• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Windows 10

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cassity14

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
Windows 10 launches in a little under two weeks. Has anybody been following what will be new/different/better about it?

I ask because those of us that are on 8.1 are able to upgrade for free. I reserved my upgrade today, and will begin looking into whether or not it's worth getting. I'm assuming it will be given the negative press that 8.1 gets.

It
Windows 10 launches in a little under two weeks. Has anybody been following what will be new/different/better about it?

I ask because those of us that are on 8.1 are able to upgrade for free. I reserved my upgrade today, and will begin looking into whether or not it's worth getting. I'm assuming it will be given the negative press that 8.1 gets.
Can't be worse than 8

If it's a better version of 7 than I might consider getting a new laptop as mine is showing it's age but I hate 8 so much

Essentially what @Adam said.

It couldn't be worse than 8. Windows 8 is that fucking bad...

If it is though. It's time for me to jump ship.

I do a lot of Windows development, but it might be time to just run Visual Studio in a virtual machine.

I absolutely could not believe how drastically different, lurchy and horrible Windows 8 is. I'm just a basic computer user, do not need anything advanced.

I've never had a platform, program, application (or whatever the fuck everything is called) infuriate me as often as 8.

What was the logic behind making such a drastic change to such an easy fucking system?

I absolutely could not believe how drastically different, lurchy and horrible Windows 8 is. I'm just a basic computer user, do not need anything advanced.

I've never had a platform, program, application (or whatever the fuck everything is called) infuriate me as often as 8.

What was the logic behind making such a drastic change to such an easy fucking system?

Cost.

Windows 8 was a new kernel, designed from the ground up to be run on multiple platforms with code being shared across completely different hardware.

Windows 8 can run on an ARM-based phone, an ARM or x86 based tablet, a laptop, a desktop, or a massive server.

This saves Microsoft hundreds of millions of dollars in not only R&D but support. Because they are reusing 80% of the code of the operating system.

The problem is that they assumed desktop users wouldn't care, and that server users basically wouldn't have a choice.

So they focused on mobiles and tablets and basically backported the experience to desktops and servers. It was a monumental mistake, and it's what caused all the shake ups that happened at Microsoft since.

It's not as widely talked about, but Windows 8 is a bigger flop than Windows Vista. The only difference is that Windows 7 is a better operating system in all respects to 8, which wasn't the case for XP vs Vista (Vista was still better, just glitchy/buggy).

Windows 10 really needs to be good, or they'll lose their final group of power users and developers (like me) to Mac OS X.

I think they thought if they could make 1 platform for both tablet and pc they could keep control of the market. Surprisingly this is not easy, especially if you think a charms bar is a good idea.

The worst part about 8 is the fact that when you do certain things it bumps you off of the regular Windows and you end up on a fucking homescreen or whatever the hell it's called.

Like you literally can't even see the fucking icons anymore. I can't remember off-hand what actions would cause this, but it was very basic stuff. Like exiting out of internet windows.

It's also impossible to find the search bar that's so easy to find on regular Windows. The search makes you search not just the computer but online too it seemed like.

And then when I tried to use PDF's where I'd add comments on pdf's I couldn't figure out how to do it and PDF's have an entirely different name....

Infuriating.

I have to use it when I'm on vacation at my in-laws place in Florida and I've contemplated not going to Florida anymore to avoid it.

I have to use it when I'm on vacation at my in-laws place in Florida and I've contemplated not going to Florida anymore to avoid it.

Reason #45897833453 to avoid Florida.

On topic, from what I've seen Windows 10 is getting pretty solid reviews and looks to be a substantial improvement over 8, and more in line with what Windows 8 should have been coming from 7.

Regardless, I'm planning to upgrade to 10 with a new Intel Skylake platform next month. Still running a bootleg Windows 7 Pro currently.

I'm hoping they kill the app based layout of 8.1, like Jigo i hate that shit. At the very least give me a way to disable it completely.

Nice that they're letting basically everyone upgrade for free, though. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Yeah cuz Mac OS X and Linux cost so much, ya know?

Well compared to the normal price it costs to buy Windows, I'll take free.

I primarily use my computer as a gaming rig, so Linux just isn't practical for me. Too many of my games won't run on it. Valve has made some strides there, but Linux just isn't there yet, at least as a primary operating system.

OS X would be better in that respect, but I think I dislike Apple more than I dislike Microsoft. :chuckle:

Well compared to the normal price it costs to buy Windows, I'll take free.

I primarily use my computer as a gaming rig, so Linux just isn't practical for me. Too many of my games won't run on it. Valve has made some strides there, but Linux just isn't there yet, at least as a primary operating system.

OS X would be better in that respect,

OS X and Linux are basically the same difference (very similar operating systems). If a game runs on either it should run on the other with minimal changes. In fact, any Linux game should run natively in OS X, so porting to Linux makes far more sense than porting to OS X directly.

But the Linux hold up was mostly due to companies writing shaders specifically for DirectX. That might change. Also with Unreal Engine, CryEngine, and Unity all supporting Linux / OS X out of the box, Windows might not be the best option overall for a purely gaming platform in the next 5-10 years. Also Steam.. but yeah.. We'll see.

but I think I dislike Apple more than I dislike Microsoft. :chuckle:

Why is that?

Windows 8/8.1 gets too much hate. All you have to do is install Classic Shell and then it's just like any other version of windows, only faster. Been running 8.1 w/ Classic Shell since December and have no complaints.

Windows 8/8.1 gets too much hate. All you have to do is install Classic Shell and then it's just like any other version of windows, only faster. Been running 8.1 w/ Classic Shell since December and have no complaints.

The bolded isn't true bro. Trust me, I wish it was.. I have no choice but to use Windows, every day, all day..

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."