• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Mecca of Basketball

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

morgwon

Situational Stopper
Reaction score
I thought this would be fun thread to see if we can find which area has been responsible for the most NBA talent. They give this title to NY but I don't think they produce the most NBA talent and their NBA team barely produces watchable basketball. Since I am from Chicago I am most familiar with the talent that this area has produced. In order to qualify the player had to have played at least 2 HS in the city. This is why Kevin Garnett is not on the list. He played one year for Farragut.

Active NBA Players

- Derrick Rose
- Anthony Davis
- Evan Turner
- Iman Shumpert
- Dwyane Wade
- Nazr Muhammad
- Tony Allen
- Will Bynum
- Shannon Brown
- Quentin Richardson
- Janero Pargo
- JaVele McGee
- Corey Maggette

Retired NBA Players

- Tim Hardaway
- Maurice Cheeks
- Dan Issel
- Mark Aguirre
- George Mikan
- Johnny Red Kerr
- Isaiah Thomas
- Jeff Hornacek
- Antoine Walker
- Michael Finley
- Terry Cummings
- Eddie Johnson
- Juwan Howard

Players in College

- Jabari Parker

Yeah, the answer is New York. The history of the game points to the Jewish ghettos of NYC, the point guard position is defined on the blacktop courts of New York and New Jersey.

One can make an argument for the love of the game in the Carolinas, Indiana, or the Pacific Northwest. Places like Chicago, LA, or Oakland churn out prospects... but the answer is still New York, even if the Knicks are run horribly.

So back up your statement with players. I know they churned out a lot of talent in the 70s-80s like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bernard King but their current top player from the area is Ron Artest. Taj Gibson is also from the area. Stephon Marbury and Mark Jackson. I am specifically talking talent that is, was, or is going to be in the NBA. I will give NY the nod for the past but it seems the area has produced less and less players lately.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Being the Mecca isn't about producing players. It's an origins story.

To be fair, MSG is using "the mecca of basketball" as a marketing device. The city itself is not claiming the title.

Nothing against your goal in this thread, but you are confusing the historical relevance of New York basketball with the title: Most Prolific NBA Development Grounds. The history of basketball points toward basketball pre-1960. I am talking about the days of Syracuse winning tons of championships. I'm talking about Dolph Shayes and Bob Cousy playing on blacktop and high school gyms. Its a bygone era, but one worth learning about.

If your quest is the development grounds for NBA talent, you have to look towards the deep south. Many great players came from Missouri, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama... the same places great NFL talent gained prominence. Often the talent is recruited by the time they are in 7th grade to play in hoops factories. AAU has latched onto this pipeline in creating connections for many private high schools to recruit as if they were a Division I college... but I'm probably not telling you something you don't already know.

So I guess I'm not hiding my distain for corruption in youth basketball very well, am I?

AAU has latched onto this pipeline in creating connections for many private high schools to recruit as if they were a Division I college... but I'm probably not telling you something you don't already know.

So I guess I'm not hiding my distain for corruption in youth basketball very well, am I?

Like Oak Hill Academy in Virginia? I still remember Simeon and Derrick Rose beating them and making Brandon Jennings cry.

Yeah I guess the conversation I am more interested in is seeing where most of the talent is coming from now-a-days.

Jordan was born in Brooklyn.... Don't care where he grew up.. :chuckles:

this whole thread pissed me off. reminded me that i haven't seen that "doin it in the park" documentary

Article is decent. Most basketball players develop into what they are going to be in HS. That is why my criteria was to play at least 2 years of HS in that area to be able to claim you hail from there. Baltimore can claim more of Melo than NY. I am sure Kyrie considers himself more from Jersey than Australia.

And we do.

The Mecca In Decline
Why doesn't New York City produce elite NBA talent like it use to?

They sit in a Harlem church basement or a south Brooklyn deli, at an elite high school in Queens or a failing middle school on the Lower East Side, near Madison Square Garden or the Cage or the Rucker or some other calcified shrine, and they explain what their city has lost.

