1. RCF Will Be In Flux For a few. I'm going as fast as I can correcting issues. We should be good to go by Monday. Sorry you have to deal with this bland board until then.

This survey cannot be serious

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JDeezy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. JDeezy

JDeezy Well-Known Member

This must be a hoax. Maybe everyone is in on the joke but me. The results of this survey frighten me.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/28/one-third-americans-believe-in-ufos-survey-says/

36% (!) of respondents believe in ET UFOs. 48% aren't sure (WTF?). Only 17% don't believe in ET visiting earth and flying around. 77% of those polled believe their are signs ET has visited.

It has to, HAS to be some ridiculously unscientific poll of just UFO-TV viewers. I can't actually find this poll they're talking about.

My god... what if this poll is accurate? I'm surrounded by hundreds of millions of delusional idiots!

December 21st can't come soon enough...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

My guess is they are not polling OU students but residence of Athens and Vinton counties. Some of the dumbest people you will find in America.

I don't think there is evidence to prove Aliens have been to earth but I'd bet somewhere in the infinite realm of space, there is some form of life, intelligent or non-intelligent.

5 people like this.
  3. Lord Mar

Lord Mar Master

If there is evidence of extraterrestrial life on Earth, you can be damn sure the Government is hiding it from you.

As far as extraterrestrial life elsewhere, you can bet your ass there is. Believing anything else is rather short-sighted.

11 people like this.
  4. southernflyer

southernflyer Well-Known Member

I think a person who believes in Buddha, Allah, Gaia or Jesus would have to at least be open to the possibility of UFOs. That would be a majority of the population.

Do I "believe" there are UFOs, no. Do I think there is a possibility, sure. From a religious or scientific standpoint, if there are billions of planet or stars in the universe, the probability of us being the only life form is amazingly small. If there is a God or lifeforce who created us and/or the Earth, who are we to say we are the only ones created?

5 people like this.
  5. NtG

NtG El Campeón

How do you know that you're not the delusional idiot?

2 people like this.
  6. Lord Mar

Lord Mar Master

According to Dan Akroyd, aliens already live amongst us, possibly disguised as humans :chuckles:

7. JDeezy

JDeezy Well-Known Member

Nowhere have I mentioned the impossibility or improbability of extra-terrestrial life in the vastness of time and space, only the absurdity of alien abduction stories and UFO accounts.

2 people like this.
  8. Lord Mar

Lord Mar Master

So Theo....according to yourself, there may or may not be aliens.......but shoving anal probes up our asses is uncivilized of alien creatures...correct?

1 person likes this.
  9. caf

caf Banņed

Just a little bit of talking points and food for thought

I would bet my life savings on there being extra terrestrial life in the universe. It is almost an impossibility for there not to be. The question is, what type of lifeform is it? Is it biological? Is it self aware? Is it just a bacteria of some sort? Who knows.

Now the question posed here assumes some type of sentient life that has visited Earth in the recent past. I would bet my life savings against it. Let me give you guys a good mental experiment on just how difficult it would be to locate life on Earth. Go to a beach and paint one grain of sand orange. Bury it and leave. Find Earth would be harder than a friend finding that orange grain of sand.

And that is just referencing the spatial improbability. There is also the temporal improbability. The universe is extremely old, and we are extremely young. Our presence has been but a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things. So now take that orange grain of sand, and have your friend try and find it. However, this time the grain of sand is only orange for less than one second during the course of the day. Pretty difficult proposition isn't it?

16 people like this.
  10. Chardon

Chardon Hall of Farmer

UFO doesn't mean aliens. It's Unidentified Flying Object.

1 person likes this.
  11. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

caf, I think along the same lines in terms of what kind of life is out there. Some type of bacteria seems very, very likely to me. And technically it would be an "alien."

Shut the fuck up, goddamnit.

7 people like this.
  12. Chardon

Chardon Hall of Farmer

Don't get short with me.

4 people like this.
  13. Soda

Soda Bania'd

I hope UFOs are actually time travel vessels from the future... By that time, I hope we've figured out at least how to teleport. I'm trying to see the world before I die.

1 person likes this.
  14. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

It's reasonable to think that there is life in some small percentage of planets in the universe.

It's also reasonable to think that some small percentage of those planets have civilizations more advanced than we are. Perhaps by billions of years (the universe is about 9 billion years older than earth).

We have actually now sent a ship outside of our solar system (voyager 1) as well as multiple ships that have landed on other planets. if we don't destroy ourselves, how far will ships originating from earth be able to travel a thousand years from now? Or a million years from now? How about a billion years from now? Over the next billion years, isn't it reasonable to think ships from earth will visit other planets where there is life?

How can you be so certain that we haven't been visited by any civilization that is vastly more technologically advanced than we are. All it takes is one time for the 17% to be wrong.

4 people like this.
  15. Ayatolla of Slamola

Ayatolla of Slamola Rim Rockin'

"Gosh, that Italian family at the next table sure is quiet"

4 people like this.
  16. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

imagine just one civilization in the milky way that is 1 billion years ahead of us. That's a billion years to catalog every star and planet in the milky way (200 billion or so), find the ones with evidence of life (i.e. search for evidence of atmospheric oxygen, which is caused by life and which earth has had for 3 billion years - considerably longer than the blink of an eye), and then send probes to those planets.

17. MalTalm

MalTalm Formerly known as Talm

[video=youtube;_w5JqQLqqTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w5JqQLqqTc[/video]

6 people like this.
  18. Chris

Chris So we come to it at last

If there is alien bacteria on some distant world, I'm willing to bet there is more evolved extraterrestrials somewhere, too.

19. caf

caf Banņed

I see your point, but you are making a lot of assumptions. The odds are that life exists elsewhere is high, but it is still a small percentage based on the vastness of the universe. The odds that this life is sentient is much much much smaller. Which I agree with. The part I don't agree with is you assuming other sentient life exists in the milky way. You're basically starting your search right next to my orange grain of sand and ignoring the rest of the beach (the vastness of space) based on your starting location.

There are other logistics that come into play also, for instance, why does a oxygen atmosphere dictate life? Just because our atmosphere contains oxygen? We adapted to our environment. The sun radiates high amounts of visible light. Life could have formed in a region with low levels of visible light and instead 'sees' in the UV spectrum. A human hears in the 20hz-48khz range. We adapted. Whats to say that life was originated in a much different environment?

Just because we were generated in this environment doesn't mean life can't exists in a different one. Therefore monitoring for signs of our life is a much different proposition from monitoring for signs of life itself.

2 people like this.
  20. DaNewCavs

DaNewCavs Well-Known Member

I agree with you for the most part. But you have to remember that you are basis some of this theory that the other life forms are technologically and physiologically similar. They may be 10000 times more advanced than us. Look at how much we've learned about the universe in just the past 100 years? Take that knowledge that we've learned and multiply it over the course of hundreds of thousands of years or even millions of years and you can theoretically think it's possible that another life form far advanced then us can know and are capable of doing much more than us.

Your grain of sand analogy works in concept, but let's say instead of a grain of sand you are looking for a dime on a beach. It is pretty unlikely you will find that dime if you are looking with your eyes and digging with your hands. But what if you have a metal detector? Still less likely, but your odds improve greatly. What if you have a super magnet? You are more likely to find that dime. We're still digging with our hands while advanced life forms may have 100 super magnets.

2 people like this.