1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

What are the Cavs going to do at C?

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by KeyzerSozee, Jul 2, 2011.

1. KeyzerSozee

KeyzerSozee Situational Stopper

It was suggested by a few that this thread be started after it got to be a side-conversation in the Hickson trade thread. I'll probably add thoughts in an edit, but you get the point. I'd hope also that we pull some magic get an extension of the trade Asset LBJ created, parlay it into another pick, but I'd imagine eventually harder to do under Hard Cap, but perhaps not at first? as I noted in the CBA discussion only 12 teams inclusive of the CAVS are in "good" position in guaranteed contracts

I'll add some fodder- I assume it is addressed through the draft? If so looking to next year, rated as follows:

1. Andre Drummond
    Experience: N/A | School: Undecided
    Height: 6-10 | Weight: 275 lbs.
    *Andre Drummond is the #1 prospect in the 2012 class. However, his original class is 2011, and he has the option to reclassify. He is undecided on where he will play college basketball.
    Season Stats:
    15.7 PPG, 0.6APG, 7.2 RPG, (55% FG)

2. Patric Young
    Experience: Junior | School: Florida
    Height: 6-9 | Weight: 245 lbs.

Season Stats:
    3.4 PPG, 0.3 APG, 3.8 RPG, (56% FG)

3. Tyler Zeller
    Experience: Senior | School: North Carolina
    Height: 7-0 | Weight: 250 lbs.

Season Stats:
    15.7 PPG, 0.6 APG, 7.2 RPG, (55% FG)

4. Lucas Riva Nogueira
    Experience: International | Country: Brazil
    Height: 7-0 | Weight: 225 lbs.
    Season Stats:
    N/A

5. Joshua Smith
    Experience: Sophomore | School: UCLA
    Height: 6-10 | Weight: 305 lbs.

Season Stats:
    10.9 PPG, 0.6 APG, 6.3 RPG, (56% FG)

6. Festus Ezeli
    Experience: Senior | School: Vanderbilt
    Height: 6-11 | Weight: 255 lbs.
    Season Stats:
    13.0 PPG, 0.2 APG, 6.3 RPG, (59% FG)

7. Renardo Sidney
    Experience: Junior | School: Mississippi State
    Height: 6-10 | Weight: 275 lbs.
    Season Stats:
    14.2 PPG, 0.7 APG, 7.6 RPG, (52% FG)

8. Reggie Johnson
    Experience: Junior | School: Miami
    Height: 6-10 | Weight: 303 lbs.
    Season Stats:
    11.9 PPG, 0.9 APG, 9.6 RPG, (59% FG)

9. Fab Melo
    Experience: Sophomore | School: Syracuse
    Height: 7-0 | Weight: 244 lbs.
    Season Stats:
    2.3 PPG, 0.2 APG, 1.9 RPG. (61% FG)

10. Aaric Murray
    Experience: Junior | School: La Salle
    Height: 6-10 | Weight: 250 lbs.

FA's beginning this year (some order of desire-ability some are RFA's):
    1) Tyson Chandler - The top option in this entire off-season recruitment process has to be Mr. Chandler. I sincerely doubt it.

2) Nene

3) DeAndre Jordan

4) Marc Gasol

5) Joel Pryzbilla

6) Samuel Dalembert

7) Kwame Brown

9) Chuck Hayes

10) Jeff Foster

11) Jason Collins

12) Dan Gadzuric

13) Kyrylo Fesenko

No Order FA's in 2012 (assuming lockout and just looking ahead)

1) Roy Hibbert

2) Koufos

3) Chris Kaman

4) Anthony Tolliver

5) Brook Lopez

6) Ronny Turriaf

7) Robin Lopez

8) Garret Siler

9) Marcus Camby

10) Tim Duncan

- Sure I am missing some, but hard to go through every team's roster. Feel free to add or edit Wuck

• Like Like x 4
  2. Obawan12

Obawan12 Team Statistician

Isn't it obvious? Use the Kings 2017 first round pick...

3. tedginnjr

tedginnjr What's your Damage?

Did we trade Andy?

Erden and Tristen can play in spurts too...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowblind

Snowblind It's Business Time

This is why I was mad we passed on Jonas. Even if TT and Jonas end up playing on the same level, Jonas is going to be more valuable since he plays Center.

• Like Like x 8
  5. The Voice

The Voice Best in the World

Do we honestly even know what we have with Erden? Pencil Stache picked up his option and we still have Andy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rist77

Rist77 In the Rotation

I think if we were able to draft or acquire a 6'11-ish scoring PF (i.e. Perry Jones or Anthony Davis) then TT could slide over to play the C position. I know he doesn't have ideal height but he has that kind of presence and game to play there, especially defensively. Also with Andy and TT on the court together, I could see Andy guarding 4's and TT guardng 5's, I know there wouldn't be much offense there, but still.. 4's would be shut down, 5's would be questionable until TT got a little stronger. Rebounding and hustle wouldn't suffer though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KeyzerSozee

Yes, Andy is a good player to have (player we have under Contract (only) through 13/14), but do you want him to be your starting C as a guy who makes his money with his energy and well-timed placement in games?.

I'd assume we are building for depth, for a Champion. Erden is only contracted for this year, which could very well be locked out (and knowing what I do about him (somewhat limited) he seems very similar as a 6th man energy/minutes guy as AV). I'd love to see TT able to play even at C at the NBA level, can he idk? I would think that his selection had more to do with filling the hole for PF which Hickson was going to create.

I don't think you create depth/a serious contender with a Center position by Committee. Look at this year.

