4 if it was free or cheap, but all of that is doubtful and I doubt they even bother putting resources into it after all this upcoming competition.

The interesting thing to me is COD trying to do a massive map with vehicles. I just can't see them doing that better than Battlefield. Maybe Battlefield doesn't come out with a BR, but still. I wonder how you even execute a BR from a game stand point while implementing helicopters, ships, etc. like this trailer is showing. If BF did a BR, I'd assume it wouldn't involve planes, tanks, etc. Perhaps ATV's or buggies to get around, but no heavy artillery. I can see maybe a place for that stuff in squads, which this trailer does seem to show squads and duo's. But it still seems hard to fairly implement vehicles that give a big advantage unless everyone has one, and then that wouldn't really be a BR.
I think battlefield is coming out with BR though. So it's about to get very, very interesting. AAA has entered into the fold with battle royal.

Having played both extensively, I’d say PUBG had more potential, but was executed so horribly that it’ll never recover. Player base is already dwindling a bit and will probably be buried once some of these Triple-A titles drop their latest releases with battle royales this fall.

I think battlefield is coming out with BR though. So it's about to get very, very interesting. AAA has entered into the fold with battle royal.
I'm already hyped for the Battlefield reveal today regardless of what they do. But I'd lose my mind if they had a BR too. We will see. Trying to not get my hopes up. But it's smart for developers to take advantage of the BR train while they can. It almost seems like a must to be competitive right now. If COD has one but they don't, it actually gives COD a big leg up and that is their biggest comp.

Even though the games are very different and pretty much have their own fan bases set by now, this is the year where it could really sway some people to the other side depending on who executes a BR better. I'm sure COD is hoping to introduce people back over through the BR which they hope will make people also want to play their main game.

I'm already hyped for the Battlefield reveal today regardless of what they do. But I'd lose my mind if they had a BR too. We will see. Trying to not get my hopes up. But it's smart for developers to take advantage of the BR train while they can. It almost seems like a must to be competitive right now. If COD has one but they don't, it actually gives COD a big leg up and that is their biggest comp.

Even though the games are very different and pretty much have their own fan bases set by now, this is the year where it could really sway some people to the other side depending on who executes a BR better. I'm sure COD is hoping to introduce people back over through the BR which they hope will make people also want to play their main game.
Yeah, big open maps with vehicles is battlefields wheelhouse. Not so much for call of duty. It would be a big mistake for battlefield not to include this mode.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."