• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Wine Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FiveThous

All-Star
Reaction score
We have a beer thread, a quick search didn't yield any major wine threads, so here we go.

As some of us know NE Ohio is infamous for it's soil in regards to growing grapes. I had the chance to work for a winery for 5 years while in college. I'm no wine connoisseur but I know enough to be dangerous. I live in NC now where the local wines are terribly sweet and I count my blessings for Total Wine frequently.

Do we have any wine drinkers here? If so, what have you been drinking lately? What are your favorite types or regions to drink?

I drink a lot of Cabernet Sauvignons, Pinot Noirs, Rieslings and some Gewurztraminer.

Last edited:
I've been on a beer and scotch kick for about three years, but I live 20 minutes from wine country. I gave up beer to gain a wine palate when I first moved to the West Coast.

When it comes to meals, I often prefer a glass of wine over beer or scotch. Wine helps with heightening flavor of food and doesn't fill you up like a beer.

For my wife's birthday, I steamed live crab and mussels, photo included at the bottom. I also ordered a chocolate mousse cake. If you aren't drinking a nice Northern California Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio with seafood, you are doing it wrong. I went with a 12 year scotch with my cake, but that's a story for a different thread. I'd also happily drink a Nor Cal Zinfendel with cake... but scotch cuts the sweetness better for me.

Attachments

• BDay.jpg
    BDay.jpg
    968 KB · Views: 1
Totally agree on the pinot with seafood, everyone usually assumes fish = white, but that's not always the case.
I'm trying to get my gf into fuller body, dry reds so I've been drinking a lot more Pinot Noir as I try to bring her along to the dry side. The good news, she drank 3/4 of a bottle of my Cab Suav two weeks ago. The bad news, she drank 3/4 of a bottle of my Cab Suav I was drinking that week. :chuckle:

If you prefer Cabs, do yourself a favor: Buy about 10 different $20 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon as a splurge this year... and make a solemn vow not to open them for a year. Buy wines ready to drink this year that don't need aging, like pinot noirs or malbecs.

People think you should only store expensive bottles in a wine cellar or collection. That isn't the case at all. Some varieties should be drank earlier than others, like a malbec or red table wine. I never age white wines, they tend to lose their taste peak first. Cabs should absolutely be cellared for best effect - even if the bottle was in the $15-25 dollar range.

When you do open one of your nicer cabernets a year from now, you will taste a lot less of the "fuzziness" and more of a clean taste. Replace that bottle with another cab, but put that one at the back of the line for drinking, hopefully that one will last you over a year.

Drinking bottle aged cabs is great, it kind of ruins the freshly purchased cabs afterwards, but in a good way.

Interesting, I never really thought of that. Although a bottle is lucky to last 3-4 nights once I open it.

Anyone make a Gold Thread joke yet?

Why do wines wines and Coffee have a long and hard to pronounce name? Macchiato, cabernet sauvignon - It is easier for me to drink it than pronounce it.

Why do wines wines and Coffee have a long and hard to pronounce name? Macchiato, cabernet sauvignon - It is easier for me to drink it than pronounce it.

Yea.....couldn't they have names like weed? Fire, Skunk, and Dumpster. It would make life much easier.

If you want a legitimate reason, its one of the more interesting lessons in economics.

For hundreds of years, European winemakers were an absolute monopoly. Regions of Europe were convinced certain areas had the best ________. That included grape varieties all over France and Italy, Regions of the United Kingdom were considered masters of certain whiskeys, Germans and Cechs had the best beers, every region had their specialty. This is why wine can only be called "Champagne" or "Burgundy" if they come from a specific French region, "Scotch" can only be made in Scotland, and so on.

Then in 1976, something significant happened. In a blind tasting of French wines, a British man named Stephen Spurrier entered a number of Northern California wines using cuttings of traditional French vines and grape varietals, and the California wines swept the competition.

So suddenly any region of the world could grow wine, and they have. It has carried over to breweries and hard alcohol as well: people no longer consider the region alcohol is made in to be the definition of its quality.

But the names of many of these wines come from Italian, French, or German countries that once held a monopoly on the grape variety.

Oregon (like Ohio) just doesn't produce great cabs unfortunately (eastern Washington is where us PNW folks turn for a meaty red)... But we do have some wonderful Pinot Noirs. If you happen to see an Oregon Pinot Noir on the shelf, try it out.

ZooCrew, Cheateau St Michelle has reds that are as good as anyone; they've been a favorite of mine for about a decade now.

I had no interest in wines, until I started to work at a steakhouse and my $$$$was affected. Started by learning about Italian wines, then French, and then American wines to peddle to customers. Eventually, I learned about other major regions, and I became kind of a red wine douche. Before I did the leap of faith to start FF/EMT school, my old employer (Marriott) was prepared to pay for me to sit for the Sommelier first exam (no blind tasting, just pretty much a wine geography test).

I agree 100% about buying/keeping cabs for over a year, but I can hardly ever let any booze in my house gather dust. I usually just try something new at Total Wine in the $15 range, nowadays.

bumping this thread.