Once, New York was home to more basketball talent than any other city on the planet. No more. As for what changed, theories vary. An older scout says it’s all about attitude. A younger coach says they only lack muscle. Some of the NBA’s remaining New Yorkers blame the city’s emphasis on skills of dwindling value to today’s teams. Others cite greed, poverty, overcrowding, or — why not? — video games, social media, and YouTube. It’s all flailing guesswork aimed at making sense of a decline no one saw coming but everyone watched happen. And though the explanations differ, on the central point, they all agree.

New York is no longer the greatest basketball city on earth. Right now, it’s not even close.

When we talk about the decline of New York City basketball, we’re not talking about the Knicks’ interminable incompetence or the Nets’ lavish and misguided efforts to build a contender. We’re talking about the city’s footprint in the NBA: Years ago, New York’s playgrounds and high schools served as the most fertile breeding ground for the game’s elite. Today, you’re just as likely to become a star if you’re born in Los Angeles, Toronto, or Raleigh.

In the 1970s, eight different New Yorkers made All-Star teams. That was more than the states of Texas, New Jersey, Florida, and Georgia combined.1 When Julius Erving wanted to test himself, he rode the train into Manhattan from Long Island. When Wilt Chamberlain wanted to prove he stood above the best in the world, he made his way north from Philly.

Football has always belonged to the Midwest and the South, baseball to America’s suburbs. Those sports were for places with manicured lawns and summers that stretched until Halloween. “Basketball belongs to the cities,” Pete Axthelm wrote in his 1970 classic The City Game. And for decades, no city played it better than New York.

New York’s personalities have long been legion; it’s a magnet for artists and bankers, immigrants and tourists; it’s home to Donald Trump and Louis Farrakhan and all permutations in between. New York has never been inextricably associated with basketball, the way Indiana or Kentucky are. Yet that’s part of what made New York hoops so great. The city was the best at basketball simply because it was the best at everything. To be great at something, the flyover states had to give a damn. New York just had to exist.

The notion that New York produced the best basketball talent was so indisputable, so self-perpetuating, that it became one of those opinions that hardened into fact. From 1971 to 1978, a New Yorker was inducted into the Hall of Fame every year but one. They called the city the Mecca because, over the years, pilgrims arrived by the thousands. Guards from across the country trekked to New York playgrounds to study moves from the world’s best ball handlers. Basketball-loving creatives flocked to the city, making films and writing books that aimed to capture the soul of the game.

Yet by the ’80s, the city’s dominance had already begun to fade. New York produced six All-Stars in that decade,2 no more than Chicago. In the ’90s and 2000s, Bernard King and Chris Mullin retired, leaving no New York–bred Hall of Famers to replace them. It’s tricky to determine precisely who counts as a New Yorker, but for the purposes of this story, here are some rules: Long Island doesn’t count. Neither does Westchester, and definitely not Newark or any other part of New Jersey. New Yorkers come from the five boroughs — nowhere else. But beyond that, it gets complicated. Michael Jordan was born in Brooklyn but raised in North Carolina. Same goes for Carmelo Anthony and Baltimore. Despite the homecoming narrative that surrounded Melo’s signing with the Knicks, no one in the city feels much hometown pride over his career. But what about players who grow up in New York and then leave to play high school in another state? What about those who go to a prep school for their senior year? It’s tough to decide who spent enough time in the city to be considered a true New York product. For our purposes, we’ll label as a New Yorker any player who spent at least one year at a New York City high school. By that definition, there are 12 New Yorkers who played at least one NBA game this season.3 Forty years ago, there were 16. And back then, the NBA had only 17 teams.

Regardless of whom you consider a true New York product, you won’t have a hard time finding evidence to show the five boroughs’ decline. How about this: North Carolina’s Research Triangle region has produced the same number of McDonald’s All Americans in the last six years as New York. Not to mention that in the last decade, the Toronto suburb of Brampton has yielded more top-five NBA draft picks. It’s not only an issue of elite talent. According to Mode Analytics, New York state ranked 27th per capita this past season in supplying players for Division I men’s college basketball programs. If you want to play D-I ball, the raw chances of making it are better if you’re raised in Delaware or Wyoming than in New York. There are more Californians than New Yorkers in the ACC right now, and more Indianans in the Big East.

We can keep going. Not a single New Yorker was taken in the first round of June’s NBA draft. And before last season, the Student Sports high school basketball poll had only one New York team (Brooklyn’s Abraham Lincoln) in its top 25. The same poll had two top-25 teams from Jacksonville.

