• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Last of Us

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MoneyMP3

Long Live The Idols
Reaction score
I have been waiting for this game for so long. For those of you who don't know about it, it is a game set in a post apocalypse America. It is a survival horror game developed by Naughty Dog and is a PS3 exclusive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rJOzURIy63U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZEs33aWkX2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/the-last-of-us-review

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/the-last-of-us-review/1900-580/

http://www.edge-online.com/review/the-last-of-us-review/

This game has really made me consider buying a PS3 but I can't justify it at this point with new consoles coming this year. Might have to buy this game and borrow a friends PS3 for a week

Really wish I had a PS3...

Just not worth it at this point in the console's lifespan. I also read that it will not be remade so that it is on the PS4. I'm really upset that I'm going to miss this game.

I just preordered Monday. The store owner said a rep was in a few days before so he got to play it for 3 hours. Said he barely scratched the surface of it.

I preordered this game a year ago (June 8th, according to Amazon). Next week!

Really wish I had a PS3...

Just not worth it at this point in the console's lifespan. I also read that it will not be remade so that it is on the PS4. I'm really upset that I'm going to miss this game.

Just go grab a used PS3 for like 125 some where.

That is worth it enough for me, even more so after I kill the cable TV

Can't believe this is PS3 exclusive. Terrible.

Can't believe this is PS3 exclusive. Terrible.

I bought a PS3 a couple years back solely for Disgaea 3/4, White Knight Chronicles, MGS4, and Heavy Rain. Make this the 5th title I actually buy for it.

Anyone with a decent home theater setup should probably own a PS3 as it's the most economical Bluray player there is. Redbox + PS3 = Good deal. Also, the PS3 does 3D much better and streaming from the PS3 is wide open, so you can use whatever the hell you want on the backend.

360 is the better gaming console, though, IMO - for various reasons.

Anyone with a decent home theater setup should probably own a PS3 as it's the most economical Bluray player there is. Redbox + PS3 = Good deal. Also, the PS3 does 3D much better and streaming from the PS3 is wide open, so you can use whatever the hell you want on the backend.

360 is the better gaming console, though, IMO - for various reasons.

Bullshit and you know it. PS3 does not play MKV files natively through streaming, only off of USB/Hard Drive, and thanks to Sony, Cinavia protection is in full force on BluRay/DVD/Cams.

PS3 has better controls for streaming media, allowing you to skip minutes etc in streaming media that the 360 doesn't, but the 360 doesn't have to deal with fucking bullshit Cinavia protection cutting out the sound.

For once, I feel like the superior in this subject, because this is the shit I deal with daily. Dammit Gour, I've got over 16 TBs of TV shows/movies/etc set up on my media server.

*edit* Samsung Smart TVs from 2012 on are amazing at dealing with video files. Plays MKV natively, no Cinavia since it's not a Blu Ray Player, and allows for multiple audio streams/subtitles. I have literally only found one series *Zoids Genesis* that has not managed to play properly, and I just needed to fix the subtitles to a new format to fix that issue.

Last edited:
Bullshit and you know it. PS3 does not play MKV files natively through streaming, only off of USB/Hard Drive, and thanks to Sony, Cinavia protection is in full force on BluRay/DVD/Cams.

uhh no.. I use Plex Media Center and I play 1080p 3D HSBS MKVs all day. Most media centers transcode in real-time.

PS3 has better controls for streaming media, allowing you to skip minutes etc in streaming media that the 360 doesn't, but the 360 doesn't have to deal with fucking bullshit Cinavia protection cutting out the sound.

I've never had any issues with sound, and PS3 allows streaming 7.1 HD audio for DTS and Dolby Digital which the 360 does not. I don't see how that's not an enormous advantage, again, for anyone with a home theater. Why would you pay $1k+ for speakers and a receiver that you cannot even use if the 360 is the base of your media center? The PS3 can do these things, with great 3D, and Bluray. The 360 cannot.

For once, I feel like the superior in this subject, because this is the shit I deal with daily. Dammit Gour, I've got over 16 TBs of TV shows/movies/etc set up on my media server.

I don't have 16TiB but I do have 6TiB, and I own both consoles. The 360 simply doesn't compare - it doesn't. You cannot get TruHD audio, you cannot do 1080 HSBS 3D on most setups, the backend does not support as many servers as the PS3, and there is no Bluray which is kinda the whole point.

The 360 does have Kinect, and Windows Media Center, but that's it. If you don't run Windows, or don't want to use WMC, the PS3 is vastly superior for the aforementioned reasons. If you're having difficulties with audio, why not use a transcoder on your streaming backend? There are many to choose from and ffmpeg is included in almost ever media server there is. FFMpeg also has PS3 specific settings that can be flagged on the command-line that will output exactly what the PS3 expects (repacked/muxed without re-encoding).

p.s.
X, I just looked up whether or not the PS3 can play MKVs, because I know I play them all the time - and indeed it does. The issue people have is they use media servers that do not support MKV or attempt to incorrectly transcode the files. The PS3 does not need transcoding and can play MKV natively, you can test this by simply using a file server, the PS3 Media Server or TVersity or Plex, and all will allow MKV, 3D, HD SBS, and TruHD audio. None of those things you can do on the 360 - and you still can't playback Blurays, which is huge.

Gour, the PS3 can only play MKVs if they are on the hard drive or on a USB drive. You CANNOT STREAM THE MKV NATIVELY FROM THE PS3.

TRANSCODING IS NOT PLAYING NATIVELY. My PS3 Media Server *well I use Universal Media server* which is the subjunk build.

And since I don't use DTS, I still get hit by Cinavia. The reason you don't is because the Cinavia watermark does not get passed on using DTS and it allows the audio file to skip the PS3 for decoding.

And I have a hell of a time with random lag spots in either Media Server I run, I fucking hate Plex and Tvserity.

Now my Samsung Smart TV, it streams directly from the file. There is no transcoding for anything.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."