1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Victor Oladipo Crush-a-lot

Discussion in 'Trades, Free Agency, & the Draft' started by ChicagoCavFan, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicagoCavFan

ChicagoCavFan Moderator

Like. Scorching Buckeyes. Bring him to me.

2 people like this.
  2. MGMT

MGMT Preview Team

Request title change to The Home 'Dipo.

8 people like this.
  3. "Boobie" Gibson

"Boobie" Gibson In the Rotation

No but srs: Kyrie, Oladipo/Waiters, LeBron, Thompson, Varejao/Zeller = not 3, not 4, not 5...

4. oasis05

oasis05 In the Rotation

I like him with the lAkers pick around 16. Not sure about the cavs pick,

5. Heights

Heights In the Rotation

Since this will probably turn into the general Oladipo pre-draft thread, here is the recent DraftExpress profile of Oladipo, probably posted elsewhere on the site, but deserving a place here.

Accompanying video:
    [video=youtube;MgWJGiJJAwk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MgWJGiJJAwk#![/video]

6 people like this.
  6. "Boobie" Gibson

"Boobie" Gibson In the Rotation

I want him with the Cavs pick wherever that may be. PERFECT complement to both Kyrie and Dion. Gonna be a stud.

2 people like this.
  7. EdMonix11

EdMonix11 Sixth Man

Ya let's take a player to replace our top 4 pick from last season and ignore our holes..... sound strategy.

3 people like this.
  8. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

If the Lakers get their act together, then he could possibly be had with that pick. He's projected to go in that range where the Lakers would be if they make the playoffs. But drafting him with our own pick, hell no!

9. Cassity14

Cassity14 Sixth Man

The Cavs do not have a true third guard in their rotation right now. Regardless of whether he starts of comes off the bench, the game that Oladipo has shown this season would mesh playing alongside either Kyrie or Dion. He does not need the ball to have an impact on the game and his defensive abilities are very clear. He's the type of guy you look for in that range of the draft, a long-term role player. You can draft one or overpay for one in free agency. Because the Cavs have the luxury of two first round picks, they can afford to use a later pick on a guy who fills a hole.

10. oasis05

oasis05 In the Rotation

Oladipo can play small forward as well. He's a multifaceted defensive wing. He's not just a guard.

1 person likes this.
  11. MirORich

MirORich All-Star

Oh man, wish I wouldn't have watched his video from a few posts up. Now I'm extra annoyed with the Lakers. Would love to take him somewhere bw 10-16. As a rookie, give him 12-18 minutes per game at SG and another 12 minutes at SF and let him just hound the opposing teams best wing non stop on defense.

12. Tizzle

Tizzle Situational Stopper

Wow. I'm liking his defense and his motor. I'm interested.

13. EdMonix11

EdMonix11 Sixth Man

You don't spend a top-5 pick on a third guard and fill a hole later on.....

Just because Oladipo can't dribble a basketball doesn't mean he's a perfect fit for both Kyrie and Dion; he literally doesn't have a left hand. Assuming one of those two is one the bench, who else can create? Oladipo, in isolation plays is like giving the other team two points at the other end. Everyone thinks he's this great shooter but he isn't, he's just taking smarter shots this year and taking advantage of the attention Cody Zeller gets in the low block; he still doesn't shoot well from the line. I don't see any upside in him because he's physically maxed and doesn't have a single NBA quality skill on the offensive end. The only way he scores in the NBA is from his athleticism; cuts, transition, and the occasional open shot. He can't run off screens, he can't create off the dribble, he telegraphs his passes when he tries to create, he's very predictable, amongst other things. NBA teams are going to eat him alive with the ball in his hands.

I just see a guy who runs around really fast, faster than his opponents and makes uncontested shots. I don't see the upside because his athleticism won't be anywhere near as impactful in the NBA as it is right now in the Big 10. He doesn't have a plan B game; by that I mean, when his athleticism won't allow him to score the ball with cuts and straight-line drives, how will he produce? He's not a great shooter, he can't slow the game down because he's not skilled enough to beat even a COLLEGE defender any other way, and I'm not sure if his basketball IQ is really low or if he just tries to force the things he's weakest at too often....

He's an NBA role player, not a top-5 pick. Maybe the dearth of talent in this draft pushes him into the lottery but the Cavs will have a lot more options when it's their time to pick......

14. PIP

PIP Orange and Blue Staff Member

He's a better player and an upgrade over our #4 from a year ago... The Cavs holes is their actual talent on the roster... Strategy is sound..

15. spydy13

spydy13 Towel Waver

Am I the only one that sees a slightly smaller Shawn Marion when it comes to Oladipo? Both have crazy athleticism, rebound better than expected for their height, and the ability to guard multiply positions, but can't shoot the lights out or go off the dribble with assured success. I don't think I would take him top 5, but if we some how slid down a bit, I think he would be worth taking a shot on. He's the kind of winning "glue-guy" we need.

2 people like this.
  16. RonG

RonG All for one

Best players available when we draft except PG Best players available when we draft except PG Best players available when we draft except PG

Just in case your are confused Best players available when we draft exceptPG

I want to have to have OKC's problem in 4 years do we keep our Hardin or trade for a solid veteran guy and 3 draft picks and a young talent.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  17. ChicagoCavFan

ChicagoCavFan Moderator

^ Lotta fail bro. All good, except you have to accept the punishment. ;)

3 people like this.
  18. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

Disagree with Ron. I refuse to accept the Cavs drafting another PG when they already have Kyrie...

3 people like this.
  19. The Human Q-Tip

The Human Q-Tip NBA Starter

I take acception to you not excepting that.

20. The Human Q-Tip

The Human Q-Tip NBA Starter

That's not a bad comparison at all, although describing Marion's jump shot as just "not being able to shoot the lights out" is a bit charitable.

The big question on Oladipo right now is his shooting -- fluke, or real improvement? I imagine folks are going to watch that closely the rest of this year, look at film to see if his form has improved, and evaluate that in workouts.

Shawm Marion with a plus jump shot would have been a hell of a player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.