• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Will Anderson Varejao be considered one of the greatest role-players to ever play?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heej

NBA Starter
Reaction score
The question is in the topic title, and I must admit that I like AV a lot so this is a rather biased thread from its inception. Putting that aside I really think AV's one of those championship-level role players that end up being huge assets to any team they play on. I'm talking about Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Derek Fisher, Steve Kerr, John Paxson, Horace Grant, Michael Cooper level role players who teams absolutely have to take into account and are as big a part of their team's success as the superstars.

AV's energy provides a great spark off the bench and he's become an excellent one-on-one defender who should get at least some consideration for the Defensive Player of the Year award. With that said, I think if the Cavs string together a few championships Varejao undoubtedly belongs on that top tier of role-players.

Though I guess you could say he's more of a 6th man (especially with Z gone...for now), but regardless I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about this.

Re: Will Anderson Varejao be considered one of the greatest role-players to ever play

The question is in the topic title, and I must admit that I like AV a lot so this is a rather biased thread from its inception. Putting that aside I really think AV's one of those championship-level role players that end up being huge assets to any team they play on. I'm talking about Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Derek Fisher, Steve Kerr, John Paxson, Horace Grant, Michael Cooper level role players who teams absolutely have to take into account and are as big a part of their team's success as the superstars.

AV's energy provides a great spark off the bench and he's become an excellent one-on-one defender who should get at least some consideration for the Defensive Player of the Year award. With that said, I think if the Cavs string together a few championships Varejao undoubtedly belongs on that top tier of role-players.

Though I guess you could say he's more of a 6th man (especially with Z gone...for now), but regardless I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about this.

Dude, talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Re: Will Anderson Varejao be considered one of the greatest role-players to ever play

Dude, talk about putting the cart before the horse.

That's kind of what you're expected to assume in a thread like this. No one would ever consider Varejao a high level role player if he didn't have multiple rings. I thought it was pretty obvious you'd have to suspend your disbelief a little bit with this thread and roll with a few assumptions. But you're right, I did jump the gun with that one.

Kobe Bryant is the greatest role player to ever play the game.

Bigger Question. Could Telfair be the biggest 15th man of all time?

I think he does file into that shanie battier, bruce bowen esque player,he's an outstanding defender and is extremely productive.

He definitely has the potential. Can't hurt that he has that signature mop as well. You have to have some kind of distinguishing characteristic to your appearance and a good nickname if you want people to remember you long term:

The General: goggles
Horace%20Grant.jpg

Rambo: Mullet AND goggles
kurt-rambis.jpg

Worm: Tats, Drag, Dyed Hair
dennis-rodman.jpg

Wild Thing: Mop
varejao.jpg

7 Rings/Shattered dreams.. This starts and ends with Robert Horry

Robert+Horry%5B1%5D-1-785848.jpg

And the answer to the question is no....

AV's value is based more on intangibles than any of the other guys you mentioned. The other players on your list (to which I would add Vinnie Johnson) all had some sort of specific skill, whether it's shooting the long ball, playing hard-nosed defense, being "money" in the clutch, or the like. AV, on the other hand, doesn't have one particular skill that stands out. He's sort of an "energy" guy who plays good on-man defense and good team defense and displays a knack for (a) cutting to the hoop, and (b) finding a way to get to "50/50" balls. So in that regard, he may very well be considered one of the most underrated role players in the league right now. Quite frequently his value to the Cavs won't be found in the box score or in traditional views of what role players do. His ultimate value is in being a nuisance to the Cavs' opponents and in giving the Cavs multiple extra possessions each game. I'm trying to think of another guy like him who's currently in the league but I'm drawing a complete blank. The only historical guy that comes to mind is Rodman, but he had better rebounding and defensive skills.

Wild Thing: Mop
varejao.jpg

Andy needs to bring back the goatee. Add to it Z's man beard and we're golden.

The big difference between all those guys you mention and Varejao is that regardless of their specific skills (ballhandling, defense, clutch shooting, post play) they all had either reliable or outstanding jumpers, even Grant had one out to 15 feet. Regardless of championships won, I think Varejao only makes his way into that category by rounding out his offensive game. He's started putting a couple weak but sometimes effective post moves into action, but he really needs a consistent jumper. If he does that while the Cavs win a couple then we can talk about his name next to those other guys.

He is an absolute menace. Probably the most under valued player on the entire team. The thing that few people are pointing out is that he continues to get better every year. In years past, teams would lay off of him because they knew he wouldn't shoot, but this year he has had spurts where he'll drive to the basket and even shoot a jumper.

42d154e659d74aa51b4e2c8ca6e96cb6e2c3165.gif

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."