• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan (Nov 26, 12:00 EST)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

jlj3184

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
It would be fitting if Michigan’s return to national prominence would include a long-awaited victory over arch-rival Ohio State.

The No. 17 Wolverines look to snap their seven-game skid against the struggling Buckeyes on Saturday in a Big Ten matchup at The Big House.

Michigan (9-2, 5-2) has been outscored 218-108 while losing seven in a row against Ohio State dating to a 35-21 home win over the Buckeyes on Nov. 22, 2003.

The Wolverines, however, have been reborn under first-year coach Brady Hoke and remain in the mix for a BCS bowl game. Their resurgence combined with Ohio State’s issues on and off the field, open the door for the tide to turn in the series.

“This is a special week because you play in the greatest rivalry there is in sport,” Hoke said. “When you get the chance to play or coach in this game, it’s always a fun week.”

From the moment he was hired, Hoke said beating Ohio State (6-5, 3-4) was one of his top priorities. A Michigan fan growing up in Ohio who later became an assistant coach in Ann Arbor, Hoke has revived a program that never won more than seven games in each of the past three seasons under Rich Rodriguez.

This also is the first time Ohio State’s Luke Fickell will take part in the rivalry as a head coach. Fickell is trying his best to prepare his team for this contest despite reports that former Florida coach Urban Meyer has already reached an agreement to take over the Buckeyes next season.

“It’s about a football game,” Fickell said. “It’s not about me. It’s not about Coach Hoke. It’s about the greatest rivalry in all of football, their team, our team and the history of the traditions.”

The Wolverines enter this contest looking for a third consecutive victory after pounding then-No. 17 Nebraska 45-17 last Saturday. Denard Robinson threw for two touchdowns and rushed for two more.

Robinson, however, is just 10 for 22 for 90 yards and no TDs through the air in two games versus Ohio State. He did rush 18 times for 108 yards in last season’s 37-7 loss at Columbus.

Running back Fitz Toussaint ran four times for 16 yards against the Buckeyes in 2010, but is a more prominent part of the Wolverines offense this season. The sophomore has rushed for 558 yards with five TDs on 92 carries over the last four games, including 138 on 29 rushes and two scores versus Nebraska.

During that victory, Michigan fans began chanting “BEAT O-HI-O! BEAT O-HI-O!”

“It’s exciting,” Hoke said of that moment.

What Hoke should be excited about is his improving defense that has allowed 17 or fewer points in three of the last four games.

Hoke hopes the Wolverines can continue their strong defensive play against an Ohio State squad that is looking to avoid its first three-game losing streak since 2004.

“It’s something we’re not used to,” Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier said. “We’re used to being the big dog.”

After being upset 26-23 at Purdue on Nov. 12, the Buckeyes lost 20-14 at home to No. 20 Penn State last Saturday.

“It’s hard to swallow,” center Mike Brewster said. “That’s how the game goes sometimes.”

Freshman quarterback Braxton Miller was 7 of 17 for 83 yards with a touchdown and also ran for a team-high 105 yards on 18 carries and another score. The Buckeyes, however, were held scoreless in the second half.

Senior running back Boon Herron has averaged 70.5 yards without a touchdown in the last two games after rushing for 138.3 with two scorers over his previous three contests.

Herron has rushed 49 times for 351 yards with three TDs in three games versus Michigan, including 175 on 22 carries and a score last year.

Though Ohio State is still eligible to accept a bowl bid, the NCAA could decide to slap the Buckeyes with a postseason ban in addition to their other penalties for several instances of players accepting improper benefits and former coach Jim Tressel playing ineligible players.

Regardless of what Ohio State’s postseason future holds, a victory over the Wolverines would be the highlight of a murky season in Columbus.

“It’s the biggest game of the year for us,” receiver Jake Stoneburner said. “It’s the biggest rivalry in all of college football. To come out with a win there, you can salvage any season.”

michigan.jpg

m-sucks.jpg

Michigan+Sucks.JPG

1500days-703761.jpg

OSUNick.jpg

ohio-state-michigan-spread-picks-line-300x237.jpg

I'm predicting an Ohio State loss, followed by OSU fans continually saying the loss doesn't bother them because Urban Meyer is coming.

