• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Western conference slightly overrated

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
What are we, 5% of the way in to the season?

The only huge surprise out West is the Pelicans looking like they can't even tie their shoes.

Davis has been awful (38% from the floor and 3 TO's per game) and they're just not a well coached team.

Alvin Gentry was just a horrible choice based on the games I have watched.

He's letting Ryan Anderson rot on the bench early in games and then playing him once they're down by 15. His minutes look OK but they're just inflated by all the garbage time he's gotten after their doors have been blown off.

And when Anderson does play, they're not pairing him with Davis often enough. Floor spacing sucks with AD in the game and he has nowhere to operate down low.

Gentry has always been a middling coach though, so I guess I'm not surprised. He's only coached a team to an above .500 record in 3 of his 12 head coaching seasons. They could have done WAYYYYYYY better than hiring someone like him.

Last edited:
What are we, 5% of the way in to the season?

The only huge surprise out West is the Pelicans looking like they can't even tie their shoes.

Davis has been awful (38% from the floor and 3 TO's per game) and they're just not a well coached team.

Alvin Gentry was just a horrible choice based on the games I have watched.

He's letting Ryan Anderson rot on the bench early in games and then playing him once they're down by 15. His minutes look OK but they're just inflated by all the garbage time he's gotten after their doors have been blown off.

And when Anderson does play, they're not pairing him with Davis often enough. Floor spacing sucks with AD in the game and he has nowhere to operate down low.

Gentry has always been a middling coach though, so I guess I'm not surprised. He's only coached a team to an above .500 record in 3 of his 12 head coaching seasons. They could have done WAYYYYYYY better than hiring someone like him.

The Pels starting backcourt is Tyreke and Jrue. Tyreke had knee surgery and is out 2 mos. Jrue's ankle issues resurfaced and he has played 71 out of a possible 192 minutes.

Their backup backcourt is Norris Cole and Pondexter. Neither has played this year and both are out indefinitely.

EJ has been forced to play more min at the 2 where he really struggles defensively, and with the other 1 min (outside of Jrue) going to Lil' Nate and Ish Smith their backcourt defense bas been horrific (see McCollum going for 37, Curry having qtrs of 24 and 28).

Pointing to a lack of Ryan Anderson (who might be the worst defensive big in the NBA) does nothing to shine light on their problematic backcourt.

Brow is among the best in the league. But he can't create his own shot. Few players of his size can. And without anyone being able to run PnR and put any pressure on defenses, they just drop to AD and force the NBDL players to make it happen. And they can't.

Blaming Gentry for his entire roster of backcourt players going down seems silly too.

The Pels starting backcourt is Tyreke and Jrue. Tyreke had knee surgery and is out 2 mos. Jrue's ankle issues resurfaced and he has played 71 out of a possible 192 minutes.

Their backup backcourt is Norris Cole and Pondexter. Neither has played this year and both are out indefinitely.

EJ has been forced to play more min at the 2 where he really struggles defensively, and with the other 1 min (outside of Jrue) going to Lil' Nate and Ish Smith their backcourt defense bas been horrific (see McCollum going for 37, Curry having qtrs of 24 and 28).

Pointing to a lack of Ryan Anderson (who might be the worst defensive big in the NBA) does nothing to shine light on their problematic backcourt.

Brow is among the best in the league. But he can't create his own shot. Few players of his size can. And without anyone being able to run PnR and put any pressure on defenses, they just drop to AD and force the NBDL players to make it happen. And they can't.

Blaming Gentry for his entire roster of backcourt players going down seems silly too.
They really miss Evans in particular. He helps Davis's game because he can get to rim, collapse the defense, and create opportunities for Davis. For a superstar, AD isn't great at creating his own shot, so Tyreke's playmaking ability is sorely missed.

They really miss Evans in particular. He helps Davis's game because he can get to rim, collapse the defense, and create opportunities for Davis. For a superstar, AD isn't great at creating his own shot, so Tyreke's playmaking ability is sorely missed.

People here take our depth for granted. Being out 4 rotation guards is a deathknell for any other team and the Pels are showing just how bad it can be. We are out 3 and can still toss a guy who dropped 50 last year and Delly who is far better than a 3rd string PG should be. No one else has such luxuries.

Play Ryan Anderson at the two duh

Looks like somebody missed the “Around the NBA” section.

Reactions: mds
Well maybe the better way to phrase it is the East isn't as bad as the last few years. Wiz beating SAS and Toronto beating OKC last night certainly help the case.

Plus if we ever get healthy, the Cavs look IMO really the only team out there that can perform like GS on regular basis

Reactions: mds
Play Ryan Anderson at the two duh

Thats just mean. The poor fellow can't keep with stretch 4s and you want him defending the quickest guys in the league in space? I mean I'd pay to watch it but it wouldn't help their awful defense.

Well at least so far you have a point OP

The top 7 teams in the East are currently 8-0 against the West

1. Raptors 2-0 (Mavs and Thunder)
  2. Hawks 0-0
  3. Cavs 1-0 (Grizzles)
  4. Pistons 1-0 (Jazz)
  5. Wizards 1-0 (Spurs)
  6. Bulls 1-0 (Thunder)
  7. Heat 2-0 (Wolves and Rockets)

Still think I'm crazy.

Not sure why this got so many dislikes. OP is right. He's not saying the West sucks or the East is better, but the narrative that the West is this unstoppable force is a bit exaggerated.

I constantly see teams like the Clippers and the Rockets deemed title contenders while laughing off squads like Atlanta. I see nothing from the Rockets and Clippers that indicate they have any real chance to overcome the Warriors and Spurs. Hell, I trust a healthy OKC over teams like the Clippers and Rockets come playoff time. Memphis appears to be an inconsistent mess. The Pelicans are a one man show. Dallas sucks.
There were as many as 6-7 teams out west that were title contenders just a couple of seasons ago and now that number is somewhere between 2 and 5 depending on the health of those teams at the top.

It's still better than the East, but not nearly as strong as it was in recent years.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."