But cities are judged by their stars. Los Angeles has Russell Westbrook and Paul Pierce; Chicago has Derrick Rose and Dwyane Wade. “Let’s think about this for a minute,” says Macky Bergman, a New York native who runs a youth basketball program in lower Manhattan. “Who’s the best player to come out of New York in the last 25 years? I mean, you’ve got Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Joakim Noah. The fact that we’re even talking about those guys lets you know it’s a problem.”

If there’s any type of player the city has been known for producing over the last 25 years, it would probably be the overhyped, catastrophic bust. Lloyd Daniels went from being compared to Magic Johnson to being caught in a Las Vegas crack house to being shot and nearly killed back home in Queens in 1989 — and he still had enough talent to somehow scrap his way into the NBA. In 1993, Felipe Lopez wasn’t just an All-American — he was the subject of a 10,000-word profile in The New Yorker. A decade later, his career ended when Lopez couldn’t find a spot at the end of an NBA bench. In 2000, Andre Barrett, Taliek Brown, and Omar Cook were all McDonald’s All Americans, representing the supposed renaissance of the New York City point guard. Altogether, the “Holy Trinity,” as they were known in high school, went on to score 256 total points in the NBA.

A couple years later, Lenny Cooke tumbled from his perch as the top-ranked high school player in the nation all the way out of the NBA draft; he’s now one of the great cautionary tales of the NBA’s prep-to-pro era. Next came Sebastian Telfair, who shared the cover of Slam with LeBron James in 2002, when both were still in high school; as a senior, Telfair landed solo on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Now 29, he spent last season playing in China and recently signed a deal to be a backup point guard for the Oklahoma City Thunder. And if it weren’t for Lance Stephenson’s recent emergence as a nearly All-Star-caliber player on the Indiana Pacers over the past two seasons, the Coney Island native would likely occupy a spot on his city’s roster of underachievers who never quite made it.

Which brings us back to Bergman’s question. Who’s the best New York product of the last 25 years? “If you really think about [it],” he says, “the best one is probably Stephon Marbury. Stephon Marbury! I mean, good player and everything — even better than people give him credit for — but really? That’s the best we can do? And we’re supposed to be OK with that?”

So this is what we’re left with. The home to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bob Cousy, the largest city in the most talent-rich country in the world, is now hanging its hat on the second-leading scorer for the Beijing Ducks.4

How did this happen? The answer depends on whom you ask.

Pretty interesting read. Super long article , Read the rest here http://grantland.com/features/nyc-b...on-marbury-kenny-anderson-tom-konchalski-nba/

From not good enough gyms, winter, and lack of weights. NY has a lot of excuses

You know the real reason why New York City is considered the "mecca of basketball"? Because the people who historically have called it that have been members of the sports media. And for a significant period of time in this country (especially when basketball started to grow in national popularity), the major media outlets were based in New York City. So that's the area that got most of the coverage and hype. It was simply that the major media was there to document, spotlight, and broadcast what was going on. So it appeared, for a while at least, that New York was the center of the basketball universe - and perhaps for a time it was..

But look at the real history of the game. The first truly organized game was played in upstate New York in Albany. And from there the game quickly spread... to the Midwest. The first organized leagues were formed in Pittsburgh, Chicago, Kansas, Kentucky, and Minnesota. Only later did leagues form in and around some of the Ivy League campuses back East.

It wasn't until the National Invitation Tournament started in the late '30s that New York City became a legitimate part of basketball's history. And it was the success of that tournament right in the heart of the media's backyard that would be the springboard for what basketball has become today - a truly global game.

Now we live in the information age where location doesn't matter... where players from literally everywhere are well-documented, spotlighted, and glorified. The great sports writers and reporters are no longer clustered in and around the New York City metro area, so the "New York bias" has been significantly diluted. The NIT is no longer the end-all be-all of basketball tournaments; it's an afterthought really.

New York City, once the center stage of basketball greatness, has become nothing more than one of many locations where people love and play the game of basketball.

The Mecca of Basketball? To me it will always be Springfield, Massachusetts since (like Mecca and Muhammad) that's where the game was born.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."