1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Will The Cavs Make a Major Move At The Trade Deadline?

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by Ben, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Thread: Will The Cavs Make a Major Move At The Trade Deadline?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. If you consider trading Boobie Gibson for 1st round pick in the 20's major, then yes.

85 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

Will The Cavs Make a Major Move At The Trade Deadline?

2. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

Yes. The Cavs will trade with OKC, and the basic nucleus of the trade will be Andy for Perkins and the Toronto pick. Other picks and players may be added. The Cavs want more picks and Andy has a good chance of falling to injury or old age by the time we're in true contention for a championship, and Perkins will not cut it for the Thunder during the playoffs, so they need a big man like Andy to do the dirty work for them. The trade makes way too much sense not to happen. It just really does.

3. Soar

Soar Hall-of-Famer

Major? I'm going to say no. I don't think the Cavs will be ready to use multiple assets until draft night when they know what their picks will be. The only major piece I can see being traded is Varejao. The only way I see a team offering enough for Grant to trade him is if a team suffers a big injury. For example, if Ibaka tears his ACL, I can see the Thunder parting with more than they would under normal circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FiveThous

FiveThous Redeux

If they do, they pick up a veteran G for a 2nd rounder, noone special just a mentor type guard for the youngbloods.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

The Cavs would never do that. There is nothing that the Cavs have done in their actions since LeBron left that would indicate that would be a part of their plan, nor have they stated that it would be a part of their plan. As a matter of fact, they've gone in the exact opposite direction. I'm guessing you said that because you're still just riding on the veteran guard bandwagon that RchfldCavsraised started in the Dion thread. :chuckles:

6. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

After last night's game, I am petrified at the thought of this team with even less NBA level talent. At some point, it becomes regressive to the development of Irving, Waiters, and the young bigs. Gibson isn't in the long-term plans, but I don't know what Kyrie is going to learn playing against real NBA talent night in and night out without a Varejao type of third option on the floor. And that makes the big projection of Dion panning out as a second option, which is far from a certainty.

• Like Like x 12
  7. cavsfan1985

cavsfan1985 ^ kind of a big deal!

I agree, I would like to see a nice return from Andy, but think the best return in on Irving, and him having someone to work with and develop confidence with. It is not a number you can quantify, but Irving with Andy, is better then Irving with no Andy. I think if we move Andy it would be in the off season, or if we get such a good package we can not say no. Trading Andy has to be a 100% win for Cleveland.

8. "Boobie" Gibson

"Boobie" Gibson In the Rotation

There will be 0 major moves at (or before) the deadline. Andy won't be traded anywhere as he will ride out his contract here in Cleveland. The management isn't stupid, clearly, and they know they will never receive fair value for the guy. That's what I am hoping they are thinking, at least :chuckles:

9. Jon

Jon ~

I just can't wait to see us running that foul line extended pick & pop with Kendrick Perkins...

• Like Like x 5
  10. pr26

pr26 NBA Starter

Because THAT would be the reason to make the trade, not the young assets right? *eye roll*

11. "Boobie" Gibson

"Boobie" Gibson In the Rotation

Aren't Kyrie, Dion, Alonzo, Tristan, Tyler, and next year's #1 enough young assets?

• Like Like x 6
  12. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

I really, REALLY hope so. Still don't like the chances of us signing an all star in the offseason. By then all of those players will have been traded for and be "stuck" with their new teams. We need to jump the gun ourselves before it's too late.

13. UncleDrew

UncleDrew Potential Legendary

You're right, we also need some veterans to teach these youngbloods (as previously mentioned a few posts above).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Giambiwannabe7

Giambiwannabe7 Sixth Man

I can see Boobie being traded, but I'm not sure that would qualify as a "major move." OKC isn't giving up Perkins unless they get another banger like him. Dwight Howard eats Andy for breakfast. OKC can get away with Perkins being just the enforcer because they have so much around him. They don't need him to be a "hub" in their offense. He wouldn't be nearly appreciated the way he is in CLE. Yes, he would bring them a lot, but the return wouldn't be enough to justify it all for CG. Everyone who wants to trade Andy believes he will breakdown, but noone knows. If Andy stays healthy all year, then what will these people say? Did anyone expect Z to make it through all those foot problems and end up having a good career the way he did?

15. Stark

Stark Keeping the Faith

If you consider trading Boobie Gibson for 1st round pick in the 20's major, then yes.

16. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

to win a title?

no.

• Like Like x 27
  17. 1B4IGO

1B4IGO Long Distance Sniper

I do but I believe we will be buyers and not sellers.

18. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

Honestly I can't even answer the question until we start seeing who is available. The Cavs NEED another big move or two, but not for the sake of just making one. We need to see which teams start hurting and who can steal.

Also, Andy is looking more and more untradeable.

19. godfather

godfather NBA Starter

I hope I'm not alone thinking trading Andy for just picks(lottery or not) is beyond stupid. Andy can play, Andy is damn good. Andy is good for the young guys. Not just his leadership, but he makes everyone better. He is good for the development of Kyrie, Waiters, Tristan, and whomever else.

If we were to trade Andy, we better get a really good player in return. Draft picks don't guarantee anything. Look at some of the past top-10 drafts, there are loads of players who've busted. You can't just have a team full of rookies and 20 year old players. You become the Sacramento Kings.

I say no, we don't make a major trade. And I'm okay with that. We got plenty of picks to continue building with.

• Like Like x 5
  20. godfather

godfather NBA Starter

This is exactly right. Trading away the very few good players we have is not good for the development of Kyrie, and Waiters.

The only way trading Andy makes sense if we're getting a good player in return. But just for picks? No, that's not the right move at all.