• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Wide Open at Wide Receiver

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rank the Most Impactful Browns WRs in 2014

• Nate Burleson

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Miles Austin

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Andrew Hawkins

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Charles Johnson

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Travis Benjamin

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other (Not Gordon)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Randolphkeys

I'm Just Second-hand Strus
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
nate-burleson.png

Every team has that one area which scares the crap out of fans. Last summer, Seattle Seahawks fans I knew were optimistic about the season... but if you brought up the wide receiver position to them they would quickly switch the subject to Clint Dempsey and those roundball Sounders. As a San Francisco resident, I see Michael Crabtree and Colin Kaepernick jerseys everywhere but if the legion of rookie cornerbacks are mentioned their attention turns to baseball. There is no secret which position is the unmentionable among Browns fans in 2014: Wide Receiver.

miles-austin-mike-pettine-nfl-cleveland-browns-ota-850x560.jpg

So in the wake of Flash Gordon's fall from grace, who do you see being the number two option after Cam Jordan? Poll added, make your arguments.

I think the Browns should hold a contest where, every week, one lucky fan gets to suit up and run the slot.

Last edited:
With Gordon out, could the Browns have one of the worst wide receiver corps in the history of the NFL? Our top WR is a slot guy receiver. After that we have washed up vets who may or not even make the team like Austin and then UDFAs. I would happily take the Seahawks situation over what is going t be at total, several rows of dumpsters fire storm.

I think the Browns should hold a context where, every week, one lucky fan gets to suit up and run the slot.

Is that how 'yall pronounce it in the Carolinas?

Charles Johnson is my sleeper to become the #1 flanker/split end threat by the end of the season, Hawkins probably ends the year with the most receptions but should be playing the slot.

What if we just started Manziel, ran the triple option, and constantly used the wishbone formation?

Is that how 'yall pronounce it in the Carolinas?

Charles Johnson is my sleeper to become the #1 flanker/split end threat by the end of the season, Hawkins probably ends the year with the most receptions but should be playing the slot.

Damn you! Fixed it. :chuckles:

BUT YOU KNEW WHAT I MEANT!

I know our situation is ugly, but anytime someone talks about Andrew Hawkins, they light up. I think the kid can be electric in the slot.

My prediction: Hawkins is our leading WR this season. I'm assuming health holds out and Gordon is a non-factor.

Hawkins and Hoyer have spent the entire summer getting on the same page, running routes and getting their timing down in Cleveland. Seems like Hawkins wants to be Hoyer's Wes Welker. Johnny is too busy for this kind of thing I guess... Anyways, back to the receivers: If anyone watched Grand Valley State back when they were pulling upsets against Big 10 teams, you saw Charles Johnson and may not remember. He has all the physical tools and he straight up murdered the Wolverine secondary in the game I watched. Color me intrigued.

The problem is the WRs we have are actually talented guys and worthy of PT on most NFL rosters however; none of them should be considered primary targets. They are secondary targets at best and that even includes Cameron. A big time receiver like Gordon makes this WR corp look deep and well constructed. Without him it looks like a mess.

I fear a big drop off for Cameron this year because defenses will be focused on him more now that Gordon isn't out there. Hawkins will be solid and make plays but he's not a guy you rely on every week to be a big play guy. Miles Austin might come in and play well or he might not even make the team, I see both scenarios as very possible. Charles Johnson I hope can do something but he was a low level rookie on a practice squad last year that blew out his knee, what can you really expect from him? Burleson I'm not super high on. He's a lot like Miles Austin to me only I don't think he's capable of as good of a season Austin is. I also feel, like Austin, he could play so bad because of age/injury that he might not make the team. Benjamin is a poor man's Hawkins IMO.

There are 2 saving graces for the receiving corp this year. 1 the Browns have cap space and could be players in the trade market and pick someone up that's better than the group we have. 2. The running game will be vastly improved from last year which should allow the receivers to have better defensive formations to work against. 2.5 the QB position should be an upgrade (god I hope so). How much so is yet TBD.

I really think that Charles Johnson is the guy that emerges from this bunch, very similar body type and may be faster (eye test here no data) than Gordon. Preseason I think you'll see guys start to emerge and we should be able to identify pretty easily who will make this roster. I think we got a good group of vets, younger guys and UDFAs that can make this a solid receiver core.

1. Hawkins
2. Austin
2.5 Johnson

I think Hawkins is going to kill it this season. He runs his routes sharp, quick, he's blazing fast. I actually think he will see time outside the slot if we don't happen to pick up another capable wideout. He is tiny as hell, but playing outside and running quick routes to off-set Cameron. He is easily our best WR right now so no way we limit him to 3 WR sets. With the chemistry he is building with Hoyer, no way Hoyer is not the starter week 1, unless he just looks Terrible. Hawkins hasn't really been seeing a ton of targets, and now that he is basically our main man, and I will say it again, for now, he should see a ton of shots. I agree with Phills and believe Cameron will drop off a bit, but hopefully it opens the hole for Hawkins.

Also agree with how the running game will help. I feel we are going to flip a switch with this running game. Defenses won't be able to shy away from our running game, which will open a gap for our not-so-great receivers.

I am hoping and praying I am right.

Cameron is going to have to really step it up. I almost started a thread about WR targets in the 2015 draft :chuckles: but I decided to wait until we move over to REAlbrownsfans. Thats how bad I think this group will be. Austin has two straight years of injuries, Nate B. is at the end of his rope. I do like Armstong as he has been looking good on OTA's, but I expect him to be decent at best.

Charles Johnson is also a huge huge question mark. This will be a bad group, there is just no way to hide it.

GOOD News; Good list of WR free agents next spring and 3-5 high quality Wr's could go in the first round next year.

Cameron is going to have to really step it up. I almost started a thread about WR targets in the 2015 draft :chuckles: but I decided to wait until we move over to REAlbrownsfans. Thats how bad I think this group will be. Austin has two straight years of injuries, Nate B. is at the end of his rope. I do like Armstong as he has been looking good on OTA's, but I expect him to be decent at best.

Charles Johnson is also a huge huge question mark. This will be a bad group, there is just no way to hide it.

GOOD News; Good list of WR free agents next spring and 3-5 high quality Wr's could go in the first round next year.

No idea where we will be picking ( :pray: Buffalo sucks it up) but Amari Cooper would be nice if he can stay healthy all year.

Knowing the Browns we will have 2 picks in the top 7 cause we are going to suck too.

I know our situation is ugly, but anytime someone talks about Andrew Hawkins, they light up. I think the kid can be electric in the slot.

My prediction: Hawkins is our leading WR this season. I'm assuming health holds out and Gordon is a non-factor.

If the two guys lined up on the outside are garbage, though, what stops the other team from putting their best CB on Hawkins?

If the two guys lined up on the outside are garbage, though, what stops the other team from putting their best CB on Hawkins?

I wouldn't really call the guys lining up on the outside "garbage"

They are okay. Shit, they can hopefully go back to what they once used to be. If not, then hopefully Cameron will continue to have a beast season. We don't have a star anymore with Gordon being out, but we have capable WR's. That's all we need.

As me and Phills said before, it is ALL on the running game. If we don't get the running game started, we are screwed.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."