1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Tracking the 2013 Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by Douglar, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

Here's a graph to help you guys track the Cavs draft spots for 2013.

I'll update things about once a week during the season.

10/29 I started with the Hollinger guesstimates. Kings at #7(*), the Cavs at #9, the Lakers at #26, and Orlando at #32.
    11/5 I'll use the Stein rankings this week. Kings #3, Cavs #5, Lakers #15, and Orlando #41

[​IMG]

(*) The Cavs won't get the Kings pick unless it is 14th or worse.

• Like Like x 59
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. tn819

tn819 Situational Stopper

When we made the Sessions trade last year, it seemed the Lakers were poised for stagnation and their pick might not be a complete throwaway next year. Now the choice between Heat/Lakers seems like it will be negligible. Damn big market teams!

3. Jack Brickman

Jack Brickman Preview Team

Obviously preseason isn't a good indicator, but the Lakers were getting absolutely destroyed and lost all their games. There's a chance they could take a month or two to properly mesh, which would be great for us and our option to swap picks. They're also a team that basically has four stars, one or two role players, and a whole lot of garbage, so an injury could really tank their season as well.

4. Layne Staley

Layne Staley In the Rotation

I completely forgot we have Orlando's second round pick this year!

Seeing how they will no doubt be one of the top 5 worse teams, this is a great asset to have.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jack Brickman

I loved that trade at the time Grant made it because it was pretty obvious Howard was going to be gone and their team was going to be in the toilet. Don't we have their second rounder in 2014 or 2015 too?

6. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

No point in following the Kings pick unless they show massive improvement.

7. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

9th pick would suck dick.

Here's to title contention or top 5 pick.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MirORich

MirORich All-Star

Getting the pick we got from the Lakers in this past draft plus the swap option w the Lakers and Heat pick this year is still great for Ramon Sessions. Not as exciting as before the Lakers got Nash and Howard but ultimately we will still most likely have 3 picks in the top 33 w a very outside shot at the Kings pick.

I think the Kings will actually take a step and surprise this year, but not enough to get us the pick in this coming draft.

9. MirORich

MirORich All-Star

Obviously, the higher draft pick we get the better, as I believe we need one more shot to draft a premium player but as far as the #9 pick being a waste Tracy McGrady, Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion, Amare, Andre Iguodala, Joachim Noah, DeMar DeRozan, and the much heralded on these boards Andre Drummond all were #9 picks in the past 15 years. Thats over a 50% hit rate of above average to impact players.

10. Daniel89

Daniel89 In the Rotation

11. Chris

I'd rather take the much higher chance/safer route of having a top 5 or 3 pick, but that's just me.

12. MirORich

MirORich All-Star

I get your point, have an earlier selection to identify the guy you want is ideal, but strangely, and perhaps randomly, in the last 15 years, the hit rate on #9 draft picks is just as goof if not better than the hit rate on #5 picks.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/history-of-the-nba-draft-pick-number-5/

http://www.hoopsworld.com/history-of-the-nba-draft-pick-number-9/

13. Jack Brickman

Knew it was one of them but I was too lazy to look it up. Still, both of those should be in the 30-35 range, which makes them actually worth something.

14. Chris

I was actually kind of hoping we'd land the 4th or 5th spot (realistic IMO) but get a nice lotto vault into the top 3 but....can't have everything, I know.

15. CLEfan330

CLEfan330 Situational Stopper

Let's Go Kings! Let's Go Kings! "One For All and Your #1 to Us"

16. "Boobie" Gibson

"Boobie" Gibson In the Rotation

Great post. I was actually about to ask for someone to do this, but I wasn't sure where to ask for it. Thank you, Douglar.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Douglar

The ultimate irony here is that Orlando waived Justin Harper over the weekend. Now they have to give up two low 30's picks and they have nothing to show for it.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Soda

Soda Bania'd

I remember this board in upheaval when Grant traded that pick. If I'm not mistaken, this board wanted, so badly, to have Tyler Honeycutt... Nobody drafted below Harper turned into much thus far. I'd rather have the picks now than then. Great call by Grant.

Go KINGS!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jack Brickman

I wasn't on these boards at that time, but generally I don't care when second round picks are traded. I was fine when we used our two second rounders to move up this year, although I have to admit I was less than enthused about the Zeller pick at the time. I've since come around to it because he obviously fits really well next to Thompson, and I'm fine with drafting for fit outside of the lottery, but it remains to be seen how good an NBA player he'll be.

20. Douglar

I was irked that they traded the 2011 #32 pick instead of drafting Leuer. Hard to hold a grudge there, since Leuer ended up on the roster anyway.

Message boards have a long history of draft gripes. Most look pretty silly in hindsight. The noise about CDR and Dee Brown just wouldn't stop back in the day.

The only "vocal draft gripers" since the Luke Jackson pick who have been vindicated were the crew that wanted Dejaun Blair over Eyenga. Maybe the people that wanted Koufos or Arthur instead of Hickson had a legit gripe, but 1) it sure didn't look that way in the 09-10 season, and 2) Batum, Hill, & Ibaka were probably the best choices and nobody was pimping them in June 2008.

In the mean time, the woulda-coulda-shoulda Valanciunas/Drummond debates will go on for a while, but like JJ Hickson, the guy that does the best in his first & second year could easily end up looking worse down the road. I don't think we'll really get to the end of those debates until Drummond hits his 25th birthday.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.