Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,458 Times in 2,751 Posts

Default MLB draft signings

Just an FYI, The Indians signed 20 of their top 23 picks in what was one of their most aggressive drafts in a long time. In lamens, this is great news and was probably a top 3 draft in baseball.

The one guy who I really liked, Birch Smith, was a redraft and for whatever reason decided to go back to school.

Here's a break down of some of the signings:

Pomeranz $2.65
    Washington $1.2
    Wolters $1.35
    Blair $580K
    Cook $299K
    Bartolone $125K
    Aviles $150K
    Lavisky $1.0M
    Cooper $125K
    Holt $500K
    Goodnight $315K
    Dischler $255K
    Bradley $125K

That totals: $8.674M on 13 picks. So, let it be told, the Indians ownership does give a fuck about this team and does want to compete. The only other team, less Washington Nats, that spent more than the Tribe were the Pirates.

I'm really excited to see the development of Wolters (think a Pedroia clone, minus the dickhead attitude), Washington (Could develop into a power hitter, could develop into a lead off guy. No clue yet) and Aviles (big risk, big reward. Can top out around 96 MPH but needed TJ surgery. Has ace potential).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 563 Posts

Default Re: MLB draft signings

Man I can't wait for 5-6 years down the road when we can trade these guys away.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

I used to watch/babysit Alex Lavisky when he was a kid. I'm glad to see that him and his family are now mostly set and that he has a chance to be even more successful, Congratulations to him, he is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhioSlayer View Post
    Man I can't wait for 5-6 years down the road when we can trade these guys away.
    Man I can't wait for you to stop posting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damage View Post
    Man I can't wait for you to stop posting.
    Hey, the truth is the truth. I am a huge Tribe fan. Always have been. Its annoying that we can spend money to draft them but once they are developed we let them go. It flat out sucks. This draft class has me excited for sure and for the time being I will just try and enjoy the prospects and the hopes for the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,732 Times in 3,925 Posts

Hey, the truth is the truth. I am a huge Tribe fan. Always have been. Its annoying that we can spend money to draft them but once they are developed we let them go. It flat out sucks. This draft class has me excited for sure and for the time being I will just try and enjoy the prospects and the hopes for the future.
    Keep hoping for better & better drafts.

The problem isn't that we keep trading these guys away. That's the reality of the situation. The problem is that we haven't been drafting well enough to replace them when we do trade them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoFloDeepintheQ View Post
    Keep hoping for better & better drafts.

The problem isn't that we keep trading these guys away. That's the reality of the situation. The problem is that we haven't been drafting well enough to replace them when we do trade them.
    I agree with the bad drafting. But I disagree with trading them all too and just find (hopeful) replacements. The Dolans needs to spend some money so they can make some money. I am tired of being a AAA club for the MLB.

Thanks

I agree with the bad drafting. But I disagree with trading them all too and just find (hopeful) replacements. The Dolans needs to spend some money so they can make some money. I am tired of being a AAA club for the MLB.
    And dropping 9M on a draft class (the most the Indians as a franchise has ever spent on the draft if I remember correctly) isn't spending money?

I agree that there are plenty of things to complain about in regards to the Indians, but this isn't one of them.

When you're a small market team, this is the only way you can compete consistently. You have to pour your available resources into your scouting, drafting, and player development. Then you have to make smart trades of veterans that you aren't going to be able to resign. Finally, you have to try and avoid locking yourselves into payroll killing long term deals for veterans that aren't worth the commitment.

I'm just glad the Indians finally seem to recognizing the first step in the process.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,221 Times in 1,378 Posts

Just an FYI, The Indians signed 20 of their top 23 picks in what was one of their most aggressive drafts in a long time. In lamens, this is great news and was probably a top 3 draft in baseball.

The one guy who I really liked, Birch Smith, was a redraft and for whatever reason decided to go back to school.

Here's a break down of some of the signings:

Pomeranz $2.65
    Washington $1.2
    Wolters $1.35
    Blair $580K
    Cook $299K
    Bartolone $125K
    Aviles $150K
    Lavisky $1.0M
    Cooper $125K
    Holt $500K
    Goodnight $315K
    Dischler $255K
    Bradley $125K

That totals: $8.674M on 13 picks. So, let it be told, the Indians ownership does give a fuck about this team and does want to compete. The only other team, less Washington Nats, that spent more than the Tribe were the Pirates.

I'm really excited to see the development of Wolters (think a Pedroia clone, minus the dickhead attitude), Washington (Could develop into a power hitter, could develop into a lead off guy. No clue yet) and Aviles (big risk, big reward. Can top out around 96 MPH but needed TJ surgery. Has ace potential).

Good to see them investing in the draft so heavily...here's hoping that at least a few of these guys pan out to their potential now.

Situational Stopper Danboone2006's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you imagine if they'd had even semi productive drafts from 2000-2008? That's 9 consecutive years of constant failures through the best avenue of building a team. It makes 2007 a REALLY incredible feat when you think about it. Off the top of my head the only 5 players on that team drafted by the Tribe were CC, Laffey, Garko, Francisco and Jensen Lewis. That team was built from Latin player development, and trades.

The Lavisky signing is exciting to me from a novelty standpoint.

I couldn't believe that Stetson Allie got $2.25 bonus. I went out to a couple Ed's games this year and good lord could that kid throw, but sitting behind the backstop I felt legit scared for the batters because I felt that Allie had no clue where he was throwing.
    "If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."

Thanks

The economics in baseball are ridiculous. CBBI summed it up best. It ain't the 90's anymore. We had a booming economy, cleveland was thriving, new stadium, new bars/restaurants, great team, no Browns, etc...We are a mid market team. Nature of the beast.

Thanks

The economics in baseball are ridiculous. CBBI summed it up best. It ain't the 90's anymore. We had a booming economy, cleveland was thriving, new stadium, new bars/restaurants, great team, no Browns, etc...We are a mid market team. Nature of the beast.
    I understand that part , but I mean come on. We can't spend money to keep any young stud we could grow through our system? Seems like we would just rather spend millions to sign old vets who have no business playing on our team through a rebuilding process.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 792 Posts

I think the Tribe's draft deserves some props, they took alot of risks and signed several of them. This is definitely a departure from the norm. However, I am not necessarily a fan of ramping up spending- to me, I don't get how spending more money on the exact same talent pool makes sense, but that is just me apparently. The Indians' prior stressing of college players wasn't so much the problem as the guys they took- for example, passing on Dustin Pedroia in 04 to take Justin Hoyman. The 2008 draft right now looks to be the best in years for the team and they didn't go apeshit on the signing bonuses for that one either. Either way, it looks like player development is getting a boost after so many mediocre years of drafting and this was badly, badly needed.

Boone- yeah, that Allie bonus seemed absurd, and I am kind of shocked at what Lavisky got. Best of wishes to both; Allie has a long way to go getting that fastball under control, hopefully he doesn't mind cutting a few mph off to get it in the zone. The Pirates' GM is former Tribe FO member Neal Hungtington, and the Pirates spent even more than the Tribe on the draft this year. Guess we will have to check back in a few years and see if it was worth it.

Thanks

I understand that part , but I mean come on. We can't spend money to keep any young stud we could grow through our system? Seems like we would just rather spend millions to sign old vets who have no business playing on our team through a rebuilding process.
    .... still not getting it...

Thanks

.... still not getting it...
    Oh I get it.

I am sorry, I promise I will work on being happy with sucking all the time. I will work on staying in a Cleveland mind frame.