1. RCF Will Be In Flux For a few. I'm going as fast as I can correcting issues. We should be good to go by Monday. Sorry you have to deal with this bland board until then.

Union Kills the Twinkie

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Maximus, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Maximus

Maximus BANNED Staff Member

Union strike kills Hostess, the maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread. 18,500 lose their jobs. A bunch of the unions members crossed the line but got fined by the union. All this was over a few %.
    Unions = Cancer.

At least the 18,500 will have free health care and birth control...

Twinkies Maker Hostess Going Out of Business

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” CEO says

Friday, Nov 16, 2012 | Updated 7:53 AM CST

[​IMG]

Hostess, the makers of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread, is going out of business after striking workers failed to heed a Thursday deadline to return to work, the company said.

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” Hostess CEO Gregory F. Rayburn said in announcing that the firm had filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to shutter its business. “Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders.”

Hostess Brands Inc. had earlier warned employees that it would file to unwind its business and sell off assets if plant operations didn't return to normal levels by 5 p.m. Thursday. In announcing its decision, Hostess said its wind down would mean the closure of 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers, approximately 5,500 delivery routes and 570 bakery outlet stores in the United States.

Hostess suspended bakery operations at all its factories and said its stores will remain open for several days to sell already-baked products.

The Irving, Texas-based company had already reached a contract agreement with its largest union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. But thousands of members in its second-biggest union went on strike late last week after rejecting in September a contract offer that cut wages and benefits. Officials for the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union say the company stopped contributing to workers' pensions last year.

A union representative did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment on the company's announcement.

In an interview with Fox Business, CEO Gregory Rayburn said many workers had already crossed picket lines this week to go back to work despite warnings by union leadership that they'd be fined.

"The problem is we don't have enough crossing those lines to maintain normal production," said Rayburn, who first joined Hostess earlier this year as a restructuring expert.

Hostess said that production at about a dozen of the company's 33 plants had been seriously affected by the strike. Three plants were closed earlier this week.

The privately held company filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade. The company cited increasing pension and medical costs for employees as one of the drivers behind its latest filing. Hostess had argued that workers must make concessions for it to exit bankruptcy and improve its financial position.

The company, founded in 1930, was fighting battles beyond labor costs, however. Competition is increasing in the snack space and Americans are increasingly conscious about healthy eating. Hostess also makes Dolly Madison, Drake's and Nature's Pride snacks.

If the motion is granted, Hostess would begin closing operations as early as Tuesday.

"Most employees who lose their jobs should be eligible for government-provided unemployment benefits," Hostess said.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

5 people like this.
  2. calleger

calleger Preview Team

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-closing/

3. Spectre

Spectre Playin' for keeps...

18,500 jobs destroyed by a 5,000 member union refusing to budge at the bargaining table. Awesome. I love our liberal overlords.

1 person likes this.
  4. boxxer

boxxer Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like hostess was offering that bad a deal considering the alternative.

Well, hopefully Little Debbie is hiring!

5. BlueSeats626

BlueSeats626 Gee-Mail in KG's Inbox

Because unions believe that no job is better than a slightly lower paying job.

Can somebody explain to me why rich CEO's are so evil, but that rich union heads are such undeniably upstanding individuals?

Enjoy those free phones, and contraception folks.

11 people like this.
  6. MikeOC33

MikeOC33 Cavs Fanatic

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

I just figured this thread would be a sex joke about Dwyane Wade and his girlfriend...

8. Damage

Damage ****face

Who said they were? The 2 are not mutually exclusive, for the record.

And way to crow-bar in a bigoted comment. Well done.

4 people like this.
  9. southernflyer

southernflyer Well-Known Member

The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers' International Union (BCTGM) just lost 5% of their membership by doing this. The Teamsters approved their portion of the contract, and aren't happy their 7,500 members are losing their jobs because of the BCTGM, an AFL-CIO affiliate.

Our company was upset when the IAM (affiliate of AFL-CIO) became union leadership for our ramp and customer service agents. The Teamsters in the recent past have been much more agreeable to what is best in respect to both the company and getting a fair contract for their members. Richard Trumka, head of the AFL-CIO, still believes labor unions are fighting the same conditions and workrules they had in the 1930's and seems to be oblivious to economic restraints that companies are under right now.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mazer Rackham

Mazer Rackham L I V I N

Just. Awesome.

Damn I'm going to miss my Twinkies!!!!

11. Maximus

What? Where? :confused:

4 people like this.
  12. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

I think a little blame should fall on the fact that only fat people who have given up on life buy their crappy product.

2 people like this.
  13. Damage

Damage ****face

Bigot was a poor choice of words...

But the whole cell-phone/contraceptive narrative. It's bullshit, anti-liberal rhetoric and it completely undermines the laws of causality.

14. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

Teamsters...

:chuckles:

5 people like this.
  15. caf

caf Banņed

ME LOVE HOSTESS!

1 person likes this.
  16. Biw

Biw The One Who Knocks

Hostess can suck my dick. Swiss Rolls for life.

1 person likes this.
  17. Maximus

:bigcry:

[​IMG]

18. Biw

Biw The One Who Knocks

It's a good thing the better alternative is still on the market.

19. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

The workers weren't going to take a drastic pay cut for a failing product. I'm not agreeing with them, but I hope we see the fault of the company decision-makers as well.

Hostess has been the biggest symbol for eating poorly, outside perhaps for McDonalds. Steve Ettleinger wrote a very popular book called, Twinkie Decontructed, which broke down how bad processed foods are for your health.

If we are going to talk about personal responsibility for your own health in one thread, we should be talking about Hostess changing their products with the times in another. Hostess produced crap that dieticians have been warning us against since the 80s.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Nicky

Nicky Sweep the leg!

This reminds me of my childhood, in the catholic school system. We'd occasionally get to go to the convent, with one of the nuns (for what, I don't remember). They'd always give us Ho-Ho's, and the rumor was that the Ho-Ho's were old and moldy, and the nuns were trying to poison us.

I didn't eat Ho-Ho's for years, after grade school.

Thanks for the memories, Hostess.... You were the mostest!

What about the Deep Fried Twinkies at Melt?! Nooooooooo!!!!

1 person likes this.