1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

The House fails Hurricane Sandy victims

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KI4MVP, Jan 2, 2013.

1. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

how can it be that this wasn't taken care of already?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/02/politics/house-sandy-aid-vote/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

• Like Like x 5
  2. Man Called X

Man Called X Not a **** was given

'Merica, fuck yeah.

3. Tlyons

Tlyons Sixth Man

In before "But Obama was on vacation"

4. southernflyer

southernflyer Situational Stopper

How is it that insurance companies project totat costs for them to be between $20-25b for Sandy, but the government needs to pass $60b in emergency funding? Read the bill and see where so much of it has no direct correlation to the actual damage by the storm. Hey, we always thought of doing this but didn't have the money, so let's tack it on to the hurricane bill. The problem isn't the want or need to help, as can be seen when individual items are spelled out ... $2m here, $5m there. We know where those funds are going. The problem is these block grants of $.5b or $3b or $10b to a whole federal agency where there is very little accountability.

When you add it up, the Department of Transportation gets almost $11B which "up to $5,383 million (looks better on paper than $5.3 billion) may be transferred to other agencies at the Department of Transportation to support mitigation projects in other modes of transportation". The Coast Guard gets almost $250m. $100m for repairing HeadStart centers, which sounds good ... until you read it is also for "and other supplemental costs associated with continuing services to affected children" which could amount to almost anything. Over $300,000 per each of the 265 HeadStart centers. $1/3B for Amtrak. $17B to HUD.

http://www.appropriations.senate.gov/news.cfm?method=news.download&id=1577fd5f-9036-4155-85e6-a80b3d58e9eb

5. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

• Like Like x 1
  6. southernflyer

southernflyer Situational Stopper

Subtracting the over $16.5 billion in mitigation and future prevention from that as this is an emergency response package, can the MTA justify $5 billion in expenses related to the storm? Looking at the NY spreadsheet, why does Westchester county not need any major funding ($527m total) compared to Nassau county (6.6b total), but they need almost as much ($400m compared to $427m) in business funding? Why does NJ need $5.5b for parks and environment, but NY only needs $793m? I understand areas are devastated differently and have been through hurricanes in Florida. Why did NJ only request $2.6m for schools in the state?

How much of this is already being paid by the private sector and insurance? It is always easier to over estimate and ask for more money, especially when it won't be yours that is being spent. We had a guy last week who was travelling and his bag was damaged. How much would it cost to replace? He said $312. I told him to send me a link for the bag and I would buy it online and send him a new one to his hotel. He said he would buy it on his own. When I asked for a receipt so i could cut him a check today, it suddenly only cost $135.

Do I think there was a tremendous amount of damage, yes. Do I want to help those who are in need, absolutely. Do I think there should be accountability in making sure the damages are just and not based on what some government official says is needed and doesn't go into some general fund, no doubt in my mind.

7. Cratylus

Cratylus Brunette Connoisseur

Liberals are always generous with other people's money, especially when that money comes from a nebulous source like "the government" or "the taxpayers". Who gives a shit whether the numbers are accurate, and how dare you demand any kind of accountability!? If you don't give, give, give immediately without questioning then you're an evil bastard who hates childen, the elderly, hurricane victims, [insert your own "helpless" group here].

• Like Like x 4
  8. Tlyons

Tlyons Sixth Man

Christie's a liberal?

• Like Like x 1
  9. KCOTT

KCOTT OSU Alum

so true

10. bob2the2nd

bob2the2nd member 32

after the last 2 hurricanes with major impacts there was emergency funding passed 40 and 60 days after the hurricane hit. this one is now at 90 days and counting, and unlike the other two specifically helps north east (democratic) states. maybe its coincidence, maybe the house just forgot to vote on it or something, however it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out there are a lot of people that still need help and as of right now the the speaker of the house has done shit to help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

to followup on what bob posted

https://www.google.com/search?clien...passes bill hurricane sandy&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It only took 4 days to start sending federal aid.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  12. Rich

Rich Hall-of-Famer

Pete King is a joke. The man, not 24 hours earlier, was saying things like posted above about Boehner stabbing him in the back. He then votes for John Boehner to be speaker of the House. Political grandstanding at its finest. Don't take the bait.