1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

The Implosion of the Los Angeles Lakers

Discussion in 'Around The NBA' started by MGMT, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MGMT

MGMT Preview Team

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck wit
    Dwight seems so sad all the time nowadays.

2. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

The lakers need to trade Howard for Lopez if the Nets will still do it (plus whatever they need to get the salaries to work). That's increasingly looking like the only way for them to salvage this season. Howard quite clearly doesn't have the heart and the lakers are running out of time. His last two seasons have been a complete disgrace to the game. Can the commissioner kick him off of the all star team for "basketball reasons?"

After tonight's game

and

He only missed 3 games.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. shoes22

shoes22 All-Star

And I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jack Brickman

Jack Brickman Preview Team

Re: Tracking the 2013 Draft Picks

I still enjoyed it. Fuck the Lakers.

Maybe we don't get their pick, but if we don't, that means the Lakers didn't make the playoffs for the first time in over two decades, so I look at it as win-win.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bigfoot5415

bigfoot5415 The Original HN3108

They didnt make it in 05'. They were also put out in the first orund in 06 & 07'

Although the Cavs & Dan responded to me on twitter, I am still holding out that they did not protect the pick from us.

6. Ruken

Ruken In the Rotation

I brought this up the other day with a friend. They need to get something out of him because he is going to bolt

7. Dr. Gymbo

Dr. Gymbo Resident Microbiologist

You guys need to just let this go. We aren't getting the pick from the Lakers. It's just not in the cards this year.

8. Ruken

Ruken In the Rotation

Oh and Dwights a huge bitch

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marcus

Marcus Let's go Cabs!

Wanted to make this a separate thread to the Mike D'Antoni thread. Feel free to move if needed.

I don't know that I have ever seen such a public implosion of a sports team than what we have witnessed this past year with the Los Angeles Lakers. To recap:

July 4th, 2012 - Steve Nash agrees to a sign-and-trade deal with the Phoenix Suns that sends him to the Lakers.

August 10th, 2012 - Dwight Howard is moved to the Lakers in a four-team trade that also sees Andre Iguodala move to Denver and Andrew Bynum to Philadelphia.

November 9th, 2012 -
    Just five games into the season, former Cavaliers head coach Mike Brown is fired after a 1-4 start, to much criticism from around the league.

November 12th, 2012 - Mike D'Antoni, NOT Phil Jackson as was first widely believed, is hired to become the next head coach of the Lakers.

The Lakers currently sit at 23-27, 10th in the Western Conference and 3.5 games out of the 8th seed. Per a D'Antoni-coached team, they are 6th in PPG but 25th in opponent PPG. They average more turnovers per game than they force. Dwight Howard is hurt (or so he says) and he is publicly pouting. Kobe, per usual, is calling his teammates out in the media. Pau Gasol has publicly expressed his displeasure in coming off the bench and was experiencing one of the worst seasons of his career until he tore his right plantar fascia at Brooklyn the other night. Now he is going to miss 6-8 weeks if he rehabs the injury, or 10-12 if he opts for surgery. This team needs to swallow their pride, admit that the Dwight Howard experiment didn't work, and deal him away before the deadline, because unless things magically change overnight, I don't see him staying in LA next season.

What a mess. I guess it goes to show that just because something looks good on paper, doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into wins. At any rate, I would very much like for the Lakers to sneak into the playoffs so that the Cavs will be able to get that draft pick. If they do, it seems very likely that it could end up as high as the mid to late teens.

10. shoes22

shoes22 All-Star

Being delusional even though you were directly told otherwise isn't going to help things. Of course the swap is protected, otherwise the Lakers deal with Phoenix couldn't have happened.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marcus

Marcus Let's go Cabs!

They actually have missed the postseason in the last few years (I think someone said it was '05), but even if we don't get that pick I still look at it as a "super team" that failed to live up to any of the hype they generated, and that right there makes me happy.

Dwight Howard and Mike D'Antoni are sinking this team. They need to swallow their pride and cut both of them loose -- Howard before the deadline, and D'Antoni after they miss the playoffs for the first time in 8 years and only the second time in the last 20 or so.

12. Jack Brickman

Yeah I missed that year when I was scanning their recent playoff berths. All those dates kind of blend together. Still, once in 20 years? That's nothing. Prior to the 04-05 season, the last time the Lakers missed the playoffs was 93-94, twenty years ago, and before that it was 75-76. Think about that. Since 1976, the Lakers have missed the playoffs twice. In their entire history, they've missed the playoffs five damn times.

Sure, we may not get a pick, but enjoy this. It's fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  13. chrisrich91

chrisrich91 Rising Back Up

I really can't take much enjoyment out of the Lakers missing the playoffs. They'll reload and be back in title contention soon regardless, because they're the Lakers.

Not getting the #15-16 pick in the draft sucks. That could end up being a stud, or could be an asset that could facilitate a trade up for our guy. I wanted that damn pick.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Jack Brickman

I think the times are changing for the Lakers. The son is not the father. The Lakers are about to go the way of the Knicks in my opinion. They already made a very "Knicks" decision when they passed over Phil Jackson in favor of Mike D'Antoni.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chardon

Chardon Hall of Farmer

I thought the Cavs get the pick if the Lakers miss the playoffs.

16. rabman_gold

rabman_gold Anti-Florida yet stuck here...

No... the Lakers are somewhat of a travesty this year. But because of their general value, they will be set up to contend sometime down the road. It's not determined when, but they'll be back because of their market value.

But if they don't get in this year, it's a shame, but it's not the worst thing. We don't like those assholes anyways, even if we move up.

And so what if we don't? We still have Miami's Pick, right?! Don't you guys remember we traded a similar 3 picks last year to get the 17th pick? Well, we have double the amount of assets, getting the pick or not is not a big deal...

17. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

They should trade Dwight for any big they can get. Lopez, Horford, Cousins, whatever. I would be stunned if they miss the playoffs and Dwight stayed.

18. Jack Brickman

You know who else has amazing market value? The New York Knicks. And yet they were terrible for most of a decade because of a terrible owner and management.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wulfgar1224

Wulfgar1224 Situational Stopper

No, it is the opposite. The Cavs have the right to swap the Lakers pick and Miami's pick only if the Lakers do make the playoffs. If that happens, the Cavs would get the Lakers pick and Phoenix would get Miami's. If the Lakers miss the playoffs, then Phoenix gets LA's pick and the Cavs would get Miami's.

The Gasol injury was bad luck for them. They were playing much better with Gasol starting and Howard out of the lineup. This year has exposed D'Antoni for the lousy coach that he is however. He is a poor leader and cannot fit his system to the skillset of his team.

• Like Like x 2
  20. bigfoot5415

bigfoot5415 The Original HN3108

[​IMG] GIFSoup

F the pick. I love seeing them suffer. Even if they weasel in, theyll be put out 1st round.

Still holding out hope that Grant managed to get an unprotected swap and didnt want to jinx it. Despite what the Cavs twitter account has messaged me, I still have hope.