• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tony Stewart runs over and kills other driver who was trying to confront him

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

billmac91

NBA Starter
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...hree-time-nascar-champion-tony-stewart-081014

The Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff's Department confirmed to FOXSports.com late Saturday night that it is investigating an incident that occured during a dirt-track race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, reportedly involving three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart and another driver.
According to multiple unconfirmed reports, Stewart was involved in an on-track incident with 17-year-old driver Kevin Ward Jr., with Stewart's car allegedly striking Ward after he got out of his car to confront Stewart about earlier contact between the two.
Tyler Graves, a sprint-car racer and friend of Ward's, told Sporting News in a phone interview that he was sitting in the Turn 1 grandstands and saw everything.
"Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing," Graves said. "The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.
"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."
Graves said he didn't believe it was intentional.
"You never mean to do something like that," Graves told Sporting News. "Kevin was pissed and he let Tony know. And Tony was trying to give the message back that he wasn't happy either. He went over the line with it."
Police would confirm only that they are investigating an undisclosed incident that took place at approximately 10 p.m. during a sprint-car race at the half-mile dirt track north of Syracuse.

FOX Sports 1 spoke with the head nursing supervisor at Thompson Health in Canandaigua, who could not confirm the identity, but did confirm that they have someone at the hospital who was said to be a racecar driver with injuries sustained at Canandaigua Motorsports Park.
The supervising nurse, Barbara Manning, confirmed that the individual sustained serious injuries and that the condition was not determined at this time. Also, out of respect for the family, she could not confirm that it was Ward.

Twitter-verse is saying Ward has died but not confirmed officially yet. If Ward dies, hard to believe Stewart would not be charged with murder.

Re: Tony Stewart may be charged with murder...

Oh my God...

Here is the video if anyone cares to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJdBd0437U

It will be somewhat difficult to prove he did it intentionally unless there are some better angles. Very unfortunate though.

That is so f***ed.

Wow. He should be charged. I think it's pretty clear that he went out of his way to swerve his car in to him. The kid was a moron for running out onto the track like that though.

From what I can see, Tony swerved right into him then straightened himself out. It looks purposely done and Tony's temper got the best of him and he can be portrayed as a murderer. He could of avoided him. There was a cam inside his car, I'm sure it will be investigated.

At first glance:

1.) The driver shouldn't have come that far down the track to yell at Stewart- he could have accidentally been hit by someone.
2.) Stewart's car was going MUCH faster and MUCH closer to him than anyone else when he hit him.

Terrible all around. So sad.

Almost no chance they'll charge him with murder.

That is absolutely crazy video though.

Almost no chance they'll charge him with murder.

That is absolutely crazy video though.

Sounds correct at this point in time. Sheriff stated it is only being investigated as an "on track incident" at this time. In the same breath he did say all investigation materials have been handed over to the DA for review so maybe something happens there.

I was shocked to hear NASCAR is allowing him to race today. Seems it'd be est for all involved for him to take some time off. Dude looks like he just had the most visible case if road rage ever.

Maybe more like manslaughter, but I'm not sure.. I think he should be charged for something. Looked pretty intentional, if you ask me.

Either way, WTF is that kid doing on a mud track trotting around like a lunatic? You're risking the worst by getting out of that vehicle...

But doesn't the report say the right-rear tire kicks out and goes "sideways?" I know Stewart probably intended to scare or even clip the guy, but I doubt he intentionally killed him. I agree with Boobie, there is no case for murder here. Involuntary manslaughter / Negligent homicide? Maybe.... Depends on the state though.

And the only reason I think that's possible is because even if he didn't see the guy there; he should have been able to....

those cars pull when they accerlate. tony could of been trying to get away from the guy. who knows. its a pretty sad event although the i dont think the sensationalist headline on the thread is needed.

To me it also appears that the car directly in front of Tony Stewart almost hits the kid as well and has to swerve to avoid him.

I wish that kid made a better decision after the fact. I feel so bad, and if I feel this bad as a person, how the hell can Tony have the collected mind to participate in todays NASCAR race?

And for the record, I never once liked Tony as a NASCAR driver. Too much of an ass.

Edit: Tony will now not race today

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."