1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

The worst team in the league

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by KI4MVP, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

How did it happen? Just a week ago we were 7-9 and could point to 2 or 3 other games that we could have won had we been healthy. We were playing like a 2nd tier playoff team. Grit and determination were words used to describe us.

Now 8 nights and 5 games later (3 against 3 of the worst teams in the league), we're the worst team in the league. At least I suspect that is what this computer model will show after updating for tonight's game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings/_/page/2

Looking at our schedule, we may not win another game before christmas.

vs Bulls
    @ Houston
    @ Thunder
    @ Heat
    @ Pacers
    vs Knicks
    vs Jazz
    @ Hawks

Where is the team that beat Boston, or the team that swept a 3 game road trip with opponents on the same level as the last 3?

We don't run the offense, we don't play defense. Heading into tonight's game, we sank to 29th in the league offensively and 22nd in the league defensively. We have the worst point differential in the league, a full point worse than the 2nd worse team.

Yet in the pitiful east, we are just 1 game out of the 8th seed. What happened and can it be fixed?

2. We want Mbenga

We want Mbenga Rookie

We can beat the Rockets. That looks like the only winnable game out there.

3. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

^^ It looks like that will be Yao's first game back.

4. Akron330

Akron330 Rookie FA

I dont know if we are the worst team in the league but we are def in the conversation. I wish I knew what happened to the team that we had on opening night. These guys just dont seem to care

5. PIP

PIP Orange and Blue Staff Member

It's all ours...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. gregdawg

gregdawg Situational Stopper

Byron Scott simply has nothing to work with. these players are terrible. none of our forwards or big men can score...AT ALL. our only good players are our small guards...the result of this is an inability to get into the paint and challenge the defense. when your only good players are under 6'2", you will struggle to score.

not to mention we have a lot of players who are old or just plain slow....this makes it easy for opponents to beat us off the dribbling and get into the paint. and then once they get into the paint, we have no enforcer to defend the rim...Andy can move his feel and get in front of people but he can't contest shots at the rim at all...he's not a shot-blocker type defender.

so, there's really nothing Byron Scott can do...we have bad players...even Phil Jackson couldn't coach this roster to over 25 wins. you have to have talent before you can even begin to worry about strategy and effort.

the players on this team were extremely overrated during the Lebron era. People forgot how many games Lebron won on his own by going into beast mode in the second half and barely pulling out the win by himself. last season the cavs won a lot of games...but people forget - the cavs weren't dominating teams...they were pulling out a lot of close games because Lebron decided to take over. the roster was almost as bad last year...Lebron was just that good. say what you will about him as a person...but he carried this carcass of a team on his back and won a lot of games on his own.

Lebron could get into the paint at will...when you have a guy who can do that it leads to WIDE OPEN shots for everyone. this team doesn't have any players who can effectively get into the paint...if you don't have any players who can get into the paint, you will not score...period. because the other team can just play you straight up one on one and you will never get open shots.

7. Silky Smooth

Silky Smooth All-Star

1st pick in the NBA draft here we come. Honestly that gets me excited.

• Like Like x 15
  8. MJLJ

MJLJ Rookie

The 8th seed does look pretty hopeless for now. It gets a lot better after that though. Cleveland is 4 games behind the 7th seed, for instance.

The Miami game clearly deflated them a lot. Especially the fan-reaction that followed. The one thing this team had was the city and owner's back, and both turned on them after last Thursday's debacle. So they don't even have anyone to play hard for anymore. Aside from that, nothing's really changed. They were struggling as it is but could squeak by BAD teams IF they played really hard. With the effort now gone, they're just relegated to being a team w/ no talent. No talent + no effort = UGLY.

9. MYoung23

MYoung23 12 Reasons to Post

08-09 Cavaliers had the largest margin of victory in the NBA. That wasn't James "pulling out wins by himself"

Stop with the revisionist history BS.

This team as bad as they are has quit.

• Like Like x 27
  10. gregdawg

I said last year...not 08-09

see in bold below.

11. Czvosec

Czvosec All-Star

The Cavaliers were 2nd in the league in point differential last season (and were first until the last week when they decided to sit pretty much everyone). The year before, they were well ahead of everyone in point differential with a +8.9. Let's not rewrite history because this team NOW isn't very good. The Cavaliers were blowing people out on a regular basis the last two years.

The players on this team aren't great, but it's also not the same team that we watched play the last 2 years.

(Edit: Just saw MYoung's post saying same thing)

• Like Like x 1
  12. MYoung23

MYoung23 12 Reasons to Post

Last year they cruised for three quarters and clamped down on teams in the 4th. Last year was about arrogance not talent.

• Like Like x 4
  13. MJLJ

MJLJ Rookie

Last season as in 09-10?!? WOW, I remember pretty much every game going down to the wire last season.

14. jim jim

jim jim Towel Waver

All I can say is I want my money back. This team is a disgrace. They should all be sent down to the D-league, especially the starters. Our bench is the only unit doing anything. And to make it all worse, while they score, they just don't play D or rebound. You can't beat anyone when you give them that many easy buckets and second chance points. I honestly hope we trade everyone at the trade deadline.

15. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

Or even the same team we saw the first could of weeks of the season.

16. jnizzle

jnizzle In the Rotation

Worst team in the league? Our 3's are Jawad Williams and Jamario Moon. We will be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  17. gregdawg

I know...i remember the cavs barely winning like 60-70 percent of their games last year (meaning playing close and then pulling out the win in the fourth quarter)...even if that stat is true, it doesn't tell the whole story.

you can have a high point differential by blowing out a few teams and playing close games against the rest. the cavs may have blown out the bad teams, but against mid-range and good teams the cavs struggled....i'm not revising history...others are remembering it wrong.

anyway...my point is that most of the players on this team need to be set up in order to score....they are catch and shoot players...but now there's no one to set them up. these guys are being expected to move the ball and dribble, but they're only capable of "catching and shooting."

• Like Like x 1
  18. MJLJ

MJLJ Rookie

The quality of the opposition didn't matter from what I remember. EVERY team played Cleveland close last season.

19. DougHeil

DougHeil The LeFraud Interaction

The team that did win 7 games is still on the roster. The team that DID beat Boston is still on the roster. The team that has played real well at the start of the season is still on the roster. This isn't a case of really bad players, but a case of really average players who USE TO play as a real team and USE TO play REAL HARD, suddenly NOT caring at all. This current team has indeed quit.

Like I have asked prior, when does this become a coaching problem? It's definitely a defeatist and attitude problem so how much can this new team's problems be attributed to coaching?

20. Czvosec

Czvosec All-Star

32 of the team's 61 wins last season were by double digits.

13 of the remaining 29 came by at least 7 points.

That means the Cavs only had 16 wins decided by 6 or fewer points.

Maybe they weren't blowouts in the sense that the team was up 20+ the whole game, but it's not like every game was coming down to the last shot.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.