Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Default Re: MLB draft signings

Quote Originally Posted by OhioSlayer View Post
    I understand that part , but I mean come on. We can't spend money to keep any young stud we could grow through our system? Seems like we would just rather spend millions to sign old vets who have no business playing on our team through a rebuilding process.
    Grady Sizemore got a 6 year 23.45M dollar deal at age 22.

Fausto Carmona got a 7 year 43M (4 year team with 3 team option years on the end) dollar deal at age 24.

Travis Hafner got a 4 year, 57M dollar deal at age 30 coming off a three year run where he was the best hitter in the AL.

Now you can say those signings didn't work out perfectly in hindsight sure, but that was our best positional player, a starter who won 19 and dominated in the first round of the playoffs, and the best hitter in the league all resigned by the team.

I'm assuming the "young studs" you're pissed we didn't keep were Sabathia, Lee, and Martinez?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 561 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CBBI View Post
    Grady Sizemore got a 6 year 23.45M dollar deal at age 22.

Fausto Carmona got a 7 year 43M (4 year team with 3 team option years on the end) dollar deal at age 24.

Travis Hafner got a 4 year, 57M dollar deal at age 30 coming off a three year run where he was the best hitter in the AL.

Now you can say those signings didn't work out perfectly in hindsight sure, but that was our best positional player, a starter who won 19 and dominated in the first round of the playoffs, and the best hitter in the league all resigned by the team.

I'm assuming the "young studs" you're pissed we didn't keep were Sabathia, Lee, and Martinez?

I never liked the Hafner deal for the record and I was a huge Hafner fan. Sizemore hasn't done what he was built up to do mainly because of injuries. Carmona I am not sure what happend there but we probably will trade him this offseason. I wasn't all that pissed with trading CC because I think we got a good haul. I thought we could of got more for Lee though. Victor I was sad to see go but we have a very good replacement in Carlos.

I guess the tribe can change my mind a little on how they handle the Choo situation. Sure we signed those 3 guys as you mentioned before but we can do much better then now then just signing old vets. We don't need a bunch of old vets. Its not like we are on the verge to begin with. We have a very good core IMO and can do some damage in the future so lets lock up our core and let the young kids play. Looks at how the Rays did it.

Thanks

I guess the tribe can change my mind a little on how they handle the Choo situation. Sure we signed those 3 guys as you mentioned before but we can do much better then now then just signing old vets. We don't need a bunch of old vets. Its not like we are on the verge to begin with. We have a very good core IMO and can do some damage in the future so lets lock up our core and let the young kids play. Looks at how the Rays did it.
    The Choo situation is an interesting one to me. I have a feeling you might end up being really disappointed with the way that one turns out, but hear me out for a second.

Choo just turned 28 and he's under Indians control until the end of the 2013 season. At that point he's going to be 31 years old. Yes, he does have arbitration coming up and he is going to get a dramatic raise, but the fact remains that he cannot leave the Indians for 3 more seasons if the Indians don't want him to leave.

Now obviously 31 isn't ancient by any stretch of the imagination and I also think he can continue to OPS .880 throughout the next three seasons.

Herein lies the problem.

His agent is Scott Boras. There's no possible way Boras will allow Choo to take anything less then absolute maximum dollars. So in three years, when Choo is 31 and Boras comes to Shap and asks for a 5 year, 60M dollar deal. Then what?

It could potentially be the Travis Hafner situation all over again.

Edit: Speaking of the Rays, it's a near certainty they lose Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena, and Rafael Soriano at the end of this season. They locked up Longoria at a young age (very similar to the way the Indians locked up Sizemore early), but when he turns 28-29 years old and is due that second massive contract extension, what are the Rays going to do then? Are they going to pony up the 150+ million it would likely take to keep that guy?
    Last edited by CBBI; 08-19-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks

The Choo situation is an interesting one to me. I have a feeling you might end up being really disappointed with the way that one turns out, but hear me out for a second.

Choo just turned 28 and he's under Indians control until the end of the 2013 season. At that point he's going to be 31 years old. Yes, he does have arbitration coming up and he is going to get a dramatic raise, but the fact remains that he cannot leave the Indians for 3 more seasons if the Indians don't want him to leave.

