• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Trading for Bledsoe?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

czvo

Banned
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to go after Bledsoe, but there's some serious underrating going on here. "Glorified role player?" "Only as good as Waiters?" Bledsoe was really, really good last year. He was a borderline all-star. I don't know what it is, but why are guys of other teams always denigrated around here? I realize this is a Cavs forum, but that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge how good/talented other players are. Bledsoe is better than Waiters. If you asked every team in the league whether they'd choose Waiters or Bledsoe, in a vacuum, my guess is every single one would take Bledsoe. That said, Waiters is probably a better fit right now, partly because of the cost associated with each.

However, that in no way makes Bledsoe a "glorified role player."

It doesn't make sense to go after Bledsoe, but there's some serious underrating going on here. "Glorified role player?" "Only as good as Waiters?" Bledsoe was really, really good last year. He was a borderline all-star. I don't know what it is, but why are guys of other teams always denigrated around here? I realize this is a Cavs forum, but that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge how good/talented other players are. Bledsoe is better than Waiters. If you asked every team in the league whether they'd choose Waiters or Bledsoe, in a vacuum, my guess is every single one would take Bledsoe. That said, Waiters is probably a better fit right now, partly because of the cost associated with each.

To be fair, it was more about an Irving for Bledsoe trade which is just absurd and pointless.
I'm sure the majority on this forum would trade Waiters for Bledsoe.

But I agree. He's a lot more than just a " glorified role player".

reading on all the ignorance of other teams' players on this board has really gotten me fired up. a lot of stupid being spewed around here.

His injury issues are a serious concern, at least to me, in particular because he's so dependent on his athleticism. I'd pick him over Waiters for next season. But if we're talking long term, it's probably a tossup.

Suns news to do something. September and he's still not signed.

We don't really have the assets to get this trade done right now, depending on how much Bledsoe wants. The only realistic way to get him is to have him take his qualifying offer and then wait until next summer and sign-and-trade for him using Haywood's contract.

I'm not saying we'll do that or that we should, just that it's really the only realistic way to trade for him without sacrificing a bunch of players (and thus depth) this year to match salaries. Plus, next summer we'd have the leverage, as Bledsoe would be leaving Phoenix anyway and they'd be best served getting something for him.

Bledsoe is a good player. Not a star, but very good. Saying he is as good as Waiters isn't an insult. You are just underrating Waiters. That said, I have zero interest in acquiring Bledsoe. He isn't an upgrade in our backcourt right now, he is more expensive, much older, and has knee problems.

Bledsoe is a good player. Not a star, but very good. Saying he is as good as Waiters isn't an insult. You are just underrating Waiters. That said, I have zero interest in acquiring Bledsoe. He isn't an upgrade in our backcourt right now, he is more expensive, much older, and has knee problems.

Uh...Bledsoe is better than Waiters. He averaged more points, more assists, more rebounds, and shot a higher percentage from the field. He's also a better defender (right now) and a better athlete. His injury concerns are real, but he's clearly a better player than Waiters is at present. And that's coming from someone who loves Waiters.

Uh...Bledsoe is better than Waiters. He averaged more points, more assists, more rebounds, and shot a higher percentage from the field. He's also a better defender (right now) and a better athlete. His injury concerns are real, but he's clearly a better player than Waiters is at present. And that's coming from someone who loves Waiters.

Yeah, more points, assists, etc. means precisely nothing to me. If Waiters played as much and had the ball as much as Bledsoe he would have put up similar numbers. But what it would mean in your argument is that he was a better player than Waiters last season. It tells you nothing about comparing them "at present".

Well, let's say that Beldsoe is currently a better player than Waiters. I think Dion has an upside that he's not even close to reaching yet. Who knows if he ever will though.

Talent for talent though, I'd probably trade last year's Dion for last year's Bledsoe in a heartbeat. Bledsoe and Dragic were a full-on All Star caliber backcourt last year.

My main concern would be why acquire Bledsoe for Dion and play him next to Kyrie? I have concerns about size. Yes, yes, Kyrie is the same height as Dragic. But GD played the SG role more often than not. Is Kyrie gonna do that?

Or the other scenario, if we acquired Bledsoe with Haywood's contract, do you really think that either he or Dion will come off the bench full time? Dion might be willing to now knowing that he'll likely be in the game in the 4th like Harden and Ginobili were. But that might not be the case if Bledsoe's here.

I just don't see how Dion, Bledsoe, and Kyrie can all exist on the same team. And is trading Waiters and replacing him with Bledsoe really solving your needs?

Yeah, more points, assists, etc. means precisely nothing to me. If Waiters played as much and had the ball as much as Bledsoe he would have put up similar numbers. But what it would mean in your argument is that he was a better player than Waiters last season. It tells you nothing about comparing them "at present".

Given that all the data we have is as of the end of last season, that would count as "at present." I don't get how anyone can watch the two and not think Bledsoe is better right now.

