1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Trade exceptions explained

Discussion in 'Trades, Free Agency, & the Draft' started by Maximus, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Maximus

Maximus BANNED Staff Member

The Cavs have a very large trade exception from the Lebron trade. With trade season heating up, I thought this article would be helpful in explaining why they got it, and what they can do with it.
    Just my opinion, but I think Gilbert will use some, if not all, of it...I dont think he has the willpower not to. I'm guessing it's already in play.

Cavs Trade Exceptions -
    Original Deal / Exception Amount / Expiration Date
    LeBron James / $14,500,000 / 11th July 2011
    Delonte West / $535,680 / 26th July 2011

Some other teams with sizable exceptions...
    Toronto - 12.2M
    Utah - 6.5M
    Houston - 6.3M
    N.O. - 6.2M
    Phoenix - 5.7M

Note: I'm not necessarily endorsing the use of it before the trade deadline. It can be a very valuable tool, but it can also solidify our spot on the treadmill of mediocrity for years.

Anyhow, thought this might be interesting/educational for some of you.

• Like Like x 9
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. Zone

Zone whatever

Toronto's is only worth $12.2m (they used some in the Bayless-New Orleans deal). In the same deal, New Orleans picked up a $9,656,000 TPE

Also, there are teams far enough under the cap to have comparable means to our TPE. Sacramento is close to $13m under the cap (I don't think they're even at the minimum team salary?), and Minny is about $12m under the cap. Their advantage is that they can combine their space with players to take on a bigger salary. For instance, Minny could use their cap space of $12m along with the salary of a Corey Brewer to trade for someone making $15.7m

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rich

Rich Hall-of-Famer

Totally forgot Utah had that trade exception. They might be able to put that baby to work before the deadline and turn themselves into an even more serious threat to the Lakers.

4. KIrving15

KIrving15 Banned

I really didn't know where this post would be appropriate...but I think we should go get Rip Hamilton, he hates it in Detroit now and wants out. Do we use some of the trade exception to him...if so, how much has to be spent?

• Like Like x 1
  5. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

What's different about being here vs being in Detroit? He's in the twilight of his career, and will want to go to a contender if he leaves at all.

And what does Rip Hamilton do for us? We should not be looking at anyone over the age of 27 give or take. We want to stockpile high draft picks and players that will be peaking and entering their prime in about 3 years, when we could start seeing ourselves heading back toward the top, and not toward the bottom.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cavalierfan

Cavalierfan Situational Stopper

If Utah uses the exception at all, it won't be until this summer at the earliest. They are either up against or just over the luxury tax. Any salary they take back for the exception costs them double this year.

This summer, when AK47 comes off the books and they have this exception though, they will be able to make a big splash if they want to.

7. mAo_mAo

mAo_mAo NBA Starter

That is probably a good idea but that deal should come with their unprotected first pick next year. With the way our team and theirs are playing we may have a good chance to land two top 10 or top 5 picks next year.

8. RonG

RonG All for one

Didn't the recent Orlando trade creat two exemptions for them, one around 3 mil and the other 6 mill ?

9. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Back in 2002

So to break it down for everyone.

What can we do with the trade exception?
    - Trade for any player or players making up to $14.5 million in combined salary.

What can't we do with the trade exception?
    - Trade for any player making more than $14.5 million.
    - Combine the exception with players in any single trade.

For example, to trade for O.J. Mayo and Hasheem Thabeet you COULD:

Trade Mayo ($4.4 mil) for $4.4 million TPE, and trade Thabeet ($4.9 mil) for $4.9 million TPE.
    Trade Mayo ($4.4 mil) for $4.4 million TPE, and trade Moon ($3.0 mil) and Hickson ($1.5 mil) for Thabeet ($4.9 mil)

You COULD NOT:
    Trade Hickson ($1.5 mil) and $2.9 million TPE for Mayo ($4.4 mil)
    Trade Varejao ($7.3 mil) and $2 million TPE for Mayo ($4.4 mil) and Thabeet ($4.9 mil)

You also COULD NOT:
    Trade $14.5 million TPE and Moon ($3.0 mil) for Gilbert Arenas ($17.3 mil)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zone

Zone whatever

Utah gained that TPE from the Matt Harpring/Eric Maynor trade, which was completed on December 22nd, 2009. The TPE is good for one year, meaning that it expires today....

Yes, they received a $6,322,320 TPE in their trade with Phoenix. They also received a $1,843,017 TPE in their deal with Washington

• Like Like x 1