1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Woj Analyzes the New NBA Landscape

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by theSTEREO., Jan 31, 2013.

1. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

Smooth posted part of this in the Lebron thread, but it really has more significance than just the LBJ to Cleveland rumors (and that portion can obviously be discussed in the Lebron thread)

The bigger part is that this article shows how keenly this team is being built on the future of the league, and we may be in a better position than any other team when you combine our youth talent with an owner that won't be having a Grizzlies style fire sale for quite some time, if ever.

We always talk about how no Free Agents want to come to Cleveland, but its interesting how much better of a landing spot we might be than we ever have been before.

Read the whole article if you can.

• Like Like x 44
  2. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

I think what Woj is missing is that the Griz managment doesn't necessarily see these moves as purely cost cutting. Hollinger has to be telling the Griz management that these moves 1) could possibly help short term and 2) open up their salary structure a bit so that they are not "on a collision course with suck" like they were a few weeks ago when their salary cap picture looked bleak.

The people that really hate moves like this are the agents and their clients that are looking for an undeserved payday. The sports writers whose sources are agents are going to be ripping these trades.

• Like Like x 10
  3. theSTEREO.

True, but the undercurrent is definitely there. The axe is gonna come down on a lot of the super teams and will prevent a lot from getting started.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jack Brickman

Jack Brickman Preview Team

Woj also doesn't seem to be accounting for the fact that Rudy Gay has been absolutely terrible this year. He was putting up a PER of less than fifteen and making 18 million dollars for his trouble. If Rudy Gay had been playing how he's played in past years, maybe Woj would have had a better argument, but to me it seems like the Grizzlies shed a cancerous contract and got a little better in the process.

That said, I do think they could have gotten a better deal for Calderon, who is a pretty good point guard. Ironically, he had the highest PER in the entire deal and was an expiring contract, yet the Grizzlies offloaded him for two replacement level guys (Prince and Daye), with Prince being on a bad deal.

• Like Like x 2
  5. catfish

catfish In the Rotation

I think Toronto came out worst in the deal. What is Woj trying to imply by writing about Gilbert's letter again? Reading W&G's post in the Lebron thread there seems to be some stuff that has still not come out.

6. theSTEREO.

I think what he was trying to imply was pretty clear. That after the Decision show, Lebron was already thinking about reconsidering, but Dan's angry letter kinda made that impossible.

Also I don't think that W&G's post was all that cryptic either. Basically that Lebron and his team have interest in coming back, but Dan's not just gonna hug him on the road like the prodigal son. I imagine there'd have to be some face to face repair before a discussion even took place, and that face to face can't happen until he's a free agent.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jon

Jon ~

Woj also missed the part about Memphis getting crappy offers for Gay as long as everyone knew they had to get under the luxury tax, albeit the offer they settled on apparently didn't even include a pick, so I can't imagine they did much better.

From what I've read, a big reason Gay wasn't playing well in Memphis is because he's a guy who operates in the paint, and there's no room left in the paint when your front line consists of Gasol & Randolph. Toronto, otoh, is fond of bigs who can shoot ... and now Memphis has a SF who can be effective out on the perimeter.

On paper, the trade could work out well for both teams - all while Memphis achieves their goal of reducing their cap space to a manageable level.

In the "New NBA Landscape" you're foolish to try to sustain a faux-big-3, and a true-big-3 is going to be something reserved for luxury tax payers.

• Like Like x 3
  8. bigfoot5415

bigfoot5415 The Original HN3108

Wanna repost his comment here? I cannot seem to find it.

9. Triplethreat

Triplethreat Sixth Man

It's going to make for a much more fun, balanced, and enjoyable NBA too.

Competitive teams all around.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pyro

Pyro Banned

This is front-page news on Yahoo. My goodness. The hype machine is ramping up.

11. calleger

calleger Sixth Man

Is the media so in love with the HEAT, that they forgot Pat Riley publicly told Dwayne Wade, in the season before he was free agent, he wasn't spending money on a borderline playoff team?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Be Nimble

Be Nimble I enjoy pancakes

This is my favorite part of the article

No mention of ESPN. I love it.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Noonan

Noonan #howu

Shorter version of this article is that Dan Gilbert won. He and other smaller market owners killed the super teams. And Gilbert might even have that result in LeBron returning to Cleveland. Game, blouses.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Be Nimble

I don't really get the point of this article. All it is really doing is bashing Memphis for slashing salary and then saying Lebron could return to Cleveland.

What is the new NBA landscape?...The Lakers and Nets "super teams" were created after the lockout. The Grizz just have an owner like the Indians who wants to turn in a profit. Forget about winning.

• Like Like x 1
  15. *L-Train*

*L-Train* NBA Starter

they also killed small market teams like OKC (and Memphis) who drafted all of their young talent and had to trade one of their core players for financial reasons. just wait till our young players will be ready to get paid...in 2-3 years you'll hate those same rules (assuming the Cavs continue to draft well)

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  16. Be Nimble

It would be nice if the whole NBA would agree to stop overpaying bigs. Maybe there wouldn't be such a struggle to keep it under the cap then...like Roy Hibbert gets a max contract...how many big guys are better than Hibbert? I would say a whole lot so how many more max contracts are we going to be seeing? I mean if Hibbert gets a max contract, then if I was Varejao, Boozer, Noah, Lopez, Horford, or Monroe, I'd think I'd be max contract worthy too.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Towel Waver

How can anyone take this guy seriously when he actually suggested that LeBron might have changed his mind if not for Gilberts letter. That is something some lunatic fan would write.

• Like Like x 1
  18. theSTEREO.

Woj uses strong and colorful language, but he's not a guy to make stuff up. I assume there is at least a little something to it.

19. Jack Brickman

Jack Brickman Preview Team

It's weird how he's super accurate with his news reporting, but is the ultimate soap box guy in his articles.

• Like Like x 5
  20. theSTEREO.

Maybe he's overly critical of the Memphis deal, but its an undeniable fact that these super teams are going to have to start shedding salary.

The major effects of the CBA don't take effect until 2014 when the repeater tax hits. For some teams, the luxury tax becomes 5x more than it was under the old system, which means some of these teams will be looking at Yankees type payrolls.

And yes, the Lakers and Nets were built after the CBA, but they were built in the short term based on very specific circumstances:

The Lakers are built for this year, but by the time the tax would hit them, guys like Kobe, Gasol and after how crazy they have been this year, maybe even Howard will be off the books.

The Nets are gonna be in a real bind because they HAD to put together a semi winning product for their big Brooklyn launch, and they are gonna have some tough decisions in a few years too, although maybe less so because Prokhorov is a baller.

• Like Like x 3