I was chatting with my brother who lives in Brooklyn, OH. Are there any decent stores he could find a decent selection with reasonably priced wines in or around his area? He's looking for Grenache and other alternative reds so I'm not sure a grocery store may have that specific of a selection.

If you prefer Cabs, do yourself a favor: Buy about 10 different $20 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon as a splurge this year... and make a solemn vow not to open them for a year. Buy wines ready to drink this year that don't need aging, like pinot noirs or malbecs.

People think you should only store expensive bottles in a wine cellar or collection. That isn't the case at all. Some varieties should be drank earlier than others, like a malbec or red table wine. I never age white wines, they tend to lose their taste peak first. Cabs should absolutely be cellared for best effect - even if the bottle was in the $15-25 dollar range.

When you do open one of your nicer cabernets a year from now, you will taste a lot less of the "fuzziness" and more of a clean taste. Replace that bottle with another cab, but put that one at the back of the line for drinking, hopefully that one will last you over a year.

Drinking bottle aged cabs is great, it kind of ruins the freshly purchased cabs afterwards, but in a good way.
I only half pay attention when we make trips to wine country but IIRC, adding wine gets rid of the tannins (in layman's terms). So, it more depends on what you're looking for with the wine on whether to agree it or not. I prefer the high tannin levels when I drink wine. Those that prefer a softer, smoother wine would look to age it, correct?

Also, Paso>Napa.. But still haven't devoted a weekend to Sonoma.

I only half pay attention when we make trips to wine country but IIRC, adding wine gets rid of the tannins (in layman's terms). So, it more depends on what you're looking for with the wine on whether to agree it or not. I prefer the high tannin levels when I drink wine. Those that prefer a softer, smoother wine would look to age it, correct?

Also, Paso>Napa.. But still haven't devoted a weekend to Sonoma.

Ho-ly- shitballs. Weren't you the guy giving me the business in "EAYOR Chat Night" for drinking red wine while operating a sock puppet?

Didn't see this cumming.

Anyway, I don't think there's one answer for "this is good wine." I don't like a lot of tannins anymore, I lIke them softened. Some of it has to do with hangovers for me. Others do like tannins and don't have that issue, drink what you like.

I do want to talk Napa/Sonoma/Paso Robles though. The problem with Napa is that the money became too easy for them. It's a bunch of beautiful grounds and Vistas with average wine, because they are making bank that way and have for 30 years. There are others who are newer and it's hard to reserve a tasting, the wines are near impossible to buy without a reservation or tasting room reservation.

I have been to Paso a few times, stayed the night once. I can visit wineries for a day trip, but for me I really feel the full experience of the vacationer on the rare occasion I get a room with the little lady. Paso is a modernized wine country experience, and they are still making a mark. They will try harder for tourist dollars, Napa doesn't do that anymore. They seem to tap into the Salinas produce market for food, so the restaurant scene is also great. If you don't mind everything smelling vaguely of farms, it's a nice three day weekend. I just have a hard time believing the hotel prices for a farm country experience. That's just me.

Sonoma is in between, and perfect for me because I can drive home afterward. I have gotten to know and love the wineries, so I am biased. The restaurant scene is off the hook, objectively. You can also get to urban SF or Oakland easily, which breaks up the trip for visitors.

Are you talking about the actual wine you are drinking or the experience being there? Forgot to ask.

Ho-ly- shitballs. Weren't you the guy giving me the business in "EAYOR Chat Night" for drinking red wine while operating a sock puppet?

Didn't see this cumming.

Anyway, I don't think there's one answer for "this is good wine." I don't like a lot of tannins anymore, I lIke them softened. Some of it has to do with hangovers for me. Others do like tannins and don't have that issue, drink what you like.

I do want to talk Napa/Sonoma/Paso Robles though. The problem with Napa is that the money became too easy for them. It's a bunch of beautiful grounds and Vistas with average wine, because they are making bank that way and have for 30 years. There are others who are newer and it's hard to reserve a tasting, the wines are near impossible to buy without a reservation or tasting room reservation.

I have been to Paso a few times, stayed the night once. I can visit wineries for a day trip, but for me I really feel the full experience of the vacationer on the rare occasion I get a room with the little lady. Paso is a modernized wine country experience, and they are still making a mark. They will try harder for tourist dollars, Napa doesn't do that anymore. They seem to tap into the Salinas produce market for food, so the restaurant scene is also great. If you don't mind everything smelling vaguely of farms, it's a nice three day weekend. I just have a hard time believing the hotel prices for a farm country experience. That's just me.

Sonoma is in between, and perfect for me because I can drive home afterward. I have gotten to know and love the wineries, so I am biased. The restaurant scene is off the hook, objectively. You can also get to urban SF or Oakland easily, which breaks up the trip for visitors.

Are you talking about the actual wine you are drinking or the experience being there? Forgot to ask.
I can know (a little) about it and still make fun of you. I do agree with you about Napa and paso. Within driving for both so haven't had to get a hotel. Paso's scene is just better. And even though I prefer a cab to most other wines, I'll take paso syrah if I'm going tasting. Their whites also appeal to me more, though I'm not much of a white wine person.

I don't know when I'll spend a couple days in Sonoma but what vineyards do you suggest?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."