Now obviously 31 isn't ancient by any stretch of the imagination and I also think he can continue to OPS .880 throughout the next three seasons.

Herein lies the problem.

His agent is Scott Boras. There's no possible way Boras will allow Choo to take anything less then absolute maximum dollars. So in three years, when Choo is 31 and Boras comes to Shap and asks for a 5 year, 60M dollar deal. Then what?

It could potentially be the Travis Hafner situation all over again.
    I love Choo and think he will be good well into his thirties. Having said that no way do I sign him at 31 years old to a 5 year 60m deal. I would sign him to that right now but not at 31. Like I said, as much as I love Choo I don't want to handicap this franchise anymore and signing a 31 year old to that deal would be doing just that.

Thanks

I love Choo and think he will be good well into his thirties. Having said that no way do I sign him at 31 years old to a 5 year 60m deal. I would sign him to that right now but not at 31. Like I said, as much as I love Choo I don't want to handicap this franchise anymore and signing a 31 year old to that deal would be doing just that.
    If he's under control for 3 more years, why extend him at all?

Yes, he's going to make a lot of money in arbitration, but not 60 million dollars.

I'd just let him play out his remaining three years here and wish him well on his time served with the team in 2013.

Thanks

Yes, he's going to make a lot of money in arbitration, but not 60 million dollars.

I'd just let him play out his remaining three years here and wish him well on his time served with the team in 2013.
    I'm sure we'll have someone in our farm system ready by 2013 to be able to take over RF, if/when Choo leaves.
    Chart of Seans
    Sean - Your child will be a heavy drinker. - thanks keys
    Shawn - Your child will be a ladies man.
    Shonn - Your child will fumble often.
    Shawon - Your child will play second base forever.
    Chone - Your mother smoked rocks.
    Chaun - Your child will look like an athlete, but actually suck.
    Shaun - Your child can't keep his hands off other men's junk.

-RandolphKeys

Thanks

Ya, thats true. I was just trying to say that I would only sign him to that deal now not later given his age not his current contract situation.

Thanks

Edit: Speaking of the Rays, it's a near certainty they lose Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena, and Rafael Soriano at the end of this season. They locked up Longoria at a young age (very similar to the way the Indians locked up Sizemore early), but when he turns 28-29 years old and is due that second massive contract extension, what are the Rays going to do then? Are they going to pony up the 150+ million it would likely take to keep that guy?
    The way the Rays develop players they will probably have an all star 3b ready to take over and not miss a step.

Thanks

I was wondering if someone on here could explain to me why the transition to major league baseball longer than other sports. What i mean by that is the process of moving through the minor leagues, where in other sports rookies are much closer to playing time once they are drafted.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,552 Times in 5,387 Posts

The way the Rays develop players they will probably have an all star 3b ready to take over and not miss a step.
    Oh really?

Pretty solid statement after three good years. I wonder if other fans said the same about the Indians during their runs in 05/07...

They're in their "window" just like everyone else...part of the core is leaving this season and it's all downhill from there.

Aside from Desmond Jennings, there isn't anyone else in the system that will even sniff a top 100 list from a position players standpoint.

They're the best at what they do from a small market/drafting standpoint....but they've got about 3 years to win before you start over...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    Oh really?

Pretty solid statement after three good years. I wonder if other fans said the same about the Indians during their runs in 05/07...

They're in their "window" just like everyone else...part of the core is leaving this season and it's all downhill from there.

Aside from Desmond Jennings, there isn't anyone else in the system that will even sniff a top 100 list from a position players standpoint.

They're the best at what they do from a small market/drafting standpoint....but they've got about 3 years to win before you start over...
    Yes really. You just said it.

Situational Stopper Danboone2006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjhughes View Post
    I was wondering if someone on here could explain to me why the transition to major league baseball longer than other sports. What i mean by that is the process of moving through the minor leagues, where in other sports rookies are much closer to playing time once they are drafted.
    There are many different reasons for this. In short, the level of competition is way higher due to the draft process. The best HS players, College players, Latin players are all there.

For pitchers, a guy can live in HS (especially) and college with an over powering fastball. In the minors pitchers will work on perfecting and adding an off speed pitch, and or a breaking ball.

For a hitter, switching to wood bats is one of the bigger issues, a lot of times players are also getting moved around defensively.
    "If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."