1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. 78% of you are still blocking ads. Please Whitelist RCF or consider buying the ad-free version of RCF. It's $5 per month. Thank you to the 4 people who bought the ad free package!!!

What can I do about my loud neighbors

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David., Jan 6, 2019.

1. David.

David. Radical Centrist

God fucking dammit. Every other night they are up till 130 cackling. I have reported them to the complex a half dozen times. They say they have talked to them. Somehow they keep doing it.

I have had maintenence out. First time they kicked everyone out. I think they came by tonight but just listened outside to see it they were loud.

Well I don't sleep outside. I sleep in my place which shares a cieling/floor with them. Them being outside doesn't represent anything. I have recorded a few instances of noise successfully but Honestky the phone doesn't pick up much audio.

And they get loud on and off. So I can't just call maintenance and have them show up 45 minutes later because they may be taking a break. The problem is out of nowhere they'll scream and I'm up for the rest of the night.

So I have 2 recordings so far and I have texts from another Tennant saying she can never sleep becuae of those fucking idiots.

I want out of here. I am this close to going up stairs and telling them if I hear them again, I'm beating the shit out of every single one of them. They don't fucking care, the complex sucks, I'm stuck here for 10 months.

What can I do

2. Sumac13

Sumac13 Heretic

Yeah, listening from outside is BS. And as you said, the noise can be intermittent.

Read your lease closely. See if any options present themselves there. In my previous lease (state of Washington), there was a provision that if the cops came due to noise complaints x number of times, the landlord could evict me on that alone. Not sure of what exact wording of that was, but it was something to that effect. Your lease might have a similar provision. This does, however, require you to call the police to help address the matter. Not sure how you feel about that. Nonstarter?

Call your local councilman and see what the city noise ordinances are, and ask what options are available to you.

--
    Edit add. You may be able to break your lease without penalty.

From Legalzoom

" At common law, a leaseholder is entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of the property. If you ask your landlord to do something about the noise levels and he or she fails to do so you may have legal recourse against the landlord.

The most likely remedy for breaching the covenant of quiet enjoyment is early termination of the lease. That means you'll be off the hook for the rent balance but you'll have to break out the moving boxes. If moving is not an option, you may decide to file a private nuisance lawsuit against the noisy neighbor. Remember, this may mean hiring an attorney if you are asking the court to stop the noise. Small claims court is another option if you don't have the resources to hire a lawyer and you're only suing for monetary damages."

• Like Like x 2
  3. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

Why not keep calling the cops with noise complaints? I don’t know if it is the same in Cali, but in mAny states the cops will automatically show up each time.

4. Hurl Bruce

Hurl Bruce Sexual Tyrannosaurus

You've been on TV before.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. David.

David. Radical Centrist

They never leave the station here. That's why I resorted to reporting to the complex.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

Earplugs?

7. JDailey23

JDailey23 In the Rotation

Call them saying you are hearing a woman scream. Give them a reason to have to come out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

a false police report is a crime

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. macbdog

macbdog Resident Luddite

I saw this documentary where these folks who were sick of their neighbors being noisy hired these two guys to harass them into moving and the two guys placed dead fish in the heat registers to drive them out. May be an idea.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Zeus69

Zeus69 2016

Beat the shit out of them. Wear a Trump mask.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

Call the local news invegistaive team if your complex does nothing. Those guys are always looking for stories. I’m sure when they find out you are a celebrity RCF poster they will be even more interested.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. David.

David. Radical Centrist

That's actually a decent one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Oi

The Oi Ahhhh chachachacha

In that documentary did Don Rickles call Artie Lange a baby gorilla?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. FiveThous

FiveThous His name was Sashi Brown

Become friends and hang out with them?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. inliner311

inliner311 NBA Starter

We use to live in a town house as kids and the neighbor would get annoyed that we would run up and down the stairs. He would turn his stereo up real load everytime it got annoying for him. I can't say it worked for us as kids but my parents would get the signal to tell us to calm down.

Since you said you call your complex about it, I take it they own the whole building and there isn't any HOA. If there is an HOA, they will probably do something and be every annoying about it.