1. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Windy Interview on leaving for ESPN

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by Lo Key, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Lo Key

Lo Key In the Rotation

http://www.clevescene.com/64-and-co...h-brian-windhorst-about-his-departure-to-espn

5 people like this.
  2. Joe Henderson

Joe Henderson keyboard monkey

the New York Times? for realz?

3. Kypus

Kypus Dead Donkeys FTW

Well, I can't deny it- Windy has been a straight shooter through this whole process. Most people couldn't have handled the situation as tactfully as he has. Sad he's leaving of course, he's been great to the RCF community.

4. mAo_mAo

mAo_mAo NBA Starter

Good luck to him!!!

5. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

Don't really have an issue with him leaving, but the elephant in the room is that as different as the two situations are, I kept getting LBJ flashbacks as I read his answers. Still, Windhorst handled this much better than James did.

6. InBoobieWeTrust

InBoobieWeTrust Savior of Humanity Staff Member

Appreciate him handling it with class and dignity and honestly, if the money is right, go for it...

But man, still sucks. Just from a standpoint of other people from the outside looking for yet another reason to bash Cleveland.

7. Remi

Remi Safari Vacationer

I'm a little lost with this because I really haven't had a chance to catch up. I understand he is going to ESPN, but is it for like ESPN Miami? Like why does it center on him going to Miami because I know ESPN is in Bristol.

8. Chris

Pretty much, seems like it is basically ESPN Miami they just call it the "Heat Index" and it covers...well, the Heat. Or at least that's what I think. Basically, he will be covering the Heat, hence why he is going to Miami.

9. Ren

Ren Situational Stopper

I wish him all the best, but I will miss his columns and in game blogs the most. Good luck Brian.

10. gregdawg

gregdawg Situational Stopper

I don't blame Windy for jumping from a sinking ship. He's just following the money and going where the interest is. Now that Lebron left, no one will be paying attention to the cavs. There's just no longer an incentive for Windy to stay in Cleveland to cover a team that no one cares about. He's following his cash cow - Lebron. Windy's coverage of Lebron is how he made his name. As soon as Lebron left, I knew Windy would be leaving as well. If it wasn't for Lebron, no one outside of Cleveland would know who Windy is. Lebron put Windy on the map...so I'm not surprised he's following Lebron to Miami and sticking with the thing that made him what he is. it's a no-brainer decision for him. By moving he gets more money and WAY more eye balls on his stories.

last year his stories were getting national coverage because there was a national interest in Lebron. This year it would be a different story. If he stayed in Cleveland this year, no one outside of Cleveland would have any interest in his stories...he would quickly fade into obscurity. He got a taste of that fame last year and now he wants to milk the Lebron cow for all it's worth. I knew he would continue to suckle from the Lebron teet as he has from the beginning. He was smart to attach himself to Lebron early on and make himself the "Lebron insider." I wouldn't be surprised if, like Lebron, Windy had planned all along to leech off of Lebron's fame and then split town to strike while the iron is hot. it was smart career strategy on his part. He saw Lebron as his ticket out of here...and he executed his plan to perfection.

11. Chris

Yup. I think all of us would make the same move, as sad as it is. Hell, I said I'd have made the same move as James did when he did, just would have done it much more tactfully.

12. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

Man, these games are gonna SUCK without his tweets and blogs. That was so great at the games, just grabbed the iPhone and got the story behind what I was watching while it was happening.

3 people like this.
  13. The Oi

The Oi Or Also Schtick

Good for him. He made the right career move.

But I don't like him anymore and I hope he tears his ACL.

26 people like this.
  14. TheISHT

TheISHT Gold Star Member

So have all the rats jumped ship?

What he is doing is a logical choice though. He writes. You want as many readers as possible. Let's just hope he doesn't sell out and continues to cover the NBA after he is done with the Heat.

15. Real Deal

Real Deal NBA Starter

Don't matter how you look at it, you can appreciate him all you want but its still another slap in the face to Cleveland.

"Even their beat reporter doesn't want to be there"

Fuck em! The best case scenario would be for the Cavs to win a championship, so him, Z, and LeDouche will eat their crow. He's the enemy now.

2 people like this.
  16. ClevelandOwnz

ClevelandOwnz Sixth Man

I have respect for him.. i guess. But wow ... this only boost LeBron fat ego even more that people in Cleveland need to continue too ride his dick! This just means we are not going to get those books he talked about writing with how the Cavs and LeBron James was a complete mess.

1 person likes this.
  17. DDJ7777

DDJ7777 Cleveland Sports Homer

Grown men following other grown men to do their jobs. I don't get it. Later Windy.

1 person likes this.
  18. Lee

Lee Golden Shower Member

Really? You dont get it? People change jobs all the time to new companies in the bussiness world. One exec leaves for a competitor, most of his team follows. That said, Windy really had no choice. He will now get his foot in the door with the biggest sports media outlet in the world. Today he is going to cover the Heat, but in 3 or 4 years with his talent who knows?

This situation is nothing like Lebron leaving, people are just being overly sensitive. The PD is a local newspaper, this is like leaving the anchor job on Chanel 3, to take on a national weekend anchor job. Its not a horizontal move like Lebron's going to another team, its a vertical move that comes with more money and more opportunity.

Good luck Windy. You are a class act, and I am glad you are getting your shot in the big league of reporting. I hope your talent isnt wasted on the Heat for to much longer and you become one of their lead basketball reporters for all of the league. :thumbup:

11 people like this.
  19. mAo_mAo

mAo_mAo NBA Starter

I guess Windy will be fatter with a fatter check down in souff bitch.

20. DDJ7777

DDJ7777 Cleveland Sports Homer

I get the money thing, sure. I just wouldn't want to be the guy that chases LeBron around. If that's what it takes for him to get more well known nationally, then that's his decision. I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't want to be that guy.