• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Which one should be our priority? Back-Up Point Guard or Back-Up Small Forward?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which one should be our priority?

• Back-Up Point Guard

• Back-Up Small Forward

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Red Viper

I never freeze!
Reaction score
I know, we need both. But, I was curious which one everyone else thinks we need the most. So, assuming we re-sign all the players from last season, except Marion who has retired, which position do you think we need to prioritize? A back-up point guard, who can not only handle the ball and create for others as well as himself or a small-forward who would be a 3 & D guy?

I'll say backup PG just because it feels like options are more limited and Irving is going to get banged up. All PGs do and we need a better creator than Delly behind him.

Imo, another solid wing player should be our top priority this off season.

Since LeBron plays point often (and is relied on to do a lot of other things) I'll say his back-up is more important.

Since LeBron plays point often (and is relied on to do a lot of other things) I'll say his back-up is more important.

But he still defends the small forward of the opposite team, so I'm not sure that this is a good argument.

I said PG, if for no other reason that you don't want Delly to ever have to play north of 25-30 MPG. Not a knock against him, but this team could actually get away with Shump and JR playing spot minutes at 3. Although I've waffled quite a bit on this, I think we can nab both this summer.

I think we need a sf who can actually play quality minutes. Lebron needs to reduce his load, it is obvious. There wasn't a game in the finals where his tank want empty in the 4th.

Delly can play backup pg imo, and if we don't have Kyrie healthy it will be tough to win no matter who is backing him up. Looking at Delly as a weak link on the finals team is absurd.

I think we need a sf who can actually play quality minutes. Lebron needs to reduce his load, it is obvious. There wasn't a game in the finals where his tank want empty in the 4th.

Delly can play backup pg imo, and if we don't have Kyrie healthy it will be tough to win no matter who is backing him up. Looking at Delly as a weak link on the finals team is absurd.

I like him, and he definitely should be back.

But the last two games combined, he only scored 6 points total!

Even if his offense isn't his calling card, that just tells you how limited he his.

The Cavs definitely need another back up point guard that brings something different to the table to mesh with Delly's weaknesses.

There's no replacing Kyrie Irving obviously, but its scary how little scoring production we're capable of getting from our back court when he goes out.

God bless Delly for playing some incredible games in the finals, above what he's normally capable of doing on a consistent level, but the last few games in the finals, reality set back how much we struggle overall offensively with him playing a large quantity of minutes.

We shouldn't take this year finals as an argument for anything. We most likely won't have Love and Irving injured at the same time next time as well. When either of them is healthy we have enough offensive power. The defense that Delly will bring is what will make the difference.

I like him, and he definitely should be back.

But the last two games combined, he only scored 6 points total!

Even if his offense isn't his calling card, that just tells you how limited he his.

The Cavs definitely need another back up point guard that brings something different to the table to mesh with Delly's weaknesses.

There's no replacing Kyrie Irving obviously, but its scary how little scoring production we're capable of getting from our back court when he goes out.

God bless Delly for playing some incredible games in the finals, above what he's normally capable of doing on a consistent level, but the last few games in the finals, reality set back how much we struggle overall offensively with him playing a large quantity of minutes.

He was hurt. This has been really overlooked that after he cramped up his legs were fucked. He didn't spend nearly so much time on curry because he could not do it. In game 4 he came in and made a couple of good defensive player in the 3rd and immediately had to come out. IMO James and Delly gave everything they had in the first 3 games. It wasn't ever competitive after that. The 2 overtimes killed them. Their legs were being massaged every time either of them went to the bench.

I don't think Delly came back to earth or Curry figured something out. Curry just had more left in the tank. Hell, their whole team did.

I think we make a trade with a Haywood's contract for a PG. Delly is alright. He's a third string option coming off the bench on a contending team.

I'd rather sign a backup small forward who is young that can give LeBron rest from time to time.

He was hurt. This has been really overlooked that after he cramped up his legs were fucked. He didn't spend nearly so much time on curry because he could not do it. In game 4 he came in and made a couple of good defensive player in the 3rd and immediately had to come out. IMO James and Delly gave everything they had in the first 3 games. It wasn't ever competitive after that. The 2 overtimes killed them. Their legs were being massaged every time either of them went to the bench.

I don't think Delly came back to earth or Curry figured something out. Curry just had more left in the tank. Hell, their whole team did.

I was speaking more at an offensive standpoint.

I realized he was tired, and hurt.

My point wasn't to knock Delly, or act as if he's not very important to the team.

I just said, it'd be nice to find another point guard to complement Delly with the things he lacks.

Delly is a defensive point guard. It'd be nice to sign a shooting/scoring/play making one to go along with him.

Not looking to replace him on the team.

Why should 1 need to be a priority? Feel like we're going to acquire both, one with the MLE and another with the Haywood contract.

I was speaking more at an offensive standpoint.

I realized he was tired, and hurt.

My point wasn't to knock Delly, or act as if he's not very important to the team.

I just said, it'd be nice to find another point guard to complement Delly with the things he lacks.

Delly is a defensive point guard. It'd be nice to sign a shooting/scoring/play making one to go along with him.

Not looking to replace him on the team.

I agree, but implying that Delly lacks shooting?

Anyways, I 100% agree with bringing in a PG who is the opposite of Delly on the offensive end. One who can create his own shots instead of needing them created for him. Anything we can do to make us as match-up proof as possible is a major win for the outlook of our roster.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."