(I'm not a Michigan nor an Ohio State fan, just an outside perspective)

I'm predicting an Ohio State loss, followed by OSU fans continually saying the loss doesn't bother them because Urban Meyer is coming.

(I'm not a Michigan nor an Ohio State fan, just an outside perspective)

Aaaaaand...you'd be right, because the loss wouldn't bother me because, well, Urban Meyer is coming to start another 7 year streak over Michigan. Sorry, just the more than likely scenario and you know it, we know it, everyone knows it, but snide remarks about OSU and their fan base are just too tempting.

Well, maybe it'll bother me a little bit.

But it isn't like we were going to beat them the rest of my life. C'mon sons.

To date, there has never been a Facebook status update that detailed a UM win over OSU in football. I am hoping that tomorrow will not bear the first.

The last time that UM beat OSU, Facebook was barely a figment in Zuckerburg's imagination.

Last time we lost to those shitheads, I was in 7th grade. I'm a junior in college now. Let's keep this streak going.

FUCK MICHIGAN

I havent taken a shit since we beat michigan.

please fucking lose guys. I need to live again.

To date, there has never been a Facebook status update that detailed a UM win over OSU in football. I am hoping that tomorrow will not bear the first.

Or a tweet about it in 140 characters or less.

Also, count me in on the group that a loss won't mean shit to me. Urban Meyer. COME ON DOWN!!!

I feed off the misery of scUM fans... and I'm feeling very hungry.

Aaaaaand...you'd be right, because the loss wouldn't bother me because, well, Urban Meyer is coming to start another 7 year streak over Michigan. Sorry, just the more than likely scenario and you know it, we know it, everyone knows it, but snide remarks about OSU and their fan base are just too tempting.

Well, maybe it'll bother me a little bit.

But it isn't like we were going to beat them the rest of my life. C'mon sons.

I wasn't making a snide remark...just saying what I think will happen. If I was an OSU fan, I'd do the exact same thing if they lost tomorrow.

We're from Ohio...We're from O-H...We're from Ohio...I-O...

I think OSU wins and rallies around Fickell. Somehow someway we just make it happen. Denard throws 2 picks and gets injured...

Fuck you people if you don't care about OSU Michigan.

I hope you all get molested. Woody Hayes would slap the taste out of your mouths.

Urban is coming, but I'll never accept losing to those fucking water rats.

Fuck you people if you don't care about OSU Michigan.

I hope you all get molested. Woody Hayes would slap the taste out of your mouths.

Urban is coming, but I'll never accept losing to those fucking water rats.

This might have been tongue-in-cheek, but it kind of highlights the reason many don't like OSU. It's not my school, so why should I treat it any different than any other rivalry game?

This might have been tongue-in-cheek, but it kind of highlights the reason many don't like OSU. It's not my school, so why should I treat it any different than any other rivalry game?

Same could be said of any big school, guy. The reason many don't like THE Ohio State University is because we're always good, which is why so many people were so happy to see us get in trouble this year. It's got nothing to do with our fan base and everything to do with our success over the years.

And even if it isn't your school, it's still widely considered one of the biggest rivalries in all of sports. Not just college football. Not just college athletics. All of sports. A rivalry that goes back over a hundred years, and one that's almost always been competitive. A rivalry that predates the beginning of the World Series by 6 years, and the NFL by almost 25. It's one of those few games that makes the taste of a bad season go away if you win. So if you're a college football fan with even an ounce of knowledge about the history of the game, then you know damn well why it's different from every other rivalry game out there.

People can go ahead and hate all they want, people can go ahead and say they don't care all they want, people can try and play devil's advocate or take the holier than thou path all they want, people can say "it's just a game, why should I care" all they want. People can make thinly-veiled jabs at our beloved football team and our fiercely loyal and devoted fan base all they want. You know what? FUCK THEM!!! If anyone thinks it's JUST A GAME then I've got news for you -- it's a tradition, one that's older and more hallowed than several generations of your family. Continue to hate or give your "outsiders perspective" -- all the hate does is dump gasoline on the fire that is our passion for everything Ohio State, and I'm damn proud to be a Buckeye.

End of rant, go Buckeyes.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."