• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Official True Detective Scene

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DawgOnKing

Confused Spouse/Parent
Reaction score
Just watched ep3 - flawless TV.

As mentioned in other thread, Harrelson/MMc are an absolutely perfect pair and their respective character's relationship is fantastic even without the main plot line.

The final 2 minutes last night was the best of the first 3 episodes. Cohle's monologue leading up to the final image was epic. The way he talked about each victim's eyes welcoming the serenity of death in their final moments, even though that final moment would end like many "nightmares", with a monster.

FUCKING AWESOME TV! BRAVO AGAIN HBO!

Was considering opening a thread until I saw this. Thanks.

Here's my theory (aligned with what many are thinking on various blogs/websites right now):

Marty and Rust are the same person - Rust being a figment of Marty's imagination. During last week's episode in the final scene, Rust spews about "Dreaming about being a person." And "A dream inside a locked room [as he taps on his head]." "All of your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain. It was all the same dream." About being a person... Hmmm...

Still don't know what to think of this show, but it's on my DVR.

Interesting theory on him not being real or being a figment. Not sure that's what I see out of it, but interesting still.

I was thinking Mcm's character was the killer and doing it while in a psychosis

That's a neat idea, but I honestly hope that's not the route they go because I think it has been done too many times before at this point.

I'm kind of wondering where this goes myself and, quite honestly, I hadn't considered the theory above before...

I hope that's not the route they go. While it'd be an interesting look at the character development, I'm looking for more than that..

The only reason I didn't thank the initial post is because I'm not sure I see a direction yet. As much as I want to be enthralled, I am waiting for a moment where things speed up. Honestly, I'm having flashbacks of 'John From Cincinnati'.. I liked the premise and huge curtain that needed to be pulled back, but I was and am unsure of whether or not we'll ever break the current setting (i.e. flashbacks from interviews).

The idea of them being the same person makes too much sense to ignore.

Seems as though Rust is the reality checkpoint of Marty's traditional beliefs on religion, marriage, love.

Marty's marriage problems summed up by Rust's rant about "men aren't capable of love because the inadequacies of reality start to sink in" (paraphrasing). Their differences on religion during (Eli from Boardwalk Empire's) tent revival sermon.

All seems to be a battle of pragmatic vs. traditional beliefs within the same person.

I'm kind of wondering where this goes myself and, quite honestly, I hadn't considered the theory above before...

I hope that's not the route they go. While it'd be an interesting look at the character development, I'm looking for more than that..

The only reason I didn't thank the initial post is because I'm not sure I see a direction yet. As much as I want to be enthralled, I am waiting for a moment where things speed up. Honestly, I'm having flashbacks of 'John From Cincinnati'.. I liked the premise and huge curtain that needed to be pulled back, but I was and am unsure of whether or not we'll ever break the current setting (i.e. flashbacks from interviews).

I can tell you (IMO) we most certainly will break from the interview setting, but I'd be surprised if they begin revealing the true goings-on before the final few episodes - and it's not like I'm getting bored with where they are currently taking us. I'm enthralled with the flashbacks and I'm racking my brain trying to come up with various theories.

And despite posting the above theory, I'm not totally sold on it - at all. Good psychological writing can lead you down many paths and you can end at multiple conclusions. That above theory is just one of many possibilities and they may be intentionally steering you down the wrong path before throwing that massive curveball.

It will be interesting to see where we end up.

The idea of them being the same person makes too much sense to ignore.

While I agree, let me offer the devil's advocate POV that Rust is a real person and is, in fact, the killer:

While Rust was sifting through those hundreds of case files/photos of deceased, was he looking for a big break in the case or an alibi? Now the idea of Rust being the killer seems way too easy. It also makes too much sense to ignore much like the theory about split personalities.

Both theories in the end could be intentional misdirection by the writers... Or this could just be a predictable ending. It's hard to tell after three episodes.

While I agree, let me offer the devil's advocate POV that Rust is a real person and is, in fact, the killer:

While Rust was sifting through those hundreds of case files/photos of deceased, was he looking for a big break in the case or an alibi? Now the idea of Rust being the killer seems way too easy. It also makes too much sense to ignore much like the theory about split personalities.

Both theories in the end could be intentional misdirection by the writers... Or this could just be a predictable ending. It's hard to tell after three episodes.

Rust being the killer would be disappointing and way too obvious for a show like this. They've already hinted at it way too many times for that to be the case. Also, that final scene about the peace and serenity of the dead's eyes was very similar to the notion in Martyrs (French horror film). Have a feeling the writer might have drawn inspiration from there.

To have it be that small-circled of a show would be a disservice to the writers.

On a side note, if Rust and Martin are the same person, does that mean the two detectives interviewing them (him) know that he's a schizo? Martin talks about Rust like he's a different person quite often, which would mean that they both recognize that Martin has a mental issue... (example: how Martin talks about Rust being good in the "box").

I mean if they are the same person I don't know how you get around the double-date scene and the dinner scene and all the scenes where they are together with other people around. UNless we are saying all of those scenes are imagined? Yea, don't think it's gonna go down that road.

Mathew McConaughey's dialogue in this show is amazing. Great performance by him.

[video=youtube;sOGoX1B6_2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOGoX1B6_2k[/video]

The final scene is a lot more complex when viewed a couple of times.

Specifically:

- At the 1:17 mark the second detective wants to say/point out something but is stopped.
- What he's referring to in regards to the relief of death is that you can let go from the illusion that there's a purpose to life. Essentially, that there's a God.
- He says everything in life is a dream inside a locked room. A dream about "being a person". Again, seems like a reference to having a soul.
- And then like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it.

Again, a powerful scene and ending to the episode.

The culmination of the season finale and season premier of GoT is already marked on the calendar.

I thought he was about to interject because he opened that file that he was probably not supposed to look at?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."