• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Welcome Olivier Vernon!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jack Brickman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
We could use a thread for this, yes?

Also, stealing this from reddit:

Dorsey: "Guys, don't tell anyone, but I'm about to acquire someone from the Giants. I'll give you a hint, his name starts with O."

He's good right?

Isn't lb our biggest weakness

Via an interview with the New York Post:

Q: Your six-game suspension while in college, because the NCAA said you received benefits from an agent: Was that embarrassing?
A: It was embarrassing, but the thing that made it worse was I couldn’t speak on my behalf about what happened. Nothing that the media portrayed about what happened was true, so that kind of hurt a little bit just being silent on it. But you just gotta move on.

Q: What can you say about it now?
A: It was nothing about me taking any type of money. I’m very prideful when it comes to that. I don’t like to ask people for anything. But it was a certain situation that was against the rules, and I guess I paid the price for it unfortunately. But what’s in the past is in the past.

Q: So why exactly were you punished?
A: Probably for eating chicken wings at the game.

Q: Six-game suspension for eating chicken wings.
A: Impermissible benefits.

Q: Tell me about your father’s chicken breast sliders.
A: Every game my dad would tailgate so sometimes I’d stop by and pick them up. My dad loves to cook.

tenor.gif

Here's a good trade breakdown:

I get the sense that this trade is at least somewhat about unleashing the Kraken that is Myles Garrett. Put a damn good player on the opposite end. Someone that demands attention. Double team Garrett...….Vernon gets ya...……..Double team Vernon...……...Garrett gets ya. Can't double them both...…….. oh Fuck...…….Here comes Peppers on a safety Blitz...……. Options my friends, this gives Wilks sooooo many options. And we are not done yet.

I get the sense that this trade is at least somewhat about unleashing the Kraken that is Myles Garrett. Put a damn good player on the opposite end. Someone that demands attention. Double team Garrett...….Vernon gets ya...……..Double team Vernon...……...Garrett gets ya. Can't double them both...…….. oh Fuck...…….Here comes Peppers on a safety Blitz...……. Options my friends, this gives Wilks sooooo many options. And we are not done yet.

It's nice to see a Browns team building (and scheming) around the players and their skillsets rather than the constant shuffle of DCs trying to shoehorn guys where they don't fit.

This includes him missing 9 games over the past two years.

Over his career, he’s averaged roughly 0.6 sacks and 1.5 QB hits per start.

That translates to about 10 sacks and 24 QB hits per season if he remains healthy.

Combine this with him being one of the best against the run, and Vernon has been one of the best ends in the league over the length of his career.

He’s done all of this under the radar, really. Out of the draft, he was thought to be a great athlete, but would require time. He developed ahead of schedule from Day 1, thriving with Wake. In Miami, he would drop into coverage, he would play with his hand in the dirt, he would play as a standing linebacker. Then, he signed that massive deal with New York. I don’t even want to say he’s been disappointing for the G-Men—he’s been stellar when he’s healthy—he just ran into injury issues that have made him available. Prior to these past two seasons, however, he never missed a game due to injury.

Now, he’s going against right tackles while Myles draws tons of attention? We might be looking at a career year.

He’s still just 28, after all.

The only thing about this trade that I wasn’t elated over was that it wasn’t conditional upon negotiating a new contract with Vernon. I had thought we might deal for him, but I thought it might be upon renegotiating his current deal into a 3 year deal that adds some guaranteed money back to the mix for him but reduces his cap number.

Last edited:
So I need to own up and admit I didn’t know who he was before learning of the trade. I can’t believe he’s been that productive on both fronts and I’ve never heard his name or don’t recall it — and I wouldn’t consider myself a casual NFL fan by any means.

This includes him missing 9 games over the past two years.

Over his career, he’s averaged roughly 0.6 sacks and 1.5 QB hits per start.

That translates to about 10 sacks and 24 QB hits per season if he remains healthy.

Combine this with him being one of the best against the run, and Vernon has been one of the best ends in the league over the length of his career.

He’s really been under the radar, really.

Now, he’s going against right tackles while Myles draws tons of attention? We might be looking at a career year.

He’s still just 28, after all.

The only thing about this trade that I wasn’t elated over was that it wasn’t conditional upon negotiating a new contract with Vernon. I had thought we might deal for him, but I thought it might be upon renogationting his current deal into a 3 year deal that adds some guaranteed money back to the mix for him but reduces his cap number.

Wow. Put in the 9 games and he is #2.

Maybe be other guys have missed games but f that, I want to BELIEVE.

So with Garrett drawing more attention, I am looking for something like 20 sacks from Vernon. I like to start conservatively before I see on-the-field dynamics.

Meanwhile NYG are going to have raiders-level defense next year.

Wow. Put in the 9 games and he is #2.

Maybe be other guys have missed games but f that, I want to BELIEVE.

So with Garrett drawing more attention, I am looking for something like 20 sacks from Vernon. I like to start conservatively before I see on-the-field dynamics.

Meanwhile NYG are going to have raiders-level defense next year.
Conservative, of course.

I’m putting my number at 12.5 sacks.

I think we get 17 from Myles and 12.5 from Vernon.

And who knows what happens in the second game.

So I need to own up and admit I didn’t know who he was before learning of the trade. I can’t believe he’s been that productive on both fronts and I’ve never heard his name or don’t recall it — and I wouldn’t consider myself a casual NFL fan by any means.
Kinda in the same boat here.

I didn't really know much about him, up until the trade was reported and I checked out his numbers and watched a few videos on him.

Honestly excited to see how he plays in this defense. I love the coach we brought in to run this defense, and I feel like we are another pretty good linebacker and a few depth pieces away defensively from being a really, really good defense. We already know the offense is going to score some points with Mayfield under center, but the defense has a ton of questions we have to answer this offseason.

Acquiring Vernon to help bring the pressure the Browns need with Myles Garrett on the other end is very important. I see a lot of talent on this defense now, and again, add 1 or 2 more impact players, some depth all around.. They can make some noise.

Excited to see what Dorsey does next.

Things are looking up for the defense. Pass rush is the ultimate weapon against the pass, not secondary. Setting up for a great season.

The only way to consistently beat the greatest QBs is to put pressure on them. Love this.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."