Also, Dion had a higher usage rate than Bledsoe and only played about two or three less minutes a game, so it's not as if Bledsoe was controlling the ball significantly more than Waiters. He had to co-exist next to Dragic, after all.

Well, let's say that Beldsoe is currently a better player than Waiters. I think Dion has an upside that he's not even close to reaching yet. Who knows if he ever will though.

Talent for talent though, I'd probably trade last year's Dion for last year's Bledsoe in a heartbeat. Bledsoe and Dragic were a full-on All Star caliber backcourt last year.

My main concern would be why acquire Bledsoe for Dion and play him next to Kyrie? I have concerns about size. Yes, yes, Kyrie is the same height as Dragic. But GD played the SG role more often than not. Is Kyrie gonna do that?

Or the other scenario, if we acquired Bledsoe with Haywood's contract, do you really think that either he or Dion will come off the bench full time? Dion might be willing to now knowing that he'll likely be in the game in the 4th like Harden and Ginobili were. But that might not be the case if Bledsoe's here.

I just don't see how Dion, Bledsoe, and Kyrie can all exist on the same team. And is trading Waiters and replacing him with Bledsoe really solving your needs?

I totally agree with this. I wasn't saying we should flip Dion for Bledsoe, or that Dion can't eventually be better. I just don't think there's really an argument that, as of right now, Bledsoe isn't better than Waiters. I was just responding to a comment that saying Bledsoe is as good as Dion is underrating Dion, which I think is ridiculous. If Waiters had been as good as Bledsoe last season, everyone in the Dion thread would have been creaming themselves and proclaiming him the next Wade.

Galletti isn't exactly an "insider," but he is a close follower of the NBA and can read between the lines...

The man with the #'s ‏@ArturoGalletti
Bledsoe is winding up on the Cavs somehow. Book it.

6:12 PM - 5 Sep 2014

The man with the #'s ‏@ArturoGalletti
.@forumbluegold Bledsoe gets paid as much as waiters and Haywood. Hmmmmmmmmmm........

6:20 PM - 5 Sep 2014

I'm posting these tweets mainly because I found it interesting that someone outside Cleveland is starting to wonder how the Bledsoe situation plays out.

I listened Jalen - Bill - Jacoby Podcast. He almost predicted a trade for him

Bledsoe + Parts for Kyrie!!! I was like WTF. They talked about this:

Bledsoe:

Very good as defender

His association with Rich Paul

Had 2 knee surgeries which is a quiestion mark for his health going forward

Kyrie:

Have a good handle one of the best in the league

Kyrie should show he can defend on FIBA

Jalen says ''20-10 guy'' Bill says ''I don't think he'll ever reach 10 ast'' Jalen ''Not with LeBron''

Also his health is quiestionable too which he missed some games in his 4 year carreer

Overall :

Jalen says ''If goals aren't met; it's professional sports so you're gonna talk about change.''

I don't think this is a high possibility since he'll have to sign the qualifing offer from Phx. So he'll be a free agent next summer and he will want have get paid. Though if we really want him then we can sign&trade for him in a 12 plus million deal + a couple assets but still i don't think it's very likely.

Unless Kyrie gets blown out in the playoffs by someone front office won't even consider this. it is actually very possible against Paul, Parker and Westbrook in the Finals but only if that's the reason why we lost then it'll come as a discussion

perhaps arturo is forgetting that Bledsoe is wanting 17 million a year and will not sign long term for less preferring to take his chances as an unrestricted free agent next year.

Meanwhile waiters most likely wont be expecting such an increase as an RFA.

Waiters is the better value for the Cavs right now.

Defensively Bledsoe does well at the Guarding point but not really any better than Waiters who can guard three positions.

Offensively. I am gonna go with the age comparisons everyone so enjoys to make

at 22

http://bkref.com/tiny/uqpkx

you wann talk about size. Bledsoe 6'1

even just look at this season. bledsoe first real season starting

Waiters was the better three point shooter.. and Bledso increased his shooting percentage up close in year by 30%.

If aything Bledsoe is an example of a guy who has improsed his ability to finsh at the rim dramatically. this bolsters Waiters potential .

Dragic was the "two" in bledsoes two point guard lineup. Dragic can guard the two.

Rebounding and finishing is the primary advantages bledsoe offers over Waiters but those are skills bledso developed in the last two seasons.

Dion is a far more valuable player to the Cavs than what Bledsoe would offer.

offensively Kyrie is a better jump shooter than Bledsoe and far more creative at the basket.

this is the type of trade the Cavs would only consider if Irving wasnt a part of their long term plans if he had signed a short term contract. he didnt so its not even a question

No way unless the Cavs cap magicians "Or LeBron" makes this happen. No way he comes here at all. To have him as your first guard off the bench would be wow. He could replace Waiters eventually however I hope the Cavs focus on more bigs. Find a way to get WCS in this draft by the way please.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."