8. wuck

wuck Hustling on the inside Staff Member

Byron Scott's Nets got to the 2002 finals with Todd MacCulloch and Jason Collins at center. The next year, Mutombo (at 36) shared the spot with Collins. Now, of course, they didn't win it all, but Scott has led teams where Center was not a strength.

With the game changing every year, I wonder whether a conventional (or high-production) center will be or can be a priority for the Cavs.

All that said, I wanted them to choose Jonas for this reason. But since they didn't, they are going to have to find another path.

• Like Like x 6
  9. daddywags

daddywags In the Rotation

Well, in fairness, this year the two teams that played for the championship had Joel Anthony and Tyson Chandler as starting centers. Anthony is listed at 6'9" and Chandler was a late offseason trade addition by the Mavs. The two teams they played in the conference finals had Varejao clone Joakim Noah and Kendrick Perkins (who was traded for mid-season) at C. While I still think they made a mistake picking Thompson instead of Valanciunas, there are lots of ways to get useful centers and not every center on a good team has to be 7' tall anyway.

10. AMC

AMC Mmhmm.

I am hoping we back the Grizzlies into the corner and give Marc Gasol a good offer. That way, if the Grizzlies cant afford him we get to take on Gay with the extended TPE, or we get to sign Gasol, whatever Chris Wallace decides to panic about.

11. KeyzerSozee

Good perspective. Makes the future that much more interesting. With that being said, apparently conventional C's are one of the strength's of this Super-class in 2012.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Norm

Norm In the Rotation

TT is about 225 soaking wet, don't think he has the strength to bang with the Big C's. He's got desire and quickness to outhustle some plodders underneath, but maybe 5-8 minutes a night max.

Andy, Erdin, Ryan "The Show" Hollins and even Samuels can handle the C spot combined for now. Our best hope for a future C is hoping one of the guys we got or committe of them can handle the spot for us going forward. 2012 draft is looking pretty deep at SG and SF prospects who project as stars and hopefully we're grabbing one of them next year and not having to grab a C unless we get a top 5 pick and there's a can't miss Center or we're able to grab a 2nd good 1st round pick and possibly grab both.

I really like the flexibility we have in having youth with potential and good assets for trades and drafting. As long as Grant is competent and Scott develops the guys right, we should look good moving forward and hopefully sooner than the 5 year window most are giving us as being competitive is more like 3. I don't mind losing seasons to get better, but they better start being competitive losing seasons to keep the faith (not talking about being just good enough to make playoffs and 1st round exit, but more of losing seasons where we may be 2 guys away from being able to make a legitimate push)

• Like Like x 3
  13. KeyzerSozee

Agree. But I also agree with what Wuck said particularly the caution, and said that in thinking about those concerns. Yes you have that on the Mavs but then you have Dirk at PF, on the Heat you had Bosh. OKC- Ibaka played out of his mind. Chicago had Carlos Boozer. So all of those teams you name make a good point, but I guess it assumes a lot about TT's development, as to say that it seems like you need a PF who can really pick up the Paint Presence on one end or both.

14. Gimme Some Mo

Gimme Some Mo All-Star

Easy. We're going to draft Kanter or Valanc......nevermind.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rist77

Rist77 In the Rotation

16. Dr. Gymbo

Dr. Gymbo Resident Microbiologist

The draft was 9 days ago. You're going to have to let it go at some point.

• Like Like x 7
  17. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Back in 2002

We are going to have to draft one in future years. Because we wasted the #4 pick this year, wasted the trade exception, and didn't get much of anything for Hickson, it added a couple more years of sucking for us to have a chance of developing a contending team anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KeyzerSozee

That's why I tried to provide what the College ranks seem to have, and who seems to be future FA's. And assuming they know what they are doing and have a rhyme and reason (including sucking as DG clearly could have bought a team of potential guys who never panned out this year and got an 8 seed] down the line. That is what I hoped people got out of the point of this thread as it started in the JJ trade tread, is assuming we compete how do we address the 5 spot based on our 4 spot, and seeming direction?

So what would your ideal depth chart be Next year in retrospect? When it actually matters an we may start to contend?

19. Hydroponic3385

Hydroponic3385 Snitches get stitches

As far as the #4 pick: Let's let him and the other rookies play a season or two before we evaluate them, maybe?

As far as the TPE: Did ANY team utilize their trade exceptions? No. Perhaps they weren't as valuable right now because teams are so unsure of what the new CBA will bring. And you don't use it just to use it, I doubt there was anything that good out there for it. Finally, it's possible we are granted the extension with it still.

As far as Hickson: The Cavs shopped him for SIX weeks, and this was the best offer. Obviously GM's around the league don't value him very much, and see the MANY flaws in his game that most of us fans see. It's a good thing we got the trade in before the lockout, cuz it's very possible that was our last chance to trade him before free agency. Casspi + mid-1st round pick (some time in the next 1-6 years) is better than letting him walk.

• Like Like x 6
  20. elbarko

elbarko Situational Stopper

I think Festus Ezeli breaks out as one of the most NBA ready prospects after this season at Vandy. He has the size and surprisingly good footwork and patience in the post to go with it. Tough defender with a passion for the game and NBA dreams, from interviews he seems like Grant's kind of "good human". Call me crazy but I'm all for drafting a Jr or Sr high in the draft. A lot of people think guys spend more time in college to become 2nd round role players, but if I'm hiring someone at my business you sure as hell better come in with some maturity and (life and basketball) experience from the struggles of college/real world. Plus you know Grant isn't bringing in some middle class American white boy like Zeller, he wants our multi-ethnic team holding hands singing We Are The World in the locker room before games.

• Like Like x 2