• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Thunder miss playoffs

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Douglar

Intentionally Grounded
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see...

They get to keep their draft pick
Westbrook wins the scoring title
They have Waiters for another year

Is this good or bad news for keeping Durant in 2016?

I think he gives them a free pass for this year. I think with him back and presti's drafting abiltiy they have a shot to come back really good. I think brooks needs to inject some brains into his coaching staff as with kanter and maybe waiters they should aim to have less iso in their sets. They have the talent to win but i think he is the limiting factor

Missing the playoffs due to injuries probably gives Brook a bit more time than if they had ended up getting kicked out against GSW or the Spurs. You have to wonder when they realize they aren't going to cut it with him at the helm.

If KD was healthy, they could have given GSW a real run for their money. But since he isn't, doesn't matter anyway and probably just better off they didn't make it in.

They really need to fire Scott Brooks and hire a real coach.

Really, though, it all comes back to that Harden trade. How must Durant feel watching Harden win the MVP playing for another team because Oklahoma City was too cheap to pay him an extra one to two million a year?

It is not Brooks fault this season. Westbrook, Ibaka and Durant (the core of the team), including Adams, missed a chunk of games. Durant is also really close to Brooks as well.

Its not his fault, but he's still a bad coach. He should be let go.

It is not Brooks fault this season. Westbrook, Ibaka and Durant (the core of the team), including Adams, missed a chunk of games. Durant is also really close to Brooks as well.

I agree that it's hard to blame Brooks for missing the playoffs when his best player barely played this year, but at the same time, he should have been fired a year or two ago. He's just not a very good coach. He's like Mike Brown: a good defensive coach but a woefully inept offensive coach. He's been able to hide his flaws behind his teams' records because he has one of the best players in the league on his roster and another guy who is shoving his way into that conversation. He's just not a guy I see coaching a team to a title, though.

You could pair OKC up against any of the top seven teams in the West and Brooks would be the worse of the two coaches.

After the start they had(3-12) the fact they were even competing for a playoff spot was amazing. They started 17 guys this season.they also traded 9 guys collectively throughout the season.
Mitch Mcgary showed some promise as did Adams and to a point Kanter.

Morrow also turned in one of his best seasons offensively.

If anything OKC should be upbeat about next season with the prospects of a healthy DUrant, ibaka and Westbrook
Their projected starting lineup of Durant, Westbrook,Ibaka, Roberson and Adams only started 23 games as a group.
okc is primed to have a bounceback season similiar to the Spurs did with David Robinson

After the start they had(3-12) the fact they were even competing for a playoff spot was amazing. They started 17 guys this season.they also traded 9 guys collectively throughout the season.
Mitch Mcgary showed some promise as did Adams and to a point Kanter.

Morrow also turned in one of his best seasons offensively.

If anything OKC should be upbeat about next season with the prospects of a healthy DUrant, ibaka and Westbrook
Their projected starting lineup of Durant, Westbrook,Ibaka, Roberson and Adams only started 23 games as a group.
okc is primed to have a bounceback season similiar to the Spurs did with David Robinson

And to a point Kanter? He easily showed the most promise in that system. His last 30 was a line of 21ppg, 11reb, 58%fg, 80%ft. He's an offensive force and KD's game is only going to become easier which is scary.

Just had to debate that little piece because you made it sound like Kanter was so-so. I thought he was their 2nd best option, sometimes 1st if the matchup was right.

And to a point Kanter? He easily showed the most promise in that system. His last 30 was a line of 21ppg, 11reb, 58%fg, 80%ft. He's an offensive force and KD's game is only going to become easier which is scary.

Just had to debate that little piece because you made it sound like Kanter was so-so. I thought he was their 2nd best option, sometimes 1st if the matchup was right.
Did Kanter show promise or did he show he could live up to the promise he has already shown. I was looking at the one and 2 year guys and threw Kanter in there because he revived himself from what he was doing in Utah.

Showing promise is the potential to be good whereas Kanter has already established his skills and shown some improvement which is why i said to a point kanters because he is in that stage of his career where centers Mature.

I really didnt think Kanter fell in the "shows" promise category but he improved enough to be mentioned with the rookie and 2nd year guy.

debate all you want I think Kanter realized some his promise he already shown but he is still looking at a platoon situation if retained with Ibaka and Adams who provide better defense

Without any major additions they are looking at this as their rotation next season. Throw a late lotto pick and it looks even stronger.

Westbrook/Augustin
Waiters/Morrow
Durant/Roberson
Ibaka/Adams
Kanter/McGary

Call me crazy, but if they avoid injuries, that team can absolutely compete for the No. 1 seed in the West and possibly for the NBA title. And this is coming from someone who has a severe disliking for Dion Waiters.

Without any major additions they are looking at this as their rotation next season. Throw a late lotto pick and it looks even stronger.

Westbrook/Augustin
Waiters/Morrow
Durant/Roberson
Ibaka/Adams
Kanter/McGary

Call me crazy, but if they avoid injuries, that team can absolutely compete for the No. 1 seed in the West and possibly for the NBA title. And this is coming from someone who has a severe disliking for Dion Waiters.
Admas would start at center because he is a better defensive player. Kanter can come in for either Ibaka or Adams. Morrow and Kanter along with McGary will be one of the deepest benches in the league.

If they can keep Kanter that is

Admas would start at center because he is a better defensive player. Kanter can come in for either Ibaka or Adams. Morrow and Kanter along with McGary will be one of the deepest benches in the league.

If they can keep Kanter that is

I was under the impression that the whole idea behind OKC trading for Kanter was because they felt like Ibaka was one of the few guys that could cover Kanter's defensive weaknesses.

Unfortunately Kanter/Ibaka only played 9 games